What does everyone do for a living?

Tools    

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I'll get the ball rolling...

I'm a bum

(Normally Comp/Network engineer as well as Coder/ Web Developer )

Partially a student, and partially a freelance web developer. I also help produce a morning drive-time radio show, which entails requesting review copies, scheduling interviews, managing the schedule, etc. It's working out pretty well. I'll probably snag a job at the video store or movie theater within the next few months, though, in addition to this stuff.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I work for an elementary school in the Internet Lab (we have two labs here and the other one is Keyboarding) helping kids with math two days out of the week and the rest of the week we do internet stuff.

I help out with the Sound board at my church, I also run the laptop which displays songs up on the screen as well as announcements for other things going on in the church.

Up until recently I was running a small DVD site, but closed it down on account that I didn't have the kind of time to work with it.

I help my dad work on lawnmowers, cars, and anything else that has an engine from time to time. But please, don't call me a "Grease Monkey", I don't care for that term, I've never seen a monkey change the exhaust system on a car.

Here, very soon, I will be (hopefully) joining the ranks of the U.S. Navy and get into the computer field where I will be stationed in one of the many ports here in America.

I am also back in control of the DVD section here on Movie Forums to which I have proposed many new features to Chris and we are in the process of bringing some of these to life.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm a graduate (gradual) student in creative writing, and I teach two classes a semester at the university (composition, literature, advanced writing, you name it--basically, whatever they want to give me). I love teaching, in many ways, and it's what I'm planning to do for the rest of my life... or until I write a best-seller.

But I elected not to teach this summer. I'm severely burned out, as it's been going non-stop for two years... and as much as I love my students, they drive me freakin' insane--oh, the writing horror stories I could tell you. So this summer I'll be working odd jobs where I hopefully won't have to do much of anything. I've got a line on a laundromat job, which will be sweet--lots o' reading, reading, reading.

And lotsa writing this summer, as it's thesis time. Got about sixty pages... only two hundred to go...

But please, don't call me a "Grease Monkey"
GREASE MONKEY! GREASE MONKEY, I SAY!!

You know, Spud, I never woulda said it if you hadn't forbidden it...

Now With Moveable Parts
I work for a catering company.
"Shrimp cocktail, sir?"

AND I book bands for my catering boss' bar. He's mafia.

~Spud, don't even talk about past jobs.

I mainly said that all because of the Seinfeld episode in which Putty lands a job as a car salesman and is no longer a "grease monkey".

It's also the episode in which we see a candy line-up, and we find out what the rust-proofing really is.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
~Spud, don't even talk about past jobs.
Oh you mean like working for certain "GARBAGE" company. Though nothing that I've seen lately is anywhere close to being garbage.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I work for a catering company.
"Shrimp cocktail, sir?"
So I guess we won't have to CATER to you anymore...

Yeah, bad pun... not funny... shame... cripes...

I have no defense, except that I couldn't resist.

I'll stop now.

Now With Moveable Parts
originally posted by Kent*Something about garbage...Blah. Blah.
Garbage. Yes. Lots and lots of "garbage".

I had to go back and quote you, Kent. Mary Lo posted to soon after me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

So I guess we won't have to CATER to you anymore...

I love it!

Yeah, garbage!

I don't get it.

But let's just say that those who know you have learned not to bring it up around you.

But, if you know what I'm talking about, that last sentence sounds really dirty.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
omg i've never met someone who wanted to be a teacher

as long as you're not teaching hormone driven teenagers in a BO ridden room i guess it'd be alright

omg i've never met someone who wanted to be a teacher
I understand your reaction, but seriously, if you just have fun with it, it can be great. I just try to make sure my students don't fall asleep.

My favorite story:

We were discussing about Maus in my literature class. We're about fifteen minutes into the class, nobody is talking, not even my regulars (you know, the kids you can always count on to speak, whether they say something intelligent or not). So I give up and jump up on my desk, shouting, "JESUS, PEOPLE! THIS BOOK KICKS A*S--HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT TO TALK!" And then I jump down and start pacing around the front of the room, waving the book in the air and channeling Jesse Jackson: "The Reverend McG will preach to you the gospel of Maus--can I get an amen!"
They're all laughing by now--from shock, mostly--but no one says anything (I know they're all thinking, "The woman has lost it")--so I say it again: "Can I get an AMEN?" Then a couple of people say: "A-amen?"

This sounds crazy, and it was, no doubt, but it totally worked. We had our best discussion that day. Sometimes you just have to shock them into giving a sh*t.

But the thing is, most of my students are freshmen or sophomores, so I've still got to deal with hormones. It's worse in college, though, 'cause the majority are on their own for the first time in their lives. They've had a taste of freedom, and then I have to try to rein them in again.

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm gonna teach English/Drama. For highscool.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Hey where do those smilies come from on the top right of your post?

Sadie, I wish you luck. Go in with with a can of air freshner and give out free deodrant. It's the only way.

Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
Hey where do those smilies come from on the top right of your post?
They are the Moods, you should be able to see a Drop-Down box at the top of the main Forums page.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
Sadie, I wish you luck. Go in with with a can of air freshner and give out free deodrant. It's the only way.
Wait...what the--??

I knew that inside joke would backfire someday!! I thought he was talkin' about the "Garbage Job" but he was referring to the highschool kids...aha. I get it.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm not a bum, I'm a Jerk.
Actually, I work in an office for the Army National Guard, and as my civillian alter-ego, I'm a college student. I used to be a film and theater critic, a Janitor, a comic strip artist, a pharmacist's assistant, a retail supervisor, an intern at an AM radio station, a college radio DJ, a paperboy, and a house painter. Whew....and after all that, I'm still not rich. Dammit.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/