Had to watch Pretty in Pink on a 4 hour drive with my cousin.

Tools    

Is it just me or is Duckie the single likable and(or) interesting character in that entire film? I hated the main character, don't like Molly Ringwald as an actress, and all the other people were absolute douchebags! even the "lovable dad" character was a drunk-off-his-ass deadbeat who lied all the time. I know its not meant to be an intellectual movie in the slightest but i just needed to rant to someone and hey, this forum is about movie films.
thoughts?
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Is it just me or is Duckie the single likable and(or) interesting character in that entire film? I hated the main character, don't like Molly Ringwald as an actress, and all the other people were absolute douchebags! even the "lovable dad" character was a drunk-off-his-ass deadbeat who lied all the time. I know its not meant to be an intellectual movie in the slightest but i just needed to rant to someone and hey, this forum is about movie films.
thoughts?
It's been a looooong time since I watched that film, but I remember it and Molly Ringwald being fairly interesting (whatever happened to her career, by the way?).

Funny thing--couple of ladies from our high school clique of friends from the Class of '61 called me after watching the film on TV one evening to tell me Duckie reminded them of me back then. Hairstyle was sorta similar, but my attire was much cooler. I mean, just look at those rolled up trousers! And I was much better looking, of course.

I like the film a lot, especially Annie Potts as Iona from the record shop .

Back in my youth though I had a crush on Molly Ringwald along with Lea Thompson, and thought Duckie was the second coolest ever after Marty McFly. So yeah I'm a fan, it's a tender story, nicely played, especially by Harry Dean Stanton as Andie's dad. Sure it's a bit sentimental, and Ringwald's dress (after such a build up) at the end of the film is hideous, but I saw it as a teen, so nostalgia takes over.
Sorry if that's not the kind of input you were looking for.

All I remember is Molly Ringwald in ugly clothes and glasses. It did NOT work for her. This movie should have ruined her career.

Or did it? She's not around that much anymore, although she was recently on The View.

I thought it was cute movie when i first saw it it is what i call an movie

An "ironing movie" nebbit? What does that mean?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I assume that means it's a film to have on (or in the background) whilst ironing. Either that or this is one of the euphemisms that I've missed.

I like Molly Ringwald and John Hughes films, but I've never understood the appeal of Pretty In Pink. I read it pretty much the same way as you seem to have Spirit.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I believe an ironing movie is one that's easy to watch while you have a couple of hours of ironing to do. You don't have to keep your eyes on it all the time, but you can listen to it. Besides, it occasionally might make you "all warm and fuzzy".

it is a no brainer that I watch while even if you miss a bit it doesn't matter

I still say that smiley looks like it is ironing roadkill.

thoughts?
I don't think I've ever seen Pretty in Pink but I would give it a go.

What really made me laugh here is the notion that The Spirit's cousin could somehow have dragged the film out for the full 4-hour drive .

Your feelings about this movie might have been colored by the situation in which you were forced to watch it, but I would recommend a re-watch on your timetable and even though there might be elements of truth to what you say about the film, you should try to look at "the big picture" in terms of the story being presented and you might see a really lovely story...yes there are good guys and bad guys and these people aren't perfect (including Duckie), but there's nothing in this movie that doesn't ring true. I won't lie, I was troubled by Andie's choice at the end of the film, but I've realized over the years with several re-watches that I didn't get what I wanted but Andie got what she wanted.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i love Pretty in Pink. one of my favorite movies of all-time. i love the fashion, the hokey dialogue, Annie Potts, and i ****ing looove James Spader as Steff