The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
cool thanks for the help i'm probably not the best one to describe it to you i've just started playing it

The People's Republic of Clogher
What are you playing it on, PC or console?

There are 1000s of mods for the PC version here but you're probably better off looking at someone's recommended mod list (the sheer amount makes my head spin) like this and this.

If you've got it for 360 or PS3 then don't bother reading the last couple of lines.

In the Beginning...
Oblivion.....what is that game all about? Never heard of it what type of game?
Basically, it's a game that lets you roam a pseudo-Lord of the Rings/Excalibur kind of landscape with castles, dungeons, goblins, mythical creatures, warlocks, et al., and decide each step of the way what you want to do and how you want to do it. There's a whole extensive history that goes into the games, but the fun is just immersing yourself in a world that allows just about every freedom imaginable. You view your character either from the back or through his/her eyes.

You start the game by creating a character from one of nine or so races, choosing what you want him/her to specialize in (brute fighting, magic, thieving, archery, price haggling, etc). Following that, you're thrust into the world (you actually begin the game imprisoned, and then escape). The world is huge, with forests, rivers, lakes, castle towns, mountains, caves, dungeons, etc. to explore. The sun rises and sets fairly realistically, and you are pretty much given free reign to follow the main storyline if you wish, join a guild and do missions for them, hunt bad guys, collect armor (or brooms, lol), buy a house, or any other way you want to spend your time. There are limits, of course, but conceivably there's enough content in the game to keep you busy for well over three or four months (and that's regular play).

Seriously, it's such a gorgeous game, and there's so much to do and discover that I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to play it. I find it serves my purposes whether I want to be engaged or just relax.

If these are places you find yourself wanting to be a part of, I recommend giving it a shot:

http://xbox.kombo.com/images/media/oblivion_004.jpg
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/binary/3_G.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...enShot16-1.jpg
http://www.projectmanager.f2s.com/mo...eenShot355.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...oblivion22.jpg

You ready? You look ready.
I hooked my computer up to my 32" LCD TV last night and finally beat Max Payne 2. Very short game, but still awesome. The PC version is leaps and bounds better than the consoles' version, but that goes without saying.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
I hooked my computer up to my 32" LCD TV last night and finally beat Max Payne 2. Very short game, but still awesome. The PC version is leaps and bounds better than the consoles' version, but that goes without saying.
Which is why I've never felt a huge pull to invest in a console. I like my PC games, my monitor's big enough to enjoy them, I have a comfy chair up here, and the games are often cheaper and will keep working even after an OS upgrade (to a point).

This game is a disgrace , the first one had really fun multiplayer and an actually good fighting system. For this one - it's nothing like the first , they ruined the fighting - they took out all the multiplayer modes leaving you deathmatch and team deathmatch.

It looks like they were trying to go for a cartoony change of GTA instead of following up the unique elements of the first game.

I've never enjoyed a hockey game , but this one is so much fun. I've been playing it non-stop. Once you get a hang of the controlls and shooting , you'll become addicted to this. The online is rarely works when you try to play 6 people vs 6 - but normal 1v1 matches always work.

I'm trying to rent Dead Space and Brothers in Arms right now.

Really wish I had a PS3 right about now ...

but these coming weeks are going to be great for everyone

and then these two which are supposed to be the massive titles for each console but really can't compete with the above (in terms of fun that is , sales who knows).

and then later you got this to look forward to

I got Bioshock on Friday. It's not bad - not my cup of tea but I can see why people raved over it.

If it's still in my possession in a fortnight it'll be a miracle, however.

We've been playing through this again. We really like these types of co-op games where there's no split screen and we can do everything in the game together. We've got the second one in this series and the two Baldur's Gate games to play later on as well.

We played some version on the XBox as well, some type of D&D type smash and grab game but now I can't remember the name. Anyone?

Anyway, I wish there were more of these co-op games out there.

There is only one movie that I'm waiting for and it is Alan Wake from remedy. Looks really interesting movie. And because it is from Remedy it must be good.

The Adventure Starts Here!
There is only one movie that I'm waiting for and it is Alan Wake from remedy. Looks really interesting movie. And because it is from Remedy it must be good.
You mean GAME from Remedy. Granted, the game trailer is now appearing in some parts of the world ahead of the MOVIE Max Payne, but this is still just a game.

I've been following this game's development for years now, and Remedy's LOOOOOOONG silence on its progress was finally broken this week with a peek at the trailer and more screenshots. The game graphics looks absolutely amazing (screenshot):

You mean GAME from Remedy. Granted, the game trailer is now appearing in some parts of the world ahead of the MOVIE Max Payne, but this is still just a game.

I've been following this game's development for years now, and Remedy's LOOOOOOONG silence on its progress was finally broken this week with a peek at the trailer and more screenshots. The game graphics looks absolutely amazing (screenshot):

yeah for sure,although I wouldn't mind another sequel to the Max Payne franchise it's probably one of the best games I've ever played haven't seen the movie though (November 14th for the UK).Today while I was walking in one of the shopping centers here I saw Bioshock for 10 pounds and I was pretty tempted

Welcome to the human race...
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem ~ GameCube

Finally decided to get around to finishing it after leaving my copy sitting around the house for at least a couple of years. Decent enough survival horror game (at least enough to tide me over until I pick up whatever Resident Evil games I can find), somewhat easy to get the hang of.

Fallout 3 (PC version, I couldn't wait for the PS3 one but I'll probably get that next week) - It's as good as you've been expecting. Honest.

Oblivion/Morrowind in a post-Apocalyptic setting with much better character textures (but some iffy backgrounds - roll on the mods!), turn-based elements to combat and a traditional levelling system. It's a next gen Fallout game and, as such, I think it's bloody fantastic.

It's also not too hard on PC specs. I've got an average enough system (AMD 6000+, 9800GT, 4GB RAM, Vista x64) and can run it at my monitor's highest resolution on ultra high settings (8x AA etc) as smoothly as Barry White through butter.

I'm playing Fallout 3 on 360 right now - it really is amazing. So many big choices to make throughout the story.

I also played the new Banjo Kazooie demo - and it's such a big let down.

The game is made for widescreen only - so on my fullscreen TV it's impossible to read the tiny text. So i have no idea what to do - and it's also hard to play the game with such a small little cropped off screen.

It's a shame Rare doesn't have the skill to make Banjo Kazooie full-screen accessible like every other major game.

I've been playing some Far Cry 2 as well - which forces you to drive around everywhere and that's getting pretty annoying. Fable 2 has really fun fighting and some fun missions - but I didn't mind trading it in prematurely to get Fallout 3 (at blockbuster that is).

It talks of a few graphical glitches but, believe me, the glitches are also there in the PC version (whether to the same degree I don't know). I've seen people walking around without a face as mentioned on the PS3.

Got Bioshock, not blown away and someone told me the twist already. Probably complete it and trade in for Fallout 3

A system of cells interlinked
Not blown away?

I don't get you guys...

It's such an achievement... the water alone should have blown everyone away....

That surreal plane crash and initial descent into Rapture intro is simply the BEST intro to any game, ever.

Fallout does look sick...