Not Sleeping for 48 Hours - Can I Do It?

Tools    

I am going to try and stay on MovieForums starting midnight sometime this month (I'll announce the date a little later) and stop in 2 days. So in other words, I am going to stay on MoFo's for 48 hours, and take 1 Melatonin for every 24 hour period (2 times). Sounds crazy? While I'm trying to see if I can do this - Because I've been up really late every night, and if I can do this then I can practically do anything if I set my mind to it.

I really just want to try this out and see if I can actually take it, for fun and the heck of it. Wish me luck. I should post in the shoutbox when the date is so everybody can see it.

"If you can't sleep, than think positive: Screw Sleep!"

The most I ever made it was about thirty-nine hours. I had the aid of lots of Coca-Cola, but no drugs other than caffeine, legal or illegal.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Great. I'll probably get blamed when the police find this thread after this guy snaps and shoots 12 people.

I've gone maybe 30 hours. After that I felt like I'd been drugged.

I've gone without sleep for 48 + hours numerous times... it's not a good thing though and can actually do a lot of damage to your system... and is not something I would recommend doing just for the hell of it....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
I've done it numerous times, usually with some artificial stamina obtained through illegal means I shant mention here. That was years ago, when I first started going to raves, circa '97 or so...

Those sleepless nights are long gone for me, although I still attend parties in a much more sober capacity...

I would usually leave for NYC on a Friday night, and I wouldn't sleep until Sunday on the ride home, or sometimes Sunday night if the car was packed with people...

Yikes...

How long is that statute of limitations, btw...

I've gone about over a day, I think. It's cos I was anxious about something.

I personally wouldn't recommend it. You'll be surprised at how the lack of sleep affects you emotionally, intelligent and, of course, physically. Try it and see.

I did a stint during Desert Storm that was around 50 or so hours, but to be fair that was a time when you did not even think about sleep. Trying to do it just sitting around would be tough.

I think the longest I ever lasted was about a week (just kidding).

In reality around 30 hours is the longest I've gone (back in my clubbing days). I was seriously crotchety, light headed, and depressed by the end of it, so be careful.

I use to stay up all the time my junior and senior year. 48 hours was nothing. Then in my early 20's, I would sleep for roughly 5 hours on Monday, Tuesday, and usually that much on Wednesday, but by Thursday it dropped a lot. I usually never slept on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. After my second child, I slowed down. Who wouldn't!?!

My record is 7 days. I gave birth, and got to keep her in my room. I stayed awake, because the norm is only two days tops, and you go home. Well, ten years ago, it was. I do better just staying awake, instead of cat-napping. No matter if you get your baby on a good schedule to start, or not, it just doesn't happen that first few days. I get real annoyed doing cat naps. Anyway, she had jaundice, so that was going to add some time. I had them bring her 'tanning bed' in my room. I still wanted to tend to her myself. After my time was up, they wanted to send me home. Never mind what I said to him, but I got one hell of a nice room. Then they found a heart murmur. They said that it can happen from time to time, and that it was probably nothing, but they still monitor it. So for roughly 2 days she was hooked up to that. I took a one hour nap on that last evening, we all have our breaking points, and then they let us go. I took her to my grandmother's, and mother's, followed by getting home to a very messed up house. I put the kids to bed, and then cleaned all night. I took a three hour nap, woke them, got them their Easter baskets, yes it was a holiday, and then we went to my mother's. Once I realized I was dozing off in my mashed potatoes, I ran all the errands I had to, to get loads of baby supplies, and then I went home and crashed every last time that she did. On her first set of shots, the 2 week set, the nurse kept starring at me, and finally asked, "May I test your blood?" I asked why, and she said, "Because you look drained." She said it couldn't have read any lower, without me needing to be in the hospital. I was severely anemic. She wanted me to start taking loads of vitamins, and whatever. I hate taking pills, so I just ate better, and slept more. OK, I'll stop sharing this story now.

Anyway, I have had sleeping disorders since I was roughly eight years old. Sleep walking was one of the bigger problems. That, and 'freaking me out' nightmares. Never have a nightmare in a sleeping bag. It can really **** with your head. Especially when you are dreaming that someone is trying to run over you with a lawn mower. My mother thought that she would never get me out of that thing.

Sleep walking was one of the bigger problems. That, and 'freaking me out' nightmares.
I went through a period of my life when I started having nightmares, the kind where you wake up sweating and with your heart hammering. Got a divorce and it cleared right up. Haven't had a nightmare in 20 years or more.

Back in my 40s and 50s, I used to get off work, go home, shower, shave and change clothes and then hit the Houston honky tonks and drink and dance until they closed at 2 a.m. Then a bunch of us would go get a good greasy breakfast to help soak up the booze. Then I'd end up at some friend's apartment or she would end up at mine until the break of dawn when one of us would have to go home. I'd then get a couple of hours sleep before having to get up, shower and shave and head off to work. That would happen 3, maybe 4 times a week. I always liked to sleep til noon Saturdays and Sundays to rest up, and the honky tonks closed on Mondays. Back when Gilley's was still active, they used to open up after noon Saturdays and Sundays, had a live band and all, so I'd sometimes go out there.

Now that I'm in my 60s and out of shape cause I haven't run the bars in ages, I couldn't do that, even without the booze. My wife and doctors now fuss at me if get only 5-6 hours of sleep each night, and to tell the truth I also begin to feel it after 4-5 nights. So I'm really trying to get more sleep. Not having much luck, however. As you age, your body starts playing tricks on you and you wake up more often to go to the bathroom (which sure beats not waking up to go to the bathroom). Even so almost every time I go to bed before midnight, I wake up that much earlier the next morning. Or worse yet, wake up about 2-3 a.m. and can't get back to sleep at all.

I've gone without sleep for 48 + hours numerous times... it's not a good thing though and can actually do a lot of damage to your system... and is not something I would recommend doing just for the hell of it....
mm this is true. When we were younger and in need of money. we'd work all day at our normal jobs then go and do shifts doing overnight cleaning in big hotels in London, then go straight back to work the next morning without a break. Makes you feel like shite and messes with your stomach too.

Originally Posted by Aquadias
So in other words, I am going to stay on MoFo's for 48 hours, and take 1 Melatonin for every 24 hour period (2 times).

Why would you take melatonin? I was taking melatonin every night for the past two months - that stuff makes you sleepier. I don't think you'll last taking melatonin... drink lots of Coke instead.

I've tried the "not sleeping for 48 hours" before. I didn't get very far, but it was a worthy attempt. The problem with overloading on Coke is that you'll end up crashing even harder, which makes the task that much more difficult.

Caffeine doesn't work for me. I've taken caffeine pills one time in my life, and I past out for about 5 1/2 hours. I woke up under my living room window, a good five feet from where I had been doing paperwork, and I just about freaked. I had no clue what, when, or where I was for a bit. When I have to take pain killers, though . . . I'm totally wired!

I did a stint during Desert Storm that was around 50 or so hours, but to be fair that was a time when you did not even think about sleep. Trying to do it just sitting around would be tough.
That is soooo not good... especially since sleep deprivation has been known to make someone hallucinate... and you were packing.... I went for about 52 hours back when the levee broke... 'twas very surreal. I ended up sleeping on a concrete floor and could have cared less how hard it was....

I have had sleeping disorders since I was roughly eight years old. Sleep walking was one of the bigger problems. That, and 'freaking me out' nightmares. Never have a nightmare in a sleeping bag. It can really **** with your head. Especially when you are dreaming that someone is trying to run over you with a lawn mower. My mother thought that she would never get me out of that thing.
My Mom used to think I had a sleep disorder because I've always only slept a max of 4 hours at a time... Doctor told her it apparently was just what was normal for me...

I don't remember having a lot of nightmares as kid... they started when I was older and on my own... and the majority of the time have been work related...

Caffeine doesn't work for me. I've taken caffeine pills one time in my life, and I past out for about 5 1/2 hours. I woke up under my living room window, a good five feet from where I had been doing paperwork, and I just about freaked. I had no clue what, when, or where I was for a bit. When I have to take pain killers, though . . . I'm totally wired!
Caffeine has that effect on my sister... I used to give her cokes thinking it would help keep her awake...

Since I can remember, I've always had a few, to many nightmares most nights. They were at least weird, if not scary. They are slowing down with my old age.
The sleep walking is weird, and also slowing down, to pretty much over with. At first I would always go into the kitchen, and empty all of the cabinets out onto the counter. Then I'd just go back to bed. Then I started moving other things around the house. This started when I was eight. My mother caught the kitchen activity, but when she missed it, I would know that I had been walking about again, because whatever I did in my dream, the same things were moved around in the house. I scratched my arm one time, and fell down a tall step on another go, but that's been it on the injuries.*Knock on wood!* I didn't even know about scratching my arm, until the next morning. I woke-up, and when I sat up, I felt a bunch of things under my feet. I had brought a bunch of my things into my mother's room, and I was sleeping with her. When I crossed my arms, I felt the scratch. It went from my wrist, to my elbow.
In this house, I've only done it a handful of times. I woke-up once to a bunch of snack wrappers all over the floor. Then one time, I obviously thought it was hot. I'm just real happy that I woke-up before the kids did.