One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Dude, you have to explain to me how the ending of Night has "a hint of hope and joy".

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, the hint (to me) is really small considering what happens. Even though it ends the way it does with people losing all humanity in the killing of others, the hint of hope is that they are wiping out all the zombies, bringing back society (in a bad way).

It's hard to tell if the rednecks killed Ben because they thought he was a zombie or because he was black, and I liked that aspect of the film, how we are all screwed. BUT, I did get a small sense of hope that they were going to rid themselves of all the zombies.

At least that's what I got from it.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, i'm a bit stumped by that 'hint of hope and joy' you mention. Surely the ending was meant to signify man is the real monster, he's as bad as the zombies etc. So even if they do clear all the zombies, not really hope etc.....?

DAY 52: October 22nd, 2008.

I Know What You Did Last Summer

It amazes me the amount of crappy movies I liked as a kid. Listen to me saying kid, I'm only 20. Well when this one came out I was really young. Looking back I ponder why I liked it, but for some strange reason it has some place in my heart. Could it be my insane being in love with everything Buffy did? Or was it the fact that I thought the 'look' of the killer was cool and simple? I can't really answer and I can tell you this film has many things wrong with it, but for the sake of nostalgia, I'm giving it a positive review.

This film, along with Scream gave birth to the teen slasher genre for my generation. So as bad as this film was, it gets away with a lot considering the flack other films of the same caliber get. Let's look at the cast.

They are young, they are good looking, they are in the early stages of their careers. The acting wasn't the best, but seeing where these people are now is something. JLH has fallen out of the film industry and into television (again). FP Jr. and SMG have married and are stuck in a rut for their film roles. No one takes Prinze Jr. seriously and Gellar is stuck in the horror genre. She needs a hit, desperately. Not a kid flick, Scooby Doo, but a genuine hit. Phillipe is the considered a star, starring in big films and getting recognition for his acting ability.

The deaths are all pretty much the same, death by hook. I don't mind, I liked the hook. The soundtrack is your basic indie teenage angst filled songs. I for one own it, don't ask me why, it's kind of embarrassing.

I can't really recommend this to anyone, it's nothing new, nothing thrilling and nothing scary, but for some odd reason I still enjoyed (some aspect) of it. I think I might be going crazy here, but PW is right, I guess I do like bad films.

DAY 53: October 23rd, 2008.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

Here we have the sequel to the first I Know What You Did Last Summer, this time it's called I Still Know What You Did Last Summer...but it isn't last summer anymore, it's actually 2, 3 summers ago. I don't know the timeline because I was too busy with a gun in my mouth during this film that I missed whatever explanation they had.

When the film started and Julie 'won' her trip to Brazil, I was questioning if the filmmakers actually did any research on geography, but thankfully they did and answered one of many questions I had. Yet these girls don't question how someone got her unlisted number either is funny. It's all setup and foreshadowing for the audience, but it leaves the characters looking pretty dumb.

Freddie Prinze Jr. returns with Jennifer Love Hewitt. She goes to the Bahamas with her new friends and leaves him behind because he's dedicated to his fishing job. Yet he wants to surprise her and decides he'll show up anyway. The Fisherman has other plans and sets up an elaborate diversion to try and kill Ray. His scenes trying to get to the island are boring and out of place. They seem rushed and don't flow with the rest of the film.

Hewitt looks great, that's her role. Be a scream queen teen and nothing more. Brandy adds some fun to the mix, but ultimately is a poor substitute for Gellar, while Phifer seems to be doing his best jerk performance, which is a carbon copy of what Ryan Phillippe was in the original. Another new addition is Matthew Settle who plays Will Benson...Ben's son...he's the killers kid, watch out!!! Sorry for the spoiler to a crappy film from 1998 that you will no doubt ever watch or care to think about.

There is nothing shocking in this film, nothing terrifying, nothing thrilling. It has a beautiful location, that went to waste. It has Jack Black in dreads....yes, dreads. He's a drug dealer, gets killed like every other employee on this island.

So in a nutshell, this is a horrendous sequel to a film that I really liked as a kid. Looking back at it, it's embarrassing to even think I liked this sequel.

DAY 54: October 24th, 2008.

House On Haunted Hill

I was told to watch this film because it was "a true horror film'. This film lost me once the house sent e-mails and changed the guest list.

I will say this, it has the horror look down and the bizarreness of some scenes were interesting, but as a whole, this film is limp. It's not scary when it should be, and laughable at parts that should be tense. Chris Kattan, let's be serious, unless the guy is unsuccessfully picking up girls in the Roxbury, where else do we need to see him? I enjoy him on SNL, but he was horribly miscast here. I didn't know if I should have taken him seriously or not. Was he suppose to be the comedic relief? If so, he wasn't funny enough, if not, he wasn't serious enough.

I've never seen the original, so my review is based on just this film. The opening has me interested, YAY, Jeffery Combs has a cameo, then it steadily went downhill. The ending, with the 'darkness' as it's called, is horribly done. Was this suppose to be scary? Was this the evil? All signs should point to yes, but we never is. Oh, no, scary black bad CGI is after me, what should I do?

I liked Rush in his role, an obvious nod to Vincent Price, and Janssen was also decent, but the rest of the cast just does not work. Diggs and Larter do not work well together and Gallagher works his caterpillar eyebrows as usual.

If this is true horror, then I'm sitting here wondering why I ever liked the genre in the first place.

DAY 55: October 25th, 2008.

Saw V

From Reviews Section

SAW V is about Hoffman trying to conceal the fact that he is Jigsaw's apprentice. People are put in traps...can they escape?

Really, do I need to explain the plot of a SAW film to anyone by now? It's been the same movie for years now, only gradually getting worse and worse. SAW V is without a doubt the weakest entry yet to the SAW franchise. It tries too hard to set itself apart from the previous films and yet at the same time try to go back to it's roots. So why do I still see these films, well, it's a tradition. So you can bet I will see SAW VI and you can bet I probably won't like it.

So why does SAW V fail so much? Well, let me crack out the list.

One, it does not feel like a SAW film. SAW V puts the traps on the back end and focuses more on the story. Good right? Wrong. They basically took the same story from SAW III with Amanda and put it with Hoffman. This time we get flashbacks of Hoffman with Jigsaw, all of which I guess are suppose to be twisty but none ever catch you off guard. I don't know if it's weak writing or the fact that we've seen so many twists in this series that we can't spot them anymore. That goes for the ending too. Ever since the original SAW there has been a twist at the end to let the audience leave the theatre talking. This one doesn't have that. I was a bit disappointed. Seeing the twist is half the fun...isn't it?

Two, can we please stick with some characters here? Every film there are new characters introduced, fair enough. But do we always have to kill off the ones from previous films? I mean, you have to be a bad ass to jam a pen in your throat so you can breath, aka get out of the trap, then you flip the audience off and let them die at the end? Can we pick a character and stick with them? How are any of us suppose to connect with anyone when we know you are going to kill them off soon.

Three, the script. It has horrible dialogue scattered throughout the entire thing. Half ass scenes with the detective. We see Hoffmans's flashback and all of a sudden he puts the pieces together. Is he seeing what we are seeing? That can't be, but the film sure plays out like he can. The characters are not likable at all, specifically Hoffman and the 5 lucky people trapped in his game. Who are these people, they came and left quicker then you could say "I Want To Play A Game". Also, can get get some people who aren't completely stupid? You've been on this case for awhile now and you still don't know to actually 'listen' to the tape and follow the instructions. Maybe it's because I've watched all the films, but when I hear the words, "get in this box, it will save your life". I'm going to get in the damn box and not try to do something else that will eventually and obviously lead to my death.

We are given more scenes with no substance, that we have to wait for the next film. The box with Jigsaw's wife. We have no idea what's in there, we could guess, but hey, then what the hell would be the point of the next one right? The traps aren't as creative and seem even more implausible then before. Giant swinging pendulum of death???

I gave the creators of SAW credit for always turning out new films year after year and making it somewhat enjoyable. The sugar on top was how they all connected and how you actually did need to see the first ones to know what was going on. I'm sad to say the quality is slipping here. Sure they all still connect, but do we care about the connections anymore? I'm starting to grow tired of them. People still seem to love these movies, so let's have VI then call it quits before the films become a complete joke. To the fans, the critics have already sung their tunes on this franchise.

DAY 56: October 26th, 2008.

Nightmare On Elm Street

Nightmare On Elm Street holds a unique title, along with one other film, as being the only films to really scare me. Now, how can this film scare me? Well, I first watched at a cabin in the middle of the woods at 3 in the morning. Also, my chair was right in front of a big freaking window. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get the feeling like there is something behind me and watching this film at that time in that location with the big open space behind me like that....yeah I was scared. Not to mention that this film is sick and twistedily good. Yes, I just made up Twistedily.

So here we have one of the horror icons in his first outing, his best and most memorable one at that. Only to be rivaled by the third installment, Dream Warriors. Here is where we are introduced to the child killer and the beginning of our nightmare begins. I always remember seeing this on my uncles VHS stand and wanting to see it. As it stands today, it's still one of my favourite horror films.

How many memorable scenes does this film have? Tina's death, Freddy creeping through wall, telephone sex, bathtub hand appearance, Johnny Depp pulled through bed. So many to name, not enough time.

Freddy became somewhat of a joke as the series went on, but here he is truly terrifying. I recommend this film to anyone looking for a classic horror slasher in the likes of Halloween and Friday the 13th.

By the way, Freddy can so kick Jason's ass.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
I want to see a Haloween (original) review... I saw the movie for the first time this Haloween... under the influence... and it scared the **** out of me, with all the crazy shots behind his shoulder and the way that every shot had some place you could potentially see Mike standing in. I'm curious whether I'm alone or not...

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

DAY 57: October 27th, 2008.

The Evil Dead

Of course I'm watching my favourite horror film of all time during the month of October for Halloween. I know Meat is going to be shaking his head, but this film is the definition of a horror film. It's a classic and I will never, EVER, get tired of watching it. Half the reasons Meat hated are half the reasons why I love it. If there is one film that I could have on a desert island, this is it. If there is one film to turn a person onto horror, this is it.

First, let me say Bruce Campbell is great, even though he is basically a chump in this outing. It's Scott who is the 'bad-ass', chopping up his possessed girlfriend with an ax. Seeing his transition from film to film is great, but here is where it all started.

The film is scary as hell. I know there are people out there who thought it was too cheesy to be scary, but these are probably the same people who think Jason X is one of the greatest horror films of the last decade. Seeing Ash's girlfriend sit on the floor laughing in her high pitched tone is scary.

The Evil Dead is still fresh, exciting and frightening as the day it was made. This is truly "The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror". Forget Spider-Man, this is Raimi's true baby. The camera work and what they did for the time and the budget is mind blowing (to me anyways). I credit this film with being a huge influence on me wanting to make films. I love the camera movement in this film, every small subtle thing works perfectly and all the obvious in your face Raimi style angles are great to see for the first time (which are still used to this day in his films).

While the film is not as gory as it's sequel, it does have more cringe worthy bits. The Tree Rape scene is enough to make people's skin crawl. Or how about the 'original pencil trick'. I cheered in The Dark Knight and cringed my face in The Evil Dead. How many people still talk about this film today? Hundreds of thousands. It's been a huge impact on horror (see Cabin Fever).

I always wonder about what I would do in this situation and it always ends up being the same, sitting in the corner with a shotgun and shooting anything that moves. Watch The Evil Dead you will not be disappointed.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Gellar is stuck in the horror genre. She needs a hit, desperately. Not a kid flick, Scooby Doo, but a genuine hit.
I think she got some attention for her performance in The Air I Breathe. A few of her upcoming movies look like they could have some potential... Or maybe I just love her and have blind hope for her career

Great reviews btw, really enjoy them.

Great Evil Dead review, Suspect. I count it as the first horror film I've ever seen, and even so I'm yet to see one that's genuinely scared me anywhere near as much (with the possible exception of The Thing). Hell, I even try not to watch my copy too much (currently sitting on about six viewings, compared to at least 12 for both sequels) for fear of losing its pure shock value.

And that reminds me - did Meat ever list his favourite horror movies? I can't remember if he did.

DAY 54: October 24th, 2008.

House On Haunted Hill

I was told to watch this film because it was "a true horror film'....

If this is true horror, then I'm sitting here wondering why I ever liked the genre in the first place.

I think (hope) that they meant the original version of the film, with Vincent Price.

[u][size=4][b]DAY 53: October 23rd, 2008.

[color=Red]I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

The one and only thing, this film has going for it. Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and her tanning scene. Watching this as a kid, I just watched that scene over and over. Come on, I was growing. Give me a break.
Pun of the Day

I still have to see Cube. Your recommendation is pushing it up my to-do list.
Well, I finally got around to watching Cube. I reckon the review you did is spot-on. Brilliantly-executed tension and character development, plus some great twists (even though I don't quite grasp the mathematics involved).

DAY 57: October 27th, 2008.

The Evil Dead

Of course I'm watching my favourite horror film of all time during the month of October for Halloween. I know Meat is going to be shaking his head, but this film is the definition of a horror film. It's a classic and I will never, EVER, get tired of watching it. Half the reasons Meat hated are half the reasons why I love it. If there is one film that I could have on a desert island, this is it. If there is one film to turn a person onto horror, this is it.

First, let me say Bruce Campbell is great, even though he is basically a chump in this outing. It's Scott who is the 'bad-ass', chopping up his possessed girlfriend with an ax. Seeing his transition from film to film is great, but here is where it all started.

The film is scary as hell. I know there are people out there who thought it was too cheesy to be scary, but these are probably the same people who think Jason X is one of the greatest horror films of the last decade. Seeing Ash's girlfriend sit on the floor laughing in her high pitched tone is scary.

The Evil Dead is still fresh, exciting and frightening as the day it was made. This is truly "The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror". Forget Spider-Man, this is Raimi's true baby. The camera work and what they did for the time and the budget is mind blowing (to me anyways). I credit this film with being a huge influence on me wanting to make films. I love the camera movement in this film, every small subtle thing works perfectly and all the obvious in your face Raimi style angles are great to see for the first time (which are still used to this day in his films).

While the film is not as gory as it's sequel, it does have more cringe worthy bits. The Tree Rape scene is enough to make people's skin crawl. Or how about the 'original pencil trick'. I cheered in The Dark Knight and cringed my face in The Evil Dead. How many people still talk about this film today? Hundreds of thousands. It's been a huge impact on horror (see Cabin Fever).

I always wonder about what I would do in this situation and it always ends up being the same, sitting in the corner with a shotgun and shooting anything that moves. Watch The Evil Dead you will not be disappointed.

Excellent review; I agree with pretty much all of your points. The Evil Dead is one of my all-time favorite horror films as well.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

DAY 58: October 28th, 2008.

Return Of The Living Dead

Is it wrong to call this film a 'feel-good' movie? I don't know, but this is one hell of an entertaining one. It successfully blends the horror-comedy genre extremely well and is considered a zombie classic, one that I revisit from time to time.

The zombies here ran fast way before Snyder ever came around with his Dawn of the Dead remake. Hell, they even spoke too. I'm not just saying they screamed for brains, but they had actual conversations with people. I think the whole zombie brain cliche originated with this film, I could be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.

The make-up effects range from great (Tar-Man) to bad (yellow cadaver). But the special effects as a whole are great, barking half dogs and all. The slow transformation into zombies for two characters is agonizingly slow that we feel every spasm or cough they do. Adding a bit of an emotional pull for some characters in a film that probably didn't need any.

The acting is cheesy and hilarious. I loved all the characters and how they interacted with each other. Great chemistry had by all and the film uses this to its advantage having them in close quarters for most of the film.

Give this film a chance, where else can you see a zombie with no arms and legs chasing after some brains? No where I tell you. NO WHERE!!!!

DAY 59: October 29th, 2008.

Fright Night

Fright Night is a classic 80's horror film. It's a shame that it's taken me so long to actually see it, I always passed it off thinking it was a crappy low rent horror movie. Boy was I wrong, here is a film that mixes comedy, horror and great special effects.

The film is about a young kid who loves vampires (yet somehow doesn't know about garlic and stakes until someone tells him?) and finds out that his neighbour is exactly that. When no one believes him he takes it upon himself to put a stop to the vampire's vampire ways.

Compared to the other classic 80's vampire flick The Lost Boys, Fright Night doesn't stand a chance, it simply doesn't have as strong characters, scenes or entertainment. BUT, Fright Night is still an entertaining cheesy film that should be watched by people who love the genre.

The special effects are pretty sweet, specifically when one character is staked and is stuck mid transformation between man and wolf. Although the actor who played this character has an incredibly annoying laugh that will get on your nerves.

Chris Sarandon is the vampire in question, you may remember as Humperdinck from The Princess Bride. He does a great job at being seductive and cool all while still being menacing in his looks. Roddy McDowall is the vampire slayer (on TV) and is hilarious in this role, the man is terrified to be in this situation, but gets the job done when he has to.

This is Tom Holland's best film, he came close with Child's Play, but Fright Night is a film that you can watch more then once. The camp in Fright Night is perfect and everything works so well. Fright Night may not be as good as Lost Boys, but you will not be disappointed with it, it's just a fun film to watch.