Eastwood's elusive cigarette trick!

Tools    

You want to post like me?
Have you ever heard of, or seen a clip of an interview that goes like this:

Reporter: Why do you think, that people think you're so cool?
Eastwood merely looks at the reporter, taps at the bottom of a pack of marlboros in his breast pocket after which a cigarette soars up into the air - he cathces it between his lips - lights it and says (while blowing smoke at the reporter) "I really have no idea".

I heard it from a friend but I can't find it anywhere. I gotta see this!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would tell you to check urbanlegends.com, but that's a real site and they have nothing on it, so maybe you can check bs.com instead? Nah, that one's BS too! WTF?

Holden should have plenty to say about this, I would think.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Another urban legend, sadly - Clint is Laurel's son.

There is a resemblance, to be fair.

there's a frog in my snake oil
For what it's worth i've seen that clip, and it's probably spawned a thousand smokers - coz it is ludicrously, audaciously slick. Can't remember on what chat show - possibly Parkinson or Wogan? Back in the day, when all the panelling was beige, i seem to remember. (Poss late 70s, more likely early/mid 80s -altho i think that's when all the panelling turned blue. Hmm. Now i'm confused.)

When all the panelling was beige... Love that. That reminds me; who loves it when the panelling is carpeting? That was a very strong interior choice was it not?

For what it's worth i've seen that clip, and it's probably spawned a thousand smokers - coz it is ludicrously, audaciously slick. Can't remember on what chat show - possibly Parkinson or Wogan? Back in the day, when all the panelling was beige, i seem to remember. (Poss late 70s, more likely early/mid 80s -altho i think that's when all the panelling turned blue. Hmm. Now i'm confused.)
That definitely rings a bell now. When I first saw the thread I had some sort of vague recollection of Clint doing a magic trick, but nothing firmer than that - maybe it was the above, maybe something totally different or maybe bullsh*t that I thought I remembered.

What's bugging me is that something like this should have ended up on YouTube - All of Parky's famous stuff is there, ditto Wogan's (I wonder if he was a guest with dear old Russell Harty?). Maybe I'm just not searching hard enough...

If it existed, You-tube would have it. They've had pretty much everything, at one time or another.

This thread brings up another question.

Originally Posted by Powdered Wawa
That reminds me; who loves it when the panelling is carpeting? That was a very strong interior choice was it not?
Why in the hell would you carpet your walls, and how in the hell would you ever vacuum them? Seriously! Your arms would give out eventually.

That's really two questions . . .

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Tacitus
That definitely rings a bell now. When I first saw the thread I had some sort of vague recollection of Clint doing a magic trick, but nothing firmer than that - maybe it was the above, maybe something totally different or maybe bullsh*t that I thought I remembered.

What's bugging me is that something like this should have ended up on YouTube - All of Parky's famous stuff is there, ditto Wogan's (I wonder if he was a guest with dear old Russell Harty?). Maybe I'm just not searching hard enough...
Yeah, i had a quick look, and just found threads everywhere similar to this one . Is a bit weird - poss a copyright issue? Maybe Clint himself doesn't like the cig-glamourising aspect and has clamped down on reshows?

I think the initial description here is a tiny bit misleading - my recollection is that he had a softpack of cigs in his hand (not his pocket) and just shakes it (or flicks it from beneath perhaps) in a way which makes a cig leap out perfectly for him to nonchalantly catch it in his mouth. I'm pretty sure of those bits coz i remember buying softpacks for the specific purpose of imitiating him . Everything else is an even foggier mix of false memories tho.

Golgot's take on the "trick" sounds more like it to me because I've seen a couple of people do that one...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

You want to post like me?
Yeah, i had a quick look, and just found threads everywhere similar to this one . Is a bit weird - poss a copyright issue? Maybe Clint himself doesn't like the cig-glamourising aspect and has clamped down on reshows?

I think the initial description here is a tiny bit misleading - my recollection is that he had a softpack of cigs in his hand (not his pocket) and just shakes it (or flicks it from beneath perhaps) in a way which makes a cig leap out perfectly for him to nonchalantly catch it in his mouth. I'm pretty sure of those bits coz i remember buying softpacks for the specific purpose of imitiating him . Everything else is an even foggier mix of false memories tho.
yeah dude... but my version sounds much cooler ...

But I honestly don't know how it happened. That was just the way my buddy told it.

That makes sense, especially if it was on something like Parky - The vast majority (maybe all of them?) of his clips on YouTube are on the official BBC channel and a quick browse through them shows that they're mostly from his final years on the BBC with only a select few 'classic' interviews.

Rod Hull & Emu!

EDIT - Bollocks to that. If I'd spelt his bloody name correctly I'd have found clips from loads of different sources, but still very few older ones. Still, Rod Hull & Emu would have put the fear of God into even Clint!