Movie Tab II

Tools    

Speed Racer (The Wachowski Brothers-2008)

Obviously I like this flick. 3 times I've seen it now and my rating hasn't changed. Its really a shame that more folks haven't seen it.
Whit the average moviegoers preference I mind I can understand why it didn’t do so well there, but I have always imagined it would do very well when I came out on DVD. I haven’t seen any number of its sales, but I don’t think it’s all that.

It’s a weird, quirky and stylistic movie. I may set most people off, but I like it; the best popcorn-movie I have seen in quite a while, and the best anime-to-live-action I have seen up to date.

twofifty.org

Registered Creature
Get Smart -

Anne Hathaway was a great Agent 99. Just finished it, credits still rolling.

A system of cells interlinked
Lost Highway (Lynch, 1997)

Laptops are cool, I've had movies on all day while cruising around the web and stuff. Sci-Fi channel mostly, funny though... The commercials don't seem to bother me as much when I'm not watching the flick super intently. Anyway...

In The Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter-1994)

I don't know why I hold this Carpenter flick on such a high pedestal. It just agrees with me I guess. I like it a hell of a lot more than Halloween, but that's probably just me. Maybe its because at times it doesn't feel like a Carpenter flick you know? Carpenter really made his hay during the 80's and this flick came during the 90's when many feel he started to fall off his game. I disagree with that. I think this is one of his better films. Good stuff.

The Thing (John Carpenter-1982)

If you held me down and forced me I would probably have to admit that this is his best flick. I don't really know why I seem to have such a love/hate relationship with Carpenter, I just do. This flick really does have a damn fine cast and the effects even now don't fail to impress. If I ever see this flick on the cheap racks I think I'll add it to my ever growing DVD collection.

There was a few others as well, one called Blade Runner but I'm sure no one has even heard of that flick so I won't bother to give it a "mini".

The People's Republic of Clogher
Mrs Carpenter once told me that she also never tires of looking at John Carpenter's Thing.

Regular readers will probably know that I don't tire of that gag easily.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh, 1996)

This isn't the easiest film to discuss, even if it ranks as Branagh's best. I'm not sure where he got the guts to push for this film to be shot in 70 MM and be a completely uncut, four-hour version of the play, even if there was no way for it to ever recoup its costs, but kudos to Branagh the Negotiator. As far as the play/movie goes, it's wonderful. The resetting of it in some 19th century, seemingly-Bohemian country adds some subtext and spectacular color, costumes and sets which none of the other versions ever had. For the record, I still enjoy Olivier's version as the best Shakespearean cinematic adaptation HE ever made, and I think Zeffirelli did a wonderful job stripping down Mel Gibson's Hamlet. But this version is basically supposed to show off and be in your face for four whole hours, and although it slightly weighs upon one, it succeeds very well.

This Hamlet has to be discussed in the context of its cast. It's a wonderful collection of veteran Shakespearean actors and some others who have never, ever dabbled in Shakespeare, and that's part of the reason that it's so interesting to watch and such a successful film. Let's start with some actors you'd never expect to see in Hamlet. I enjoyed most all of them, even if some could be objectively construed to be better than others. I'll mention Jack Lemmon, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams and Gérard Depardieu. Then you have others which seem to be up to Shakespeare, but have they ever actually done it? I'm talking about Kate Winslet, Julie Christie and Rufus Sewell. Then, there are the Shakespeare actors par excellence, so this is where Branagh can do no wrong. He's got arguably the greatest Shakespearean actor, John Gielgud, and then he adds Derek Jacobi, Richard Briers, Brian Blessed, and Charlton Heston (in one of his greatest perfomances). The first half of the film is probably stronger overall, but the entire thing is well worth-watching, for multiple reasons.

The Castle of Cagliostro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1979)

I could well be underrating this flick, but I at least want to mention it since I watched it last week, one day when I was sick. I'll admit that I missed some details, but it started out so exciting, and the mystery, action, suspense and humor seemed so genuine that it's difficult for me to believe that it's worth less than my rating, even if I took a nap trying to recover from illness and bodyaches. More in the future after I've rewatched it.

Get Smart (Peter Segal, 2008)

The thing which really gets your attention when watching this film is that rocker Trevor Rabin's musical score is consistently melancholy and it makes the viewer realize that they're not just watching a "comedy" based on the '60s "Get Smart" TV show, but they're also watching a film which takes the entire concept very seriously and doesn't want to turn it into the unfortunate buffoonery that something like The Nude Bomb (with Don Adams!!) turned out to be.

I don't know. If I was going to classify this flick by genres, I'd probably say it's about 30% doomed romance, 25% comedy, 25% action-adventure (a la James Bond), 10% homage to What's Up, Tiger Lily?, and 10% unpredictable thriller. It really doesn't seem like something you'd see on the "Get Smart" TV show, but it's strongly inspired by it and certainly loves it. There are enough wacko supporting characters for people who know and love the show, and those who've never seen it to find equal amounts of enjoyment here, so I actually find this film worthy of a future sequel.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (James Neilsen, 1964)

When I was seven years old, I pretty much gave up on Fess Parker's Davy Crockett being my hero and decided it had to be Disney's "Scarecrow" (Patrick McGoohan). This thing was shown on three consecutive Sundays on the Disney "Wonderful World of Color", and I was glued to the set, even if it was B&W! I started playing Scarecrow with my friends just like we played Civil War and baseball, but Scarecow was just so much cooler. The Scarecrow was a smuggler who hung out near the White Cliffs of Dover and was able to exchange the merchandise he amassed into money for all the poor citizens who lived around Romney Marsh but couldn't afford King George III's outrageous taxes. The Scarecrow was something similar to a Robin Hood of the 1770s. The fact that the Scarecrow was actually a pious vicar called Dr. Syn, who has never really harmed anybody, made him an attractive hero and a supercool anti-hero at one and the same time. Plus he, and his best buds, had the coolest costumes and masks of all time!

This made-for-TV flick was released in Europe in 1964 and eventually released in the U.S. as an edited feature with about one-third cut out. Needless to say, that version is weaker than the original TV show which was just released on DVD last week. This full-blooded version offers up plenty of suspense and character development, along with a catchy theme song. Watch it and tell me what you think.

by the way, does anyone else have any specific thoughts on this movie? i'd be interested to hear...
I think there was a pretty big convo about it, either in it's own thread or another about overrated or controversial movies you should check out, sorry was too lazy to search for it for you lol.

Role Models -

Let me first start off by saying that this for me is the second best comedy of the year, right behind Tropic Thunder. I didn't even expect it to be as great as it was, I thought it was gonna be average at best, but I was really surprised at what I got. I think a lot of my expectations were due to because up until I got to the theater I though it was just rated PG-13, but to my surprise it was rated R and that helped them get a lot of hilarious jokes in. I never really thought by making someone cuss it would be funny, but when that little kid Bobb'e J. Thompson started cussing, it was downright hilarious. Bobb'e J. Thompson was defintley the funniest person in the movie. Sean William Scott comes in second though, they were really close at being funniest, but Bobb'e J. Thompson beat him by a little bit. Paul Rudd was actually more serious than I thought he was gonna be, and I have no problem with that, I was just expecting him to be a little bit funnier. So as I said before this is my second favorite comedy of the year, I'll have to re-watch Pineapple Express just to make sure though. And even if you only have a little interest in seeing this, I recommend you do, because it really is hilarious.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Dog Soldiers - 5/10 really disappointed, i expected it to be at least a little bit funny. The picture was from the best scene of the movie however which definitely boosted its rating

The Devil's Rejects- 6/10 I kinda felt dirty for having rented it because Rob Zombie has such a sick mind

Role Models - 7/10 It was funny, not anything remarkable though

Role Models I thought was good but that kid swears so much he really doesn't have one line without a swear word almost.

Death at a Funeral - 8.4-10 i thought it was hilarious and i laughed consistently throughout and it makes for some pretty awesome screenshots

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm not sure where he got the guts to push for this film to be shot in 70 MM and be a completely uncut, four-hour version of the play, even if there was no way for it to ever recoup its costs, but kudos to Branagh the Negotiator.
It's probably a symptom of how long it actually took to get this film released on DVD but Ken's star was a lot higher in the sky 12 years ago and he hadn't long finished playing the prince in probably the most acclaimed stage production of the work in years (the best 'live' Shakespeare I've ever seen, in fact), in the same Edwardian setting as the film.

I don't think the budget was particularly high and even after the debacle that was Frankenstein producers would have felt on pretty safe ground handing complete control to the guy who's probably done the most to popularise The Bard's work on screen in recent years.

The director's commentary on this is one of the best I've heard.

EDIT - Clickie here!

Good grief!

Let The Right One In

Utterly enchanting Swedish vampire film. 76/83.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Underworld Evolution - Very very very silly. And more than a little tedious by the end. Has some lavish sets and fun toys, and sleek with them at times, but still a pretty hollow 'mid-trilogy' bitta pulp really. (Thought the wing-barbed drac-king was pretty slick in places tho, with his kung-fu baggy pants and 'back-stabbing' menace).

i'm about to go watch the Bigger, Longer Uncut South Park movie i'll let you know how it goes