Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Question

Tools    

Okay, so I recently bought the 30th Anniversary Edition off of Amazon and it should be arriving at my house either tomorrow or Tuesday, so I have a question. With this edition it includes the Original Theatrical Cut, Re-Edited 1980 Cut, and the Director's Cut, so my question is: Which one of these cuts should I watch first, and bare in mind that I've never seen Close Encounters Of The Third Kind before?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Definitely watch the original cut first. It's got scenes which some people claim are idiotic, but since the main character is possessed, they're not idiotic and actually make sense. The "Special Edition" (1980) version cut out the "stupider" scenes, added some F/X and tacked on an entire scene at the end which I believe to be completely extraneous and much more pointless than the "stupid" parts. The Director's cut got rid of that scene at the end, but still has some added F/X sprinkled about and leaves an original scene or two deleted.

I hope you like the film. Spielberg really trusted his audience on this one because he goes out of his way to make the film a mystery wrapped inside an enigma. It's about as far away as possible from a "popcorn flick" that he could have made. I hope you're enthralled by the visual splendor and ultimately positive message that this film imparts. It also has my vote for Richard Dreyfuss's most-perfect performance.

Definitely watch the original cut first. It's got scenes which some people claim are idiotic, but since the main character is possessed, they're not idiotic and actually make sense. The "Special Edition" (1980) version cut out the "stupider" scenes, added some F/X and tacked on an entire scene at the end which I believe to be completely extraneous and much more pointless than the "stupid" parts. The Director's cut got rid of that scene at the end, but still has some added F/X sprinkled about and leaves an original scene or two deleted.

I hope you like the film. Spielberg really trusted his audience on this one because he goes out of his way to make the film a mystery wrapped inside an enigma. It's about as far away as possible from a "popcorn flick" that he could have made. I hope you're enthralled by the visual splendor and ultimately positive message that this film imparts. It also has my vote for Richard Dreyfuss's most-perfect performance.
I'm really hyping myself up to watch it, I just wish that I could watch it today, but I have to wait for it to get shipped here. I have tons of faith in Spielberg, because I don't think that there's a film of his that I haven't liked yet. I'm just really hoping that this can live up to Jurassic Park, Jaws, and Schindler's List. I've also been really getting into Richard Dreyfuss's movies after how much I liked him Jaws.

Always start with the original.

I have to agree with Mark on this being Dreyfuss's best performance, and MovieMan I'm sure you'll like it, the film has all the magnificence and awe that is synonymous with most of your favourite director's films, enjoy.

Hey Mark, at least the special edition didn't have all the guns removed and replaced with walkie talkies, damn that Spielberg sometimes.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

In regards to my statement of always starting with the original, I think this should not be applied to Blade Runner.
That's actually another one on my list of movies to buy.

Great movies stand tall when tested by "time". CEOTTK on the other hand is good over time but not great. Yes I know I may be lambasted by that remark, but as a kid I thought this film was the bee's knees. Along with Jaws and other ET type movies I was enthralled. The problem I have with this movie is that (and trust me I really do love this film) it grows old. Sorry, but it does... That being said (?) I love this movie, it just kinda went form a 5 star film to a 4 star after 20 years. Oh well.

The film got better for me over time and with repeat viewings, but that's just me.
Same here. I watch it at least every other year or so.