Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Snoozle
Some people I talked to were just annoyed by the movie, though, but I loved it. I think I'll do a Stanley Tucci block today!
I liked the end...when they danced through the set...that was classic.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I liked the end...when they danced through the set...that was classic.
Oh--yeah! It's the kind of thing you replay.

Now With Moveable Parts
What's that woman's name that was in it? She was also in High Fidelity?

Lily Taylor?--I didnt' see High Fidelity

Now With Moveable Parts
Lily Taylor...yeah. That's her. I like her. My mom said she's been around awhile...making movies since the early 80's. I looked her up on IMDb and I was surprised at all she had done:

Mystic Pizza
Say Anything
Rudy
Short Cuts
Mrs. Parker & the Vicious Circle
Pret-a-Porter
Four Rooms
I Shot Andy Warhol
The Imposters
Pecker
The Haunting
High Fidelity

And those are just the ones I saw...

Tucci also directed The Impostors and co-directed Big Night (with actor Campbell Scott, who appears in both films). Tucci's next directorial effort was a different flavor than those comedies, Joe Gould's Secret (2000), a good re-telling of that rather famous New York story. I thought Ian Holm had a real shot at an Oscar nomination for his performance as Gould, but I guess not enough Academy members saw the flick. Their loss.

Tucci is three for three behind the lens, and his movies are modestly enough budgeted and do so well critically that he can continue to find independent financing, so I'm sure they'll be more from him in the future.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I loved Big Night. It made me flat-out feel good. Very amusing, too, I thought. Tucci's under-rated, IMO. I never saw all of The Impostors, but I'm going to soon enough...what I did see of it was hilarious.

Lily Taylor...

Mystic Pizza
Say Anything
Rudy
Short Cuts
Mrs. Parker & the Vicious Circle
Pret-a-Porter
Four Rooms
I Shot Andy Warhol
The Imposters
Pecker
The Haunting
High Fidelity

Oh yeah!! The Haunting!!! That's where else I saw her! But I don't remember her in Pret-a-Porter--who was she?

I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned so far, especially Mystery Men and Galaxy Quest.

A few more:

Cannibal! The Musical - hysterically funny stuff from the South Park gods Trey Parker and Matt Stone. If you watch the DVD, you must also watch it with the drunken commentary track .

Psycho Beach Party - great spoof of fifties teen slasher-surf movies.

61* - I don't really like baseball movies, but this one was interesting and well done, v. v. good. I didn't think Billy Crystal had it in him.

Heathers - One of the best movies to come out of the late eighties.

Strictly Ballroom - Baz Luhrmann's (of aforementioned Moulin Rouge! fame) first movie--kooky and crazy, lots of fun, but virtually no one has seen it here in the U.S. of A. If you didn't like Moulin Rouge!, you might like this one.

Waiting for Guffman - Aside from Spinal Tap, the best mockumentary ever made, and one of my ten favorites of all time. Honorable mention goes to Drop Dead Gorgeous and (not quite mockumentary, but really great) American Movie.

What are you waiting for? Go rent these gems! Go!

I Know I'm Gonna Go,
Mary Lo

Lily Taylor...yeah. That's her. I like her. My mom said she's been around awhile...making movies since the early 80's. I looked her up on IMDb and I was surprised at all she had done
Yup--Lili's great. Aside from all the movies Sades listed, she was also in the most excellent (and underrated, so still on topic) Dogfight, with River Phoenix. That was the first movie of hers I ever saw. You should check it out, Sades and all other Lili fans .

Mary Lo

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
Heathers - One of the best movies to come out of the late eighties.

Strictly Ballroom - Baz Luhrmann's (of aforementioned Moulin Rouge! fame) first movie--kooky and crazy, lots of fun, but virtually no one has seen it here in the U.S. of A. If you didn't like Moulin Rouge!, you might like this one.

Mary Lo
Hell Yes! Heathers is an all time favorite of mine, I want to squeeze you and invite you to a slumber party! We'll eat Ho-Ho's and Popcorn!

Strictly Ballroom is another fav...one of the best love stories.

Nices reccomendations Mary Lo. Indeed.
**I'll check out Dogfight; for River as much as for Lili.

I'm always up for Hostess products, Sades--you can eat my share of the popcorn!

Another underrated movie:

American Psycho.

Did anyone mention Cabin Boy in this thread? I've watched it a dozen times at least.
"Would you like to buy a monkey?"

Dinner Rush.

Saw this last night despite its criminally small release in this country. Very enjoyable. Dont really know why this hasnt been picked up on. Apart from the lack of high profile actors anyway.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
American Psycho.
First time I watched that movie I was like...well...

I put it out of my mind and was going along fine, then I was over at my sister's one night and their watching it. So I sat down and gave it another try, I have to say that it's a creepy a*s movie, but it's not the typical run of the mill creepy a*s movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by spudracer
I have to say that it's a creepy a*s movie, but it's not the typical run of the mill creepy a*s movie.
An understatement . It's a creepy, funny, brutal, intelligent satire, and the satiric nature was lost on most viewers, who were so pissed that they didn't know for sure if the things Patrick Bateman did were real (and not his imagination) that they automatically condemned it.

Sorry about my little rant. I just think it was a very good movie that got a bad rap. Or rep. Both.

Mary Lo

Isn't that the movie where the guys compare their business cards and try to outdo each other with paper quality and embossing, etc.? So funny!!!