Michael Clayton

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
For those of you haven't seen George Clooney act, he is a really good actor. Michael Clayton was voted #1 film of 2007, won 5 academy awards, and even won an academy award for best supporting actor.

Michael Clayton handles most of the CIA's dirty work. But, after one of Michael's clients, Arthur, strips down naked in a meeting room, Michael needs to get the real truth. One of the managers of the company Arthur was meeting for, sues Arthur, while Michael files a law suit and builds a case against her. To get what they want, they'll have to call a hit on Arthur and Michael, to settle the score.

For those of you haven't seen George Clooney act, he is a really good actor. Michael Clayton was voted #1 film of 2007, won 5 academy awards, and even won an academy award for best supporting actor.

Michael Clayton handles most of the CIA's dirty work. But, after one of Michael's clients, Arthur, strips down naked in a meeting room, Michael needs to get the real truth. One of the managers of the company Arthur was meeting for, sues Arthur, while Michael files a law suit and builds a case against her. To get what they want, they'll have to call a hit on Arthur and Michael, to settle the score.
Yeah, I concur with Mark's "?"...

First of all, I don't know where Michael Clayton was voted the number one film of the year, but whatever. It did not win five Academy Awards. It was nominated for seven, including Best Picture. The one and only Oscar it won was Tilda Swinton as Best Supporting Actress.

Now for your haphazard summation of Clayton's plot: Clooney's titular character does not in the course of the film nor is it said or even hinted at ever worked for the C.I.A. or the F.B.I or INTERPOL or any other such agency, for that matter. He works for a high powered law firm, not as a litigator but a "fixer". The meeting Tom Wilkinson's character Arthur gets naked and ranting in is a deposition. His and Clayton's firm is defending a chemical company in a massive class action law suit. That company's chief legal counsel, played by Ms. Swinton, does not sue Arthur or his firm but instead looks to contain the situation by an escalating series of illegal activities. Arthur's brief, the thing with the red cover that Clayton finds and uses later, is not a new lawsuit but a buried company document that will win the case for the plaintiffs.

There's more layers to it but at least it's a more accurate account of the plot of the film.

Not sure what movie you're describing or think you saw but I like the actual Michael Clayton better.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not sure what movie you're describing or think you saw

It must be the one where Tildon is hitching a ride on a polar bear.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yeah, I concur with Mark's "?"...

First of all, I don't know where Michael Clayton was voted the number one film of the year
from me, the most important person in the world

anyway, my thoughts from my review:

Michael Clayton

Michael Clayton is an in-house fixer at one of the largest corporate law firms in New York. A former criminal prosecutor, Clayton takes care of Kenner, Bach, & Ledeen's dirtiest work at the behest of the firm's co-founder, Marty Bach. Though burned out and hardly content with his job as a fixer, his divorce, a failed business venture, and mounting debt have left Clayton inextricably tied to the firm. At U/North, meanwhile, the career of litigator Karen Crowder rests on the multi-million dollar settlement of a class-action suit that Clayton's firm is leading to a seemingly successful conclusion. But when Kenner Bach's brilliant and guilt-ridden attorney Arthur Edens sabotages the U/North case, Clayton faces the biggest challenge of his career and his life.[/font]

How else can I put it, I loved Michael Clayton. The most obvious reason that really stuck out to me that was very well done was Oscar-nominee Tony Gilroy’s directing, for a first-timer it was amazing. The way he blended the music was flawless, especially seen in the first five minutes. Tony even did an awesome job with one of my pet peeves about movies, voice-overs. Some are done very crappy and I hate, I wasn’t even a fan of the Jim Carrey voice-over in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A different case with this movie, I really liked it, especially in the first voice-over, it showed you images that I felt meant nothing, but it was appealing to me and made total sense to put them there for a reason I’m still not quite sure.

Oscar-winner George Clooney proved that he isn’t just another pretty face and does really well, but was almost outshined by his co-stars Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton. Tom Wilkinson’s performance as Arthur Edens a lawyer who had a major breakdown was both memorizing and memorable, it left me breathless. Tilda Swinton’s somewhat overrated performance was also great; I’m not saying it warranted an Oscar, but it was good enough to get a nominated.

I also liked the cinematography from Oscar winner Robert Elswit .His imagery of the office and some beautiful landscapes are truly stunning. I’m glad he got the Oscar, even if it wasn’t for this movie. He truly deserved it.

The final thing I loved was the musical score by James Newton Howard. It took hold of my pulse and pulled me in from start to finish. Yet it was still beaten out by an overused typewriter effect.

I didn't really like the ending of this movie either. I know some will disagree with me but I felt it was played for laughs. I wasn't sympathetic to Tilda Swinton's character.

Rating: A great thriller, my favorite of 2007

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I found the pacing and characters in this film to just be painful. I'm glad I spent no money on it but I'd like my time back.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I really liked Michael Clayton. I pretty much agree with Lennon's review, except I did like the ending. I am not a big Clooney fan, but I enjoyed him in this movie. Wilkinson was wonderful as always.

You ready? You look ready.
Clooney....Michael Clayton.....Both badass.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I liked Lennon's review, too, but I disagree about Tilda Swinton. I think that is one amazing performance -- this is a woman who is so insecure, she will do anything to retain power, and Tilda shows the insecurity in nearly every moment we see her. It's right there beneath the surface, in how she picks out her clothes, how she delivers her lines, how her face quivers. And while she is a villian, when she falls at the end, I actually felt a tinge of pity. I think that is a testament to her performance.

At the same time, in the same scene, I reveled in Michael's anger and righteous indignation. That final little speech is delivered so well and the film builds up to it perfectly.... "I'm not the man you kill...." WOW.

I loved this movie. I bought it. I think it was one of the best films of last year and yea, it wasn't about the CIA.

I also looooove the scene with the horses. Both times we see them.