Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Sterile Cuckoo (Alan J. Pakula, 1969)

Liza Minnelli got her first Oscar nom for Best Actress in her second film, limning the adorably-insecure Pookie opposite an enormously insecure co-star, making his film debut, Wendell Burton, playing Jerry. Burton, although he never really made it big in movies at all, is a perfect foil to Minnelli's Pookie and grounds the film in recognizable humanity. The film is actually rather simple although that shouldn't mean simplistic. It's a Power Struggle, a Battle of the Sexes, but this time it involves 18-year-olds going off to neighboring colleges, seemingly to not only get away from their parents but to find themselves. Initially, Pookie's erratic behavior seems to put her in charge of the relationship, but eventually Jerry's ability to root himself in reality takes over. It does contain multiple usage of the Sandpipers' smash, "Come Saturday Morning".

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Nicholas Stoller, 2008)

One thing you can say about Judd Apatow produced and directed films is that they always depict men as emotionally unable to compete with women on an even keel. They also tend to be much longer than the average sex/romantic comedy since they seem to range from about 115 minutes to 140 minutes. Woody Allen took a long time to make a film longer than 95 minutes, but he was too naive to try to make big bucks initially. This film contains plenty of big laughs and smaller guffaws, but it mostly does represent a truth between the sexes, and that's why I tend to cut these Apatow comedies more slack than a few do around here. I keep hearing this idiotic mantra, "well, comedy is subjective..."; WTF? You don't think drama, horror, action, fantasy, etc. are subjective? OK, signing off.

The Manchurian Candidate (John Frankenheimer, 1962)
+

This is just a terrific film, undoubtedly deserving a higher rating, but I still have to stay with my class. It's a terrific black comedy/paranoid thriller/suspense flick. It's crammed with so many dark and twisted things that it's almost unAmerican to accept how perfect the plot is. Remember, this film was released before the first Kennedy assassination. That's one of the main reasons it disappeared for so many years. I'm pretty sure that most people will agree that this film contains the best performances by Laurence Harvey, Frank Sinatra, James Gregory and Angela Lansbury. The twisted dark humor, involving the brainwashing scene, has never been replicated; no, not even in Dr. Strangelove. Yes, this is in my Top 35 films, per my Top 100 List, so it probably needs a higher rating than
, But I can be just as stubborn as you can.

Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960)

My number 2 film of all time. While watching this yesterday, I really had to step back, once again, and decide why I picked Jaws as my number 1 because I had this and "The Fish Movie" tied for first for so long that I never thought I'd have to perform an operation to separate them. Jaws is as close to perfection as a film comes, at least if not compared to this shining star of honest emotion, raucous characterization, contradiction in what's important in daily life, general "love thy neighbor" policy, deeply satirical interpretations of human behavior, and the basic law of "he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone". Elmer Gantry has probably the most amazing script ever written, with a non-stop collection of witty and pungent lines every few seconds. Richard Brooks easily wrote his best script, and performed his best direction, both visually and using his cast, and he deserves special kudos for making Elmer Gantry as relevant today as it it was almost 50 years ago when it came out. If you don't believe me, just check out this year's Presidential campaign.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
At first, before the image showed, I thought you were talking about Pam Grier. I think there's lifting involved in Tralala's outfit, but Jennifer Jason Leigh has been topless in plenty of movies, all the way from Fast Times at Ridgemont High to last year's Margot at the Wedding.
wait, what? i meant her eyes.

Registered Creature
Wild Child. Blergh.

Emma Roberts and Alex P (the guy from Stormbreaker; can't remember his last name) are such an odd couple. I cringed every scene they kissed, it looked like a grown man kissing a ten year-old.

Mamma Mia! - Who cares

Hello, I'm a homosexual stereotype and this is the greatest film ever made.
Enjoy it!!

You're a Genius all the time

The Mist (Frank Darabont, 2007)

Frank Darabont has directed three adaptations of Stephen King stories and this is the best one, easy. Going in, I had only known the basic idea of Tom Jane and co. being stranded in a supermarket while hidden monsters waged war on the outside world. Not the most original starting point, but the movie is so much more. It manages to be scary and suspenseful despite being guilty of absurdly betraying its audience's intelligence on several occasions and just being silly in general. Actually, I know I really liked The Mist, but the more I think about it, I can't figure out why I liked it.

It's funny, the flick is refreshingly subtle in so many ways, but then there are times when it just becomes this overblown mess where everything characters say or do is preposterous. I fully realize how ridiculous it is to accuse a film of being inane or unfaithful to its characters when the main plot of said film revolves around bloodthirsty monsters lurking in an all-encompassing mist. But there are more than a few times in this thing where I felt a little cheated. All the characters are stereotypes and there are some (in particular Marcia Gay Harden's religious fanatic) that are way too broadly drawn. Everybody's overracting, too. I think in any other movie, not one of the performances in The Mist would work. But, for whatever reason, they work in The Mist.

There are some minor things that really did bother me. The overuse of a piece of spiritual music towards the end was pretty grating and there was also some pretty shoddy CGI on display. But those kinds of things are forgivable in a movie that just picks you up and takes you along for a ride like this one. For all its flaws, it works.

So, yeah, I know I really liked the movie. But I am conflicted about my feelings on the ending...

WARNING: "The Mist" spoilers below
So at the end of the film, Tom Jane's character (David), his son and a few other survivors manage to escape the monster-besieged supermarket in his car. They drive away, trying to flee from the deadly mist, but they soon run out of gas. Supposedly surrounded on all sides by monsters, they decide to shoot themselves. Unfortunately, they only have enough bullets for four people and there are five of them. David volunteers to kill them all himself and face the unenviable fate of becoming monster food. They agree, he kills them all, including his small child. Literally one minute after he shoots these four people, the mist clears and it is revealed the National Guard has defeated the monsters and all is well. The last shot of the film is David, on his knees, screaming towards the sky.

This whole sequence is completely out of whack with the rest of the film. The David of the first half of the flick would never have shot his young son. Never. Plus, it goes against a lot of the themes and ideals the movie spent the last two hours preaching to us. That said, I do respect the heck out of Darabont for having the balls to do this. If you can look past the lack of continuity with the rest of the movie, the ending is undeniably effective and a real stomach punch. Apparently, King's novel has a more ambiguous finale, which I think I would've preferred. I still haven't made up my mind on whether or not I dug this ending.

I do know I dug the movie, though.

I've been told by a couple of people to watch The Mist in its intended black and white version. I don't know why, but that's what I'm gonna do now.

I am half agony, half hope.
Rebecca

This was a fantastic movie. Olivier was to-die-for handsome and broody, and Joan Fontaine well suited to the innocent role she played.

Maxim (Olivier) brings his young bride home to Manderley, but the shadow of his deceased wife, Rebecca, lurks in every nook and cranny of the large estate.
Ms. Danvers, the head housekeeper, is there to welcome the newlyweds back to manderley. She is truly one of the best evil villians I've seen onscreen, and she makes the new Mrs. De Winter uncomfortable and frightened. Young wife tries to be accommodating of Ms. Danvers, who is mostly stone faced and respectful, but you can feel the menace in her. She loved her former mistress and lets Young Wife know how lovely, gracious, perfect Rebecca was.

Of course, things come to a head one night at a party at Manderley, and Maxim sets things straight with his bride about the death of his first wife. Things were not as they had seemed. Maxim has a secret that can tear his life, and his bride's, apart.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I like Rebecca a lot, but it doesn't especially seem like an Alfred Hitchcock film to me. It's psychologically taut, but it doesn't really contain the normal Hitchcock visual flourishes and black comedy, but that's probably because it's a David O.Selznick film as much or moreso than a Hitchcock flick. Selznick collected the Best Picture Oscar for the second year in a row with Rebecca, on the heels of Gone With the Wind. Either way, I highly recommend Rebecca.

P.S. - Mrs. Darcy, you should know about Olivier being handsome since he played Mr. Darcy the same year (1940) as Rebecca in Pride and Prejudice. Now, it's not like you don't realize what he looks like in either film, but I'll post these for the uninitiated.

Rebecca

Pride and Prejudice

Registered Creature
Rambo (2008).

Mediocre film at best. I haven't seen the other ones though.

Rebecca

This was a fantastic movie. Olivier was to-die-for handsome and broody, and Joan Fontaine well suited to the innocent role she played.
Rebecca is in my top 5 favorite Hitchcock films.

Battlefield Earth
Death Race
Ashes to Ashes
(TV SERIES)
Hitman
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Dewey Cox
Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane

Ratings and that in Quickie thread, in a bit

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I like Rebecca a lot, but it doesn't especially seem like an Alfred Hitchcock film to me. It's psychologically taut, but it doesn't really contain the normal Hitchcock visual flourishes and black comedy, but that's probably because it's a David O.Selznick film as much or moreso than a Hitchcock flick. Selznick collected the Best Picture Oscar for the second year in a row with Rebecca, on the heels of Gone With the Wind. Either way, I highly recommend Rebecca.
What's interesting about this, too, is that since Hitch hated Selnick's interference, he decided from that moment on he wanted control over his films.

Ironic, too, since he is considered such a great director and the mentor/idol of so many filmmakers, yet this is the only film that won BP. More than anything, that might be attributed to the power of Selznick at the time.

It's interesting to watch Rebecca and think about how Selznick might have interfered, but it seems clear that no matter how much Hitch might have been upset, it seems the master was behind the camera.

It's one of my favorite older films, too.

Registered Creature
Wait a sec, you were allowed to watch Rambo but not Pulp Fiction? It must be because of the Gimp.
Haha, don't worry, I was told to close my eyes at the naughty scenes.

But that's a good question. I guess my Dad only limits certain films lol. Which is kinda weird, 'cause we've probably seen more violent. Maybe when I'm 14 or 15.

What's a Gimp? xD

Welcome to the human race...
A Gimp is like the Matrix - you can't really be told what it is...you have to see it for yourself...