The Crow 'Reimagining'

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Variety reported today that Stephen Norrington is going to be doing a reimagining of the Crow. Norrington, who has done other comic book adaptations, Blade, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, will write (based off of same comic, not movie) and direct too.

Stephen Norrington has stated that he doesn't want to do a gothic, stylized version, he wants to do a realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style style of The Crow.

What is it with Hollywood these days? Must they remake and reimagine everything? Just stop and let the 1994 film be the only adaptation. It was good.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the original Crow it is amazing and Im not happy with the news that they are reimaging it, here is a message to Hollywood...

GET NEW IDEAS AND NOT RE-MAKE ORIGINAL CLASSICS!

Hollywood has never known when to leave well enough alone... the original Crow is awesome and should not be remade...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought Norrington quit making films after the disaster of LXG?

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I hate the word 'reimagining'. It is just a fancy way of saying 'rip off'. I sincerely hope this movie doesn't happen. The Crow isn't even 15 years old. At this rate we will be getting The Matrix: Reimagined, and a reimagining of the Lord of the Rings...I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake The Godfather.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
League of Extraordinary Men was awful.

I love The Crow! I used to be obsessed with it when i was an angry angsty 13 year old and now i just love it. Michael Wincott has the best bad guy voice ever.

Originally Posted by n3wt
I love the original Crow it is amazing and Im not happy with the news that they are reimaging it, here is a message to Hollywood...

GET NEW IDEAS AND NOT RE-MAKE ORIGINAL CLASSICS!
Yeah, but don't you love the "re-imaging" of Halloween? A lot of people, myself included, consider John Carpenter's to be a horror classic.
I'm not pickin' at you. I just always find it funny when people are OK with remakes, until someone decides to remake a movie that they love.
So far, I've been the type to hate the idea of pretty much any remake, until one proves me wrong. That rarely happens, though. Here are most of the remakes that I like, posted in this thread. I see you've posted in there once, so I'll look into that in a bit, to see what you said.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake The Godfather.
No, but if they're reading this board, you just gave them the idea. Way to go!

Yep, when they call it re-imaging, that annoys me. They are still using the same characters, and base story. They're just messing it up by trying to add more to the story. Trust me, Rob Zombie added waaaay too much information.

As I said, I like a few remakes, and I use to say that the one thing that helped me like them, was a great cast. Well, I liked the bulk of the cast from the Psycho remake, but what a stinker. Oh, and again, too much information.

They can't do it with Game of Death?
Shhhhh, none of those, either.

I own pretty much everything they've made. They'll end up doing this to the both of them. Give it time.

I won't be truly impressed with re-makes, until they take a real stinker, like a Claude-hopper* movie, and make it better. It's not like I'm asking for much. Seriously! Alter the script, use Jet Li, Ernie Reyes Jr., etc . . . How hard can this be!?!

*Jean-Claude Van Damme

Two of the very best, in my opinion!

All I can say is

I just always find it funny when people are OK with remakes, until someone decides to remake a movie that they love.
I totally agree with that statement, though rather ironically two of my favourite remakes happen to be of films I love very much. Namely Philip Kaufman's 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers reboot,
and Zack Snyder's underrated Dawn of the Dead outing from 2004.

I was too young in 1978 to give a fig about Kaufman's effort, but believe me I went on some rants when I heard a near novice was redoing Dawn. Thankfully it turned out to be a kick ass zombie flick.

A system of cells interlinked
(Ahem)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
This is such a bad idea, The Crow is such a great movie IMO and if the sequels are any look into how horrible the remake/reboot/reimagining will be then they should just can this right now, but it does not look like they are going to.

From darkhorizons.com
Gutierrez Set To Helm "Crow" Reboot

Tuesday January 24th 2012 09:02PM

F. Javier Gutierrez ("Before the Fall") has closed a deal to direct the long-gestating remake of "The Crow" at Relativity says Heat Vision.
Gutierrez had been in talks for a while until the legal dispute of the last nine months between Relativity and The Weinstein Company grounded the whole project. Said dispute has since been settled and Relativity is proceeding with the project.
Jesse Wigatow ("Eragon," "The Ruins") has also signed on to pen the script, the scribe recently penning another kind of reboot - a new adaptation of the Robert Ludlum thriller "The Osterman Weekend".
The 1993 original 'Crow' starred Brandon Lee as musician who is murdered while trying to save his fiancée from thugs. He is brought back from the dead by supernatural forces and seeks revenge.
Edward R. Pressman, Jeff Most and Ryan Kavanaugh are producing.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
This is such a bad idea, The Crow is such a great movie IMO and if the sequels are any look into how horrible the remake/reboot/reimagining will be then they should just can this right now, but it does not look like they are going to.
Totally agree.

From darkhorizons.com
Why is it a bad idea? Did you read the comic? I thought the comic book was better than the film even though it only diverged from the source a little bit. I think there's still material there for someone to try something different. Plus, the sequels have nothing to do with this. This film should be viewed based on its own merit (like all films).

My question is, who could play The Crow today? My first choice would be Heath Ledger but I don't think he's available (sorry, bad joke, I know). I think Aaron Johnson (Kick-Ass) has the look and could pull it off. Check him out here being really silly.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
That's one of the reasons I am so against the remake is that you will never get anyone better then Brandon Lee to play the part, that is another thing about the sequels is that they have tried to replace Brandon Lee and it's not worked in the slightest.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Yeah, but don't you love the "re-imaging" of Halloween? A lot of people, myself included, consider John Carpenter's to be a horror classic.
I'm not pickin' at you. I just always find it funny when people are OK with remakes, until someone decides to remake a movie that they love.
So far, I've been the type to hate the idea of pretty much any remake, until one proves me wrong.
Yeah I do like the Halloween Re-imaging and the sequel, but it doesnt take away the fact I love the original. I just think Re-imaging The Crow, I dont like the idea of it, when it comes to seeing the film I may very well change my mind about it, as there are many remakes/re-imagings that I do like but there are also loads that I hate, i.e The Psycho remake, that was horrendous imo.