66) Unhinged
67) Visiting Hours
68) The Werewolf and the Yeti
69) The Witch Who Came from the Sea
70) Women Behind Bars
71) Xtro
72) Zombie Creeping Flesh
73) Zombie Flesh Eaters

Nice list sawman, is that the official list of bannings or just your favourites? Imagine UF is gonna be only other one to touch the sides of that one.

Now Cannes is over for the year, i thought making a list for all the Palme d'Or winners would be quite a nice companion to the Oscar winners list.....? Pwetty pwease

Hmm, sorry, I try to stick to semi-"official" lists. They have to be static and derived by some kind of film-related organization, generally.

Love the Palme d'Or winners list, though, Pyro. I'll see what I can do.

Hmm, sorry, I try to stick to semi-"official" lists. They have to be static and derived by some kind of film-related organization, generally.

Love the Palme d'Or winners list, though, Pyro. I'll see what I can do.
Thought you meant the Palme d'Or list wasn't official enough

That's smart, Yoda. I mostly just think it would be neat to see a new list up there.

Hang on, video nasties were a series of bannings by the BBFC in the 80s. So it's static as the movement is over and won't change plus the BBFC are as much of an official film related organisation as your MPAA.....

It's static, though it's not a list based on quality in any measure, really. I'm not saying we can't do it, just that I would be inclined against it. Partially because I'm picky about this sort of thing. But I'm always open to opposing views.

Shifting back to the Palme d'Or for a moment, though: originally, Cannes gave out an award called the "Gran Prix" before switching to the Palme d'Or, and even switched back to the Gran Prix at one point, before moving back to the Palme d'Or for good (so far) in 1975. It might be a bit misleading, then, to call all the winners "Palme d'Or winners," but it'd be a bit incomplete not to list the Gran Prix winners, as well.

What do you guys think? Should I just call them all Palme d'Or winners? Call them Palme d'Or/Gran Prix winners? Just go from 1975 on? Just try to find a way to denote the timeline? Would love some quick feedback.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Call it Top Cannes Award Winners or Cannes' Top Award Winners. You could always denote the difference with an asterisk if necessary.

What Mark said and I also agree with you Chris on the nasties list. I could give you a ton of different horror and sci-fi lists. The one we have now is fine.

One of these days I hope someone does a Foreign film list that would be good enough to make it into our little club.

Sounds good, so we can expect this list up in the near future Yoda?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Hopefully; I started working on a parser (to avoid having to enter it all by hand) yesterday, but it has some kinks and I have a lot of work vying for my time over the next few days, so it might not happen until Monday or Tuesday.

I'll keep an eye out for any other lists that may be beneficial for the site and if I find any I'll pass it along. Although the Cannes list and the one from Sight & Sound have a decent amount of foreign films in them, I still think an actual foreign language films list would be nice, if only to encourage others to expand their movie watching habits.

Took a bit longer than I'd intended, but here ya' go, MoFos:

Cannes' Award Winners

I think the years on some of the entries might be a year off, because they're going by the year it was awarded, as opposed to release. Let me know if you notice any errors, though obviously it's a relatively minor concern.

Need to look for a few, as I haven't seen that many

That's a fine idea, but at this point it's not genres or ideas for lists we lack, but semi-credible, static sources. These work well in part because they're "official" lists -- either determined by some sort of governing body, or a list of award-winners.

If an organization of some distinction like AFI or Sight & Sound has a list of animated films, I'd love to post it.