Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

→ in
Tools    

Back with a bang!
I just came back from seeing it, and I've got to say I'm quite dissapointed. Sure, the last part with all the fighting was really good, but the rest of the movie simply sucked. I did not find the love scenes bearable, they were horrible. I also found C3PO to be annoying, but I always have, so that don't matter. My biggest dissapointment was that Jar Jar didn't die.

I may be overreacting a bit thoug...the couple next to me in the theatre cuckled at EVERYTHING! Not just all the one liners and such, which would have been bad enough, they cuckled at everything It totally ruined the movie. Everytime someone said something someone seriously starved for entertainment might call funny, I stardet thinking "don't laugh, don't laugh, please don't laugh". They always did.

Anyway, I'm hammering the keys on my keyboard now, I should probably take some minutes to cool off

"Fabricated American"
C'mon, you couldn't have possibly liked those jokes. "I'm beside myself."?
That is CLASSIC 3PO! I laughed my self silly.

As for the rockets: I dug them. And yes, you can throw them in...especially if you depict their destruction in Episode III.
You seem to be forgetting that R2 is a Repair droid. And between the time of Episode III and A New Hope, R2 lives (at least for some time) on a starship where repair parts are rather plentiful. Lucas should have skipped the rockets. Why couldn't have R2 just patched into the data port and extended the catwalk, problem solved?

Oh and one more thing, when Anakin goes to rescue his mother from the sand people, she seemed way too healthy to just die like that. I expected her to be less coherent, voice barely audible, you know, more convincing.

-GTB

Whad'you know?
umm...is it just me, or isn't it a little weird that Anakin grew up so fast, but Natalie Portman's character looks exactly the same :/

You seem to be forgetting that R2 is a Repair droid. And between the time of Episode III and A New Hope, R2 lives (at least for some time) on a starship where repair parts are rather plentiful. Lucas should have skipped the rockets. Why couldn't have R2 just patched into the data port and extended the catwalk, problem solved?
Well, firstly, repair droid or not, mobility is helpful...it doesn't mean he's suddenly a BATTLE droid just because he can fly around a little. Secondly, extending the catwalk wouldn't have done jack...he went all through the factory to save Amidala.

Oh and one more thing, when Anakin goes to rescue his mother from the sand people, she seemed way too healthy to just die like that. I expected her to be less coherent, voice barely audible, you know, more convincing.
I dunno, she seemed pretty inaudible/mumbly to me.

umm...is it just me, or isn't it a little weird that Anakin grew up so fast, but Natalie Portman's character looks exactly the same :/
That doesn't bother me too much. The difference from, say, 8 to 18, and 16 to 26 (I think those are the ages, roughly), are quite different. So, I found it fairly plausible. Jake Lloyd looked a LITTLE younger than he was supposed to, I think...he's a pretty short kid, methinks.

What I find funny is the fact that we're talking about Star Wars, this amazingly fantastical saga of unreal proportions and people get down to the knitty-gritty and complain that some one didn't age, or someone spoke too clearly.

It film for crying out loud!!
And even then, it's Star Wars!!

Who cares?!
It was fun!!

The Gweat and Tewwible
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
What I find funny is the fact that we're talking about Star Wars, this amazingly fantastical saga of unreal proportions and people get down to the knitty-gritty and complain that some one didn't age, or someone spoke too clearly.

It film for crying out loud!!
And even then, it's Star Wars!!

Who cares?!
It was fun!!
I totally agree with you Silver. All I kept thinking about while reading these posts was how much people are complaining At least it was way better than Episode I, which I cannot even watch, even though Ewan McGregor is in it. I have to admit some of the parts got kind of boring (all the parts Ewan wasn't
onscreen) With the way critics were talking and people were talking I expected the love scenes to be a lot worse than they really were. Let's face it, its a science-fiction movie written by a guy (and mostly for guys) and you can't expect the love scenes to be Oscar material or something. Besides, Star Wars is about everything, not just the love story, so just enjoy it. Anyways, I am just happy, I got my wish. Ewan McGregor got a chance to show his stuff and he proved just how cool Obi-wan is. My dad even stopped criticizing Obi-wan and took back all the things he said about Ewan McGregor (he still can't pronounce his name right, though)

I loved it, everything about it.

there was no way of doing it better, besides not casting hayden christenson. But i was ok with the love-part, because i dont really like romance and it was realistic, there were all kinds of awkward pauses, really bad jokes with fake laughter afterwards, it was funny.

Mace is a pimp, you knew that lightsaber was gonna be purple velvet.

i saw it twice this weekend, and will hopefully see it again.

my NEW star wars order goes like this:
1. Empire
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Clones
4. A New Hope
5. Episode 1
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Whad'you know?
are you sure we all saw the same movie?

i mean come on, the entire thing was Lucas showing off his flashy new computer technology. the acting was terrible - particularly Anikan - I mean honestly, I wasn't expecting much, but could he convey one emotion except 'vacant'?

this movie honestly made Episode I look good - people are talking about how much darker this movie is, but they only possibly dark scenes i noted were the removal of Anakin's arm, and his mother's death. and even then, Ugh! the whole thing just reeked of artificiality - the computer graphics were just too "clean", if that's a way to describe. the models looked so much better.

and don't forget the terrible writing, and laughable love scenes.

let's just hope Lucas has something good nestling up his sleeve for Episode III.

of course, this is entirely my opinion. i'm not trying to come off as sophisticated or pretentious - if a movie entertains me, ill admit it, so just remember that before you begin to feverently disprove what i said

Originally posted by Gigolo Joe
are you sure we all saw the same movie?
yes except some of us saw the last 45 minutes

There was more to it than just the last forty-five minutes though as well.

The battle with Jango Fett.
The chase with the seedy bar and Zem Wessel.
Anything with Obi-wan Kenobi.
The chase through the asteroid field.
The colluseum.
Mace Windu.
Tatooine and the Sand People.

It was just fun!
Good or bad isn't the point!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well if you saw my review on the main site that's how I feel about it.

The romance was weak (borderline bad soap opera), Christensen's acting was terrible, his emotions weren't really sending out the "feel sorry for me" message, and he was just all around bad (and I'm not talking about his dark side issues).

Portman was better when she had 50 pounds on her head and didn't say much.

McGregor was awesome as was Jackson in his small but very productive scenes.

Lucas had better stop treating us with eye candy and had better start playing on this galaxies emotions rather than those that are meant for a galaxy far, far away.

Oh yeah, YODA FOUGHT!!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Why am I here?
The movie kicked ass, it was a general pleasure to watch from begging to end, I would have stayed in my seat even if the cinema set of fire, The bit where Anakin goes made with the sand people kicks ass!

Sic Networks

I saw this movie this Friday and I thought it was very entertaining. It was definitely a vast improvement over Episode I and I would recommend it. Sure, story, acting, plot development, and characterizations aren't first-rate. But folks Star Wars has never been about that. Go back and look at the other films in the series and you will recognize, I believe, that Star Wars films were never wonderful because of their first rate acting or striking plot developments. I wasn't disappointed, and after the last film I think that speaks volumes.

I saw it at 12:01 Thursday morning. The crowd was fantastic. Half the people I was with were dressed up, we played a rousing game of Star Wars trivial pursuit (I got my ass whipped big time), and had a lightsaber duel while waiting in line. The crowd laughed, cheered, booed, and did everything that they were supposed to. So, naturally, for the most part, the atmosphere made almost all of it great.

I really enjoyed Hayden Christienson when he wasn't trying to be incredibly intense. The lines like, "Master Obi-Wan would be very grumpy if he knew I was doing this" (or something like that) and "I'd be much too frightened to tease a senator" made me really like his character.

Although I almost hate to open myself up to getting things thrown at me like this, Yoda's fight scene kept making me laugh. When I was a little kid my sister and I had stuffed animals. We would pretend that our stuffed animals were gynmasts, and make up these intricate flying through the air routines for them. Yoda reminded me of a stuffed dog doing cartwheels. I've also heard him compared to a bumblebee.

Mace Windu. While Samuel L. kicked some keister, who does he think he is? Shaft? Lines like "Party's over" also made me laugh a lot and take him less seriously.

I really did like how Yoda's theme was minus some cellos and some brass was tossed in instead to emphasize how cool he really is.

Gigolo Joe brings up a good point about the movie's excessively "clean" CGI. It was too much. Yoda was the best CGI creation I've yet to see but that's only because they are restricted in their design of him because of Frank Oz's work in the fifth episode.

Remember Episode IV to VI. The Milennium Falcon was a heap of junk (but it's got it where it counts kid). C3PO and R2D2 were rusty and old. Even the costumes looked worn-out.

Episode 1 & 2 showcase the superiority of Peter Jackson's Special Effects Company - Weta. The effects in Fellowship were dirty. Jar Jar Binks clothes are always well-ironed. The ships seem to be just washed. Etc.

But that's progress for you.

And the series is dead without Han Solo. We need a cynic on screen for the cynics like me and other's who are disinterested in the series. Han Solo ruled the world.

Leia: I Love You.

Solo: I Know

I wish George had allowed the two lovers to be as cool in Episode II.

I don't think "cool" would have suited the story he was telling via their relationship; but that doesn't mean I don't disagree with your point about there needing to be a cynic on screen.

Mace Windu. While Samuel L. kicked some keister, who does he think he is? Shaft? Lines like "Party's over" also made me laugh a lot and take him less seriously.
Oh, please.
Take him seriously?
For the last time people, IT'S STAR WARS!

'This party's over.' What's not to love?

And now, a non nerd review...

The romance was weak (borderline bad soap opera), Christensen's acting was terrible, his emotions weren't really sending out the "feel sorry for me" message, and he was just all around bad (and I'm not talking about his dark side issues).

Portman was better when she had 50 pounds on her head and didn't say much.

McGregor was awesome as was Jackson in his small but very productive scenes.

The first half of the movie had me wishing the love story didn't exist while waiting to see the scenes with Obi. The second half, after Obi and Ani were reunited was good. The colleseum part reminded me of Gladiator but that was ok cuz the monsters were so cool. The Yoda fight was just another swordfight to me. It didn't make me want to rejoice and kiss my neighbor or anything. Dooku was a way better villian that that stupid Darth Maul who only lasted 5 minutes. Dooku may have been the best guy in the movie.

This movie is hard to grade. The love subplot gets a D for the Ani/Padme scenes. I'd give it an F but it was visually pleasing, and the rest of the movie gets a B. Overall grade must be C cuz the loveline drags it down.

Is it worth quitting your day job to wait in line to see? No.
Is it worth seeing over and over again? No
Should you wait for the video? Probably not, some things look better on the big screen. Go see it at the movies, once.

Why am I here?
You have to remember at the end of the day the star wars films were U's and originally aimed at the younger generation, the "nerd" fade that's arose from it doesn't change what a great movie it was. Ani's acting was good, you do better!

Basically I think George Lucas is doing a top job at his prequals and more power to him!!!!!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Some scenes Hayden's not "Ani's" acting wasn't too bad. Those scenes were few and far between, though.

What do you expect a Science Fiction movie to attract? Jocks? Star Wars was a big nerdfest to begin with.