The King's reviews

→ in
Tools    

The King of Movies
For latest reviews go to last page

Captivity

Captivity staring Elisha Cuthbert, is pretty much the crappy verson of Saw. I can pretty much sum up the plot in about 7 words: Girl gets kidnapped has to get free. It's that simple. I pretty much hated this cheap exuse for a horror/thriller film. There is a couple of twists but thats about it. So if you are in the mood for a Saw-like movie either watch a Saw movie or get Vacancy.

Don't fall for the cool promo poster, i give this movie 1 star out of 5.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Believe it or not but this was the first time i have ever seen Raiders. Now i actually was not expecting much and at times i got bored but overall this is a pretty good adventure film. My fav bit was when Indy was going to have a fight with that massive sword fighter guy and Indy just shot him. Classic. For my generation the CGI was a bit lame but i think back when this was made that this movie was a head of its time. One question i have about this movie is, is what was the point of the start when he was in South America and the famouse boulder scene happend??? I guess i just have to watch Temple of Doom and it will make sense.

Over all not the best movie i have ever seen but still it was fun, i give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Godzilla (1998)

DAM, i love this movie!!!!! It was on SCI-FI today and i decided to watch it. This movie along with Jurrasic Park would be my official childhood movies. I still can not get over how much i love this movie. I don't know what it is, but IMO this movie is a classic. The CGI might be a little bad but thats all i have to criticsise this movie about. I think if you are in the mood for some mindless action with some plot let Godzilla be it. By far the best flick in series, i think it was the best film of 1998.

I give it 4 and a half stars out of 5.

Welcome to the human race...
It's your thread. You can review any movie you want, I guess.

To answer your question about what the point of the entire South America prologue was - quite simply, it's just a fun little mini-adventure. It's considered an homage to old James Bond films where each movie starts off with Bond on a mission that more often than not has nothing to do with the rest of the film. The reason it's included is because it's just fun to watch (and in the case of Raiders it introduces Indy, Belloq and the antagonism the two share for each other - points that are crucial for the rest of the film).

To finish off, Temple of Doom also has nothing to do with the opening of Raiders - hell, Temple even starts off in the same way with the audience is dropped in on the climax of another Indy adventure.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, although I'd rate it a few points higher myself. The fact that you rate Godzilla higher, however...

I'd just like to point out that there isn't any CGI in Raiders. It was made in "the good old days" before films were constructed around CGI and, instead, had these old fashioned things called "scripts", which contained words and, on occassion, made sense.

I enjoyed reading your reviews though. It's refreshing to hear about films such as Raiders Of The Lost Ark in a new voice and without all the baggage/nostalgia/reverence that I'm used to.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
God, I like Roland Emmerich, hell I even started a thread for him somewhere round these parts, but Godzilla, me no likey...

The King of Movies
God, I like Roland Emmerich, hell I even started a thread for him somewhere round these parts, but Godzilla, me no likey...
come on you must have liked it when it first came out at least?

The King of Movies
I'd just like to point out that there isn't any CGI in Raiders. It was made in "the good old days" before films were constructed around CGI and, instead, had these old fashioned things called "scripts", which contained words and, on occassion, made sense.

I enjoyed reading your reviews though. It's refreshing to hear about films such as Raiders Of The Lost Ark in a new voice and without all the baggage/nostalgia/reverence that I'm used to.
holly crap, are you joking???

Registered Creature
Was Captivity better than, let's say, The Eye (starring Jessica Alba?).

It's kind of silly, but nowadays I'm comparing every horror movie against The Eye. I'm not sure why. (For those who haven't seen it yet, it SUCKS).

Pfft, Lennon would've been 4 years old when Godzilla came out. How many movies do you still like from when you were four, dude?

holly crap, are you joking???
I think it's meant to be taken as a bit of a joke. If not, I'd like to see Honeykid try and apply that logic to something like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Was Captivity better than, let's say, The Eye (starring Jessica Alba?).

It's kind of silly, but nowadays I'm comparing every horror movie against The Eye. I'm not sure why. (For those who haven't seen it yet, it SUCKS).
You say "seen it yet" as if we might actually want to see it at some point in the future. Now I'm curious - can you compare something like The Evil Dead or The Thing (my favourite horror films) against them and tell me what you think?

^ True. But I'm sure there are some people on here who are going to see The Eye at some point in their lives.
Yeah, the ones who still have a lot to learn, I guess...

I would, if I'd seen The Thing and Evil Dead. They're probably a gazillion times better than The Eye though lol. I still haven't seen a lot of the horror classics yet, but I've got 'em on DVD, so I'll probably check them out one of these days.
I think they're far superior. Be warned, though, they're considered horror for a reason.

What kind of classics do you have on DVD, then?

The King of Movies
^ True. But I'm sure there are some people on here who are going to see The Eye at some point in their lives.

I would, if I'd seen The Thing and Evil Dead. They're probably a gazillion times better than The Eye though lol. I still haven't seen a lot of the horror classics yet, but I've got 'em on DVD, so I'll probably check them out one of these days.
Everything is better than The Eye. The Eye was a bad movie. Hell, bad is a compliment for that trainwreck of a film.

Registered Creature
Everything is better than The Eye. The Eye was a bad movie. Hell, bad is a compliment for that trainwreck of a film.
Really? Even Children of the Living Dead? That was pretty bad, too. But not even on par with The Eye. D:

The King of Movies
The Eye (2008)

This movie is a joke. Boring, is pretty much the best word to describe it. There is nothing scary about this movie other than the directing (lol that was a lame joke). An insult to horror genre as a whole, this movie was horrible. The plot is OK (a person who gets an eye transplant, has premimisions) but then i remember that this movie is god-dam remake, so the only good thing about it, is actually ripped off from some asian dirrector!

The film tries to be scary with out showing any gore (simmler to films like the Ring), but fails badly.

Please if you want to watch a scary film with out much gore, rent Vacancy or something like that. I give this movie 1/2 a star out of five.

The Exorcist, Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, etc. I'm not entirely sure. I'm not a wiz at the horror genre. Lol.

Oh, and also I meant I had classics like The Thing and The Evil Dead in particular on DVD. I don't have every horror classic ever made.
Certainly sounds like you're off to a good start, though. All of those are classics (hell, I totally forgot about Jaws, but then again I don't really consider it a horror film).

Registered Creature
Certainly sounds like you're off to a good start, though. All of those are classics (hell, I totally forgot about Jaws, but then again I don't really consider it a horror film).
Gah, I'm not even allowed to watch The Exorcist yet. Lame, lol.

I can understand that, though. There's this one part of Evil Dead that is probably enough grounds for you to not watch it either.

The King of Movies
Pfft, Lennon would've been 4 years old when Godzilla came out. How many movies do you still like from when you were four, dude?
Im roughly the same age as Lennon and when Godzila came out, i was like 5, and i loved it and i was watching it yesterday and i still loved it. Godzilla, Jurrassic Park and Toy Soilders were movies i was obssesed with back then and still am today.

Registered Creature
I was allowed to watch Exorcist: The Beginning, which I really didn't like all that much. I was told by some it was a total disgrace to the original lol.

The Evil Dead... isn't like comedy though, right? Not like Army of Darkness...

The Evil Dead... isn't like comedy though, right? Not like Army of Darkness...
No, definitely not like Army of Darkness. Evil Dead is still rather funny, though in a completely different and much blacker way than Army of Darkness is.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yup but I was five. Barney was also good back then.