Evangelion live action movie?

Tools    

I've been hearing on and off about a Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie! I've seen a few concept drawings (official??), and I'm almost positive there are plans in the making... Does anyone know anything/have any opinions??

I think Eva, if it were done with a high-budget and a creative director, could be a spectacular movie! I would especially love to see both the literal and metaphorical plot in the director's interpretation. Not to mention kick-ass special effects ^__^.

Oh! Thank you so much! Those links, especially the first one, are packed with good info

Registered Creature
Hm, you won't mind if I revive this? I'm an Eva fan, if you haven't noticed.

The Live-Action Eva Movie/Live-Action Movie Eva/LAEM/LAME will probably not be released in the near future. It was announced in 2003 and as of now is officially considered to be in development hell. They haven't got a director yet or anything. Maybe in the next ten years' or so it will FINALLY move into production, judging by the state it's in right now.

I just hope, if it ever DOES get made, it's made right, with the perfect possible director. And each movie (it's reported they're making a trilogy) not shorter than three hours. And not re-naming Tokyo 3 as New York 3. And not with Freddy Highmore, Daniel Radcliffe or Shia LaBeouf as Shinji. And not Dakota Fanning as Rei. I'm done now.

Is it going to be produced by Hollywood? 'was in Hong Kong last April and saw a movie poster in the MTR (their subway). 'looks like it's going to be a Japanese live-action film. Can anyone confirm this?

Registered Creature
I'm positive you were mistaken; they haven't even found a director for the project yet. No official castings, either. Nothing. LAME is pretty much dead. :/

When and IF it ever does finally move into production, I'm not sure if it's going to feature an all-asian cast. They said they would feature mostly a cast 'of European descent'. I think. But they said something about featuring mostly an asian cast too, so I'm confused. =S

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I read about this a long time ago, Peter Jackson was involved at one point, and yes, Daniel radcliffe was being considered to star in it, but then after a few design drawings surfaced, it dropped off the face of the earth. I kind of want it to not be revived. I loved the series, it was as if David Lynch and David Cronenberg made Robotech, it was very much of it's time period (mid to late 1990's) and you just know that a lot of the more controversial aspects of it would be taken out. There was a really bad manga remake of it where the characters were normal and well adjusted, Shinji wasn't an abused child, Rei wasn't this soulless thing, Asuka was still a bitch, but not for any deep psychological reasons....I know thats what a film remake would be like, and it's horrible.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Registered Creature
There were some rumours about Peter Jackson interested in directing, but I think he had to drop it in the end because of King Kong, and some other stuff. (Which really was a shame, because he would have turned LAME into something amazing). Daniel Radcliffe considered at one point? Would you mind providing a link? What I've been told 'tis all just rumours.

Yeah, I love Eva too. I completely agree with what you said about the horrible remake of the manga... it's actually an alternate universe. It's called Angelic Days. So bad.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
There were some rumours about Peter Jackson interested in directing, but I think he had to drop it in the end because of King Kong, and some other stuff. (Which really was a shame, because he would have turned LAME into something amazing). Daniel Radcliffe considered at one point? Would you mind providing a link? What I've been told 'tis all just rumours.

Yeah, I love Eva too. I completely agree with what you said about the horrible remake of the manga... it's actually an alternate universe. It's called Angelic Days. So bad.
I don't have a link but it was in a magazine I used to read called Animerica, which isn't published anymore, i don't think.

Registered Creature
That's fine.

I actually want LAME to be made. Just by the right people. But the chances of it leaving development hell anytime soon are slim. :/

I read about this a long time ago, Peter Jackson was involved at one point, and yes, Daniel radcliffe was being considered to star in it, but then after a few design drawings surfaced, it dropped off the face of the earth. I kind of want it to not be revived. I loved the series, it was as if David Lynch and David Cronenberg made Robotech, it was very much of it's time period (mid to late 1990's) and you just know that a lot of the more controversial aspects of it would be taken out. There was a really bad manga remake of it where the characters were normal and well adjusted, Shinji wasn't an abused child, Rei wasn't this soulless thing, Asuka was still a bitch, but not for any deep psychological reasons....I know thats what a film remake would be like, and it's horrible.
I find it hard to believe it will be filmed in Japan in this case...

Registered Creature
^ It would be nice if they did, though. I honestly don't want them renaming Tokyo 3 as New York 3. That's just dumb.

And as for the problem with the names if the cast are all, well, non-Asian... I don't want them changing Asuka's name to Kate Rose and Misato's to Susan Whitnell as they're rumoured to. That is so lame. I want them keeping their Japanese names, or otherwise that's just going to kill the movie for me.