Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Indeed it is, I was hooked from the start, my favourite shot in the entire film is the waterfall to skipping stones. Beautiful.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Ah, excellent. Wasn't sure if the subject matter would be up your alley. Glad you liked it. You may like A Very Long Engagement, too.

Me, I loved City of Lost Children, although I thought it had a couple of pacing problems...

Amelie was a film i always shrugged off but when i finally watched it, one of the only truly perfect films i've seen.

Meat- have you seen Delicatessen, it's a bit darker than Jeunet's others- cannibals in post apocalypse France (but not gore, just the concept of human meat as an integral consumable product).

Yojimbo (2 viewings)

I love movies with very original ideas that are pursued in a straight forward fashion. This is one of those movies.

Sanjuro , a wandering master-less samurai stops in a city torn apart by two waring factions. The two sides fight over control of the city , but are afraid to fight each other in a battle to the death. Sanjuro who wants to rid the town of both sides - works to make each side destroy each other.

This is the oldest action movie I've seen. It proves that you don't get an exciting film with cool looking special effects - instead you get it with original situations that use their characters wisely to further the story. The visuals are done perfectly and the sword "fights" are a lot of fun. I find it when movies incorporate the setting a lot into the story it gives the entire movie a whole other level of complexity/depth. You will quickly become familiar with the town's main street - where most of the action takes place.

This classic film succeeds at telling a timeless story with acting , visuals , and pace that most modern action films fail to and remains an amazing film through near 70 years of age.

The Wild Bunch (1 viewing)

Nothing about westerns appeal to me , I just don't like the setting they usually take place in - the desert. The Wild Bunch , like many westerns is set there as well and fails to capture the desert's atmosphere. This is however the most entertaining western I've seen (excluding Blazing Saddles if that counts).

The film is about a group of bandits who are on the verge of retirement. It starts with them falling for a trap set up by one of their own - who has to catch them to remain free. The man hunting them down is pretty much absent from the story though - which is my first problem with the movie. They set out for one last job - robbing a train full of guns for a questionable Mexican general. However one of their own wants revenge on the general for murdering his father.

The story suffers from having a weak focus on it's plot - which keeps the film from being powerful ever. So many characters are introduced and you barely get to know any of them. There are also some horrible editing choices made with the use of flashbacks - one that really stands out at the end of the movie.

Visual wise , this movie is shot very well at moments and incredibly boring at other times. The main thing that stands out from the rest of the entire movie - are the shootout scenes. Though they are few in this movie , the shootouts are done very well (despite a few dumb editing techniques). The ending shootout was easily my favorite part of the movie and the reason The Wild Bunch is my favorite western.

Even with the awesome shootouts though , I still can't recommend this movie. It's lacking characters blend together and the story fails to be exciting because of it.

The Wild Bunch (1 viewing)

Nothing about westerns appeal to me , I just don't like the setting they usually take place in - the desert. The Wild Bunch , like many westerns is set there as well and fails to capture the desert's atmosphere.
Errm, Meat, if i remember it was set at the Mexican Border, not Monument Valley like the typical Ford Western.

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite
The film is about a group of bandits who are on the verge of retirement.
They were cowboys (?) at the end of the cowboy era where the Frontier no longer provided jobs, hence the work they're forced to take.

Sin City (3 views)

Frank Millers introduction to the screen is a marvelous one , the atmosphere in this film is violent , disturbing , and corrupt. This movie comes right off the pages of the Sin City books and works even better as a movie.

The thing that jumps out most in this movie is the look. It's primarily in black and white with a few parts of color. The movie is filled to the brim with great CGI that allows the characters to jump down flights of stairs and slice/shoot people up with ease. There isn't a part of the whole thing where you would get bored of the style used here.

The cast is excellent , I didn't see a single person in the whole thing that wasn't perfect for their role. The leads Bruce Willis , Clive Owen , and Micky Rourke get the most time on screen - each of them having their own seperate stories. All the small roles are all played by stars as well - Elijah Wood being as good of cannibal as Rosario Dawson is the leader of the old town hookers.

The three stories told in the movie are each excellent and very original. Each main character narrarates their own part and each of them is in trouble with the corrupt police force. One last thing to point out is the very memorable musical score , that works very well with the multiple layers of audio in the film.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Elijah Wood being as good of cannibal
That was Elijah Wood?!? Didn't notice, but it was a good movie

Tropic Thunder (1 view)

Ben Stiller's directing/writing/acting follow up to Zoolander attempts to parody epic war movie making , but it's not soon before Tropic Thunder looses sight on it's premise and ceases to be funny or entertaining.

What appears in the trailer to be the start for this very random story - is this cast of big name actors are the leads in a huge budget war movie. The movie takes a turn for the worse and becomes "three months behind schedule on the second day of shooting" - so the director decides to drop the actors into dangerous territory and film them while they fight real enemies.

Now I may have wanted to see this movie again , if Edgar Wright and company had not paved the way for this movie - with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. If you're going into this movie expecting something of that caliber - prepare to be disappointed. Ben Stiller , Jack Black , and Robert Downey Jr. sounds like a perfect combination of guys for a comedy - but obviously there is a problem when the script isn't close to good. Instead of working with these three as a comedy team , the story goes on to focus on as many characters as possible - eventually leading to a furious and bald Tom Cruise.

There are a couple of amazing action scenes in Tropic Thunder and that's where all the visual (and comedic) work is put into. The rest of the movie looks as uninspired as the story is. Close up shots of the actors talking dominates the screen and sacrifices another thing the movie should had focused on.

Unfortunately Tropic Thunder doesn't have the substance and humor to become a great comedy , instead it has just enough to watch it over something like Disaster Movie.

12 Monkeys (2 views)

Terry Gilliam is a director who always delivers complex and often surreal films , but I feel this is the best work he has done to date. His films usually are great at forcing you to think about what's going on and suffer from having a weak plot. 12 Monkeys is the best time travel movie I've seen and even though it's characters aren't as important to the movie as they should be - it entertains and provokes thought like no other Gilliam movie has for me.

Bruce Willis plays James Cole - a convict of his post apocalyptic time , who is sent back in time when he makes a deal to do some research for shorter jail sentence. It's not long before Cole discovers the symbol of the 12 Monkeys and travels through time to find out who they are and what their virus is that killed off the majority of humans in the world - forcing them underground.

The movie unfolds at a fast pace and will probably seem like complete madness on the first viewing - but once you've seen it the first time : you can appreciate how detailed each scene of the movie is. The story isn't perfect however , even though it's for the most part complex and fun - it drags on at times , one reason being the few action scenes are the worst parts of the movie.

The visuals are frantic and well done , but just can't ever achieve master quality. The Gilliam trademark twisted camera shots are also abundant here and depending on what mood I'm in - is cool or really obnoxious. Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt deliver the best performances of their careers with a lot of thanks to the dialogue. Madeleine Stowe is really good in this as well and never looks out of place in this amazing compilation of acting.

12 Monkeys is the time travel movie and I highly recommend you see it if you haven't yet.

A system of cells interlinked
You continue to improve! Your 12 Monkeys review is well done - it's your best review yet. Glad you liked the flick. 12 Monkeys is one of my favorite science fiction pictures. I love the integration of little bits of info that slowly cause a juxtaposition of the 2 main characters; they trade perspectives in the middle of the film, and start trying to convince one another to follow each other's previous point of view...

Good work!

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace

Whenever I watch a Star Wars movie there is high level of nostalgia in it for me - I grew up watching the special edditions of the original trilogy , but I also grew up watching this in theatres as well (think I saw it about 8 times in the theatre totall). This episode is a great addition to the older films as it is to the gigantic fictional universe as well.

The story is set about 50 years before the original Star Wars (Episode 4) and opens with Qui-Gon-Jin and his jedi apprentice Obi-Wan boarding a Trade Federation ship in means of negotiating the recent military blockade of Naboo. The negotiations don't last very long before the two jedi start slicing their way through a bunch of battle droids : which is where I am instantly hooked to the movie. Like the original star wars films - the movie is focused on themes of morality , but this movie also introduces a new political story line which is where a lot of the important twists take place in the new trilogy.

Visually this movie excells above and beyond any of the six movies and a lot of it rests on the enourmous ammounts of CGI this movie displays. The action scenes are incredible - the pod race and the darth maul duel being some of my favorite parts of the whole series. The Gungan city is also a very cool part of the movie - an underwater city ruled by some sort of amphibious humans. Being a prequel also gives the movie the task of explaining how the characters got to where they were in Episode IV and adds a fun layer to the story.

The Phantom Menace is made in the same spirit of the originals - but uses it's amazing computer animation to create gigantic scenes and exciting fights. It ranks as one of my favorite of the six.

Sin City (3 views)

Frank Millers introduction to the screen is a marvelous one , the atmosphere in this film is violent , disturbing , and corrupt. This movie comes right off the pages of the Sin City books and works even better as a movie.

The thing that jumps out most in this movie is the look. It's primarily in black and white with a few parts of color. The movie is filled to the brim with great CGI that allows the characters to jump down flights of stairs and slice/shoot people up with ease. There isn't a part of the whole thing where you would get bored of the style used here.

The cast is excellent , I didn't see a single person in the whole thing that wasn't perfect for their role. The leads Bruce Willis , Clive Owen , and Micky Rourke get the most time on screen - each of them having their own seperate stories. All the small roles are all played by stars as well - Elijah Wood being as good of cannibal as Rosario Dawson is the leader of the old town hookers.

The three stories told in the movie are each excellent and very original. Each main character narrarates their own part and each of them is in trouble with the corrupt police force. One last thing to point out is the very memorable musical score , that works very well with the multiple layers of audio in the film.

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace

Whenever I watch a Star Wars movie there is high level of nostalgia in it for me - I grew up watching the special edditions of the original trilogy , but I also grew up watching this in theatres as well (think I saw it about 8 times in the theatre totall). This episode is a great addition to the older films as it is to the gigantic fictional universe as well.

The story is set about 50 years before the original Star Wars (Episode 4) and opens with Qui-Gon-Jin and his jedi apprentice Obi-Wan boarding a Trade Federation ship in means of negotiating the recent military blockade of Naboo. The negotiations don't last very long before the two jedi start slicing their way through a bunch of battle droids : which is where I am instantly hooked to the movie. Like the original star wars films - the movie is focused on themes of morality , but this movie also introduces a new political story line which is where a lot of the important twists take place in the new trilogy.

Visually this movie excells above and beyond any of the six movies and a lot of it rests on the enourmous ammounts of CGI this movie displays. The action scenes are incredible - the pod race and the darth maul duel being some of my favorite parts of the whole series. The Gungan city is also a very cool part of the movie - an underwater city ruled by some sort of amphibious humans. Being a prequel also gives the movie the task of explaining how the characters got to where they were in Episode IV and adds a fun layer to the story.

The Phantom Menace is made in the same spirit of the originals - but uses it's amazing computer animation to create gigantic scenes and exciting fights. It ranks as one of my favorite of the six.

Great Ratings. I Too Liked The Phatom Menace. ESB Or RotJ Were My Favorite Of The Series Though.