Sedai, Pyro Tramp and all the others who doubted Christopher Nolan

Tools    

The same as your first crush, they are your faviourite person of all time, brillent, perfect, never be beaten in your eyes.... until the next thing that comes along.

Nolan is the flavor of the month, three good movies is a pretty good start in the favourites game.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry dude I don't have time for your skitzoid activities.

I must admit, I was pretty well chuffed when I read your first post in which you call me a hypocrite. I take it that only after you came in here calling me names, you actually went and read all my posts, as you change your tune a couple posts down. I take it you are getting bored on whatever other board you were haunting?

In a bizarre twist (one that is easier to buy than the silly twist in The Prestige), I fully agree with Meatwadsprite in that this guy hasn't been around long enough, or made enough GREAT films (I count one to date) to be considered a great director.

I love how this clown calls people Lemmings when his favorite director actually makes a great film, and people say it's good.

*Yawn*

Bye!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I, for one, preferred Nolan's Insomnia to Memento. The filmmaking was far-more muscular and less-gimmicky to me. I realize "muscular filmmaking" could be a meaningless phrase, but I use it to denote strong physicality in the presentation of the scenes. I don't know, but Insomnia did have a much-larger budget, so all that in-your-face photography combined with probably Pacino's last great performance got to me. I still think The Dark Knight is his best though, and I've only watched it once.

I'd agree with you there, Mark. Memento was a little too "gimmicky" for me -- I did enjoy it, though. Nolan's Insomnia was not near as good as the original, however.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I certainly liked the original, but I may just be a production-value whore because I liked the remake better (more-musular, ha!). However, I fully recommend the original. I saw that one first, and that's why I was looking forward to Pacino taking a stab.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I dont know this guy but he seems he has a major problem with a few mofoers. If youve been banned why the hell did you come back to be an a-hole. It makes no sense as this site is for decent people who have decent views about movies and its fun here. When I read the part that you were intentionaly giving negative feedback to people because they didnt see eye to eye to you that sucks dude.

Have you thought of a job in politics?

Watch out folks! I once said Memento used a gimmick and I got a severe dressing down! Something about how it wasn't a gimmick, but the most brilliant piece of tricky screen writing blah blah blah.

Yeah, right.

The film is pretty good, I must say. I own a copy, and watch it from time to time, Some great subtle comedy in there, it's shot really well, and for the most part, the performances are good. a gimmick is present, though.

Absolutely, Sedai --

I don't think screen writing should be about how "tricky" or deliberately self-indulgent you can be -- it comes off as the writer being self-conscious.

Another reason I was so impressed with The Dark Knight's screenplay. Nolan exercised restraint that I hadn't seen from him before.

Watch out folks! I once said Memento used a gimmick and I got a severe dressing down! Something about how it wasn't a gimmick, but the most brilliant piece of tricky screen writing blah blah blah.

Yeah, right.

The film is pretty good, I must say. I own a copy, and watch it from time to time, Some great subtle comedy in there, it's shot really well, and for the most part, the performances are good. a gimmick is present, though.
Sedai mate...

Ok, since i'm on my last legs here, i'm gonna keep this as friendly as I possibly can..

Not ONCE did I mention the words 'tricky' and Memento in the same post. I don't think of Memento as being a piece of cinematic 'trickery' and I don't think Christopher Nolan intended on it being so. How can you say it's a gimmick when it's clearly there for a reason? Or do you honestly not see why it's used?

Seriously Sedai, I actually do enjoy a majority of your posts, and you generally seem to have a good understanding as to what constitutes good cinematic material. However, your thoughts on Memento's narrative being gimmicky are seriously thin. What makes it gimmicky?

I've said it time and time again and I don't know how I can make it any clearer to you. This is like the last time i'm going to say it too. In fact, i'm just gonna copy and paste what I said in the 'Christopher Nolan vs David Fincher thread', because that's how tired I am of writing it up every single thread.

Now THAT'S what i'm talking about! A man who understands what i'm saying. Linespalsy knows that other users were just nitpicking just for the sake of trying to prove me wrong. Linespalsy mate , I told the other users about a trillion times that Memento's narrative structure is there to serve a PURPOSE and isn't just some random gimmick. It's there so that the spectator is able to experiene Leonard Shelby's state of confusion and distortion. The result is we not only know what he knows, but we too have to be careful about which of the other protagonists we can trust. Not only is this an ambitious device, it's also well executed and the results are remarkable in my book.

Ta da. Get it yet? I hope so because it's really not that hard to see.

By the way I give The Dark Knight 4 and a half stars because of a few minor problems.

Sorry dude I don't have time for your skitzoid activities.

I must admit, I was pretty well chuffed when I read your first post in which you call me a hypocrite. I take it that only after you came in here calling me names, you actually went and read all my posts, as you change your tune a couple posts down. I take it you are getting bored on whatever other board you were haunting?

In a bizarre twist (one that is easier to buy than the silly twist in The Prestige), I fully agree with Meatwadsprite in that this guy hasn't been around long enough, or made enough GREAT films (I count one to date) to be considered a great director.

I love how this clown calls people Lemmings when his favorite director actually makes a great film, and people say it's good.

*Yawn*

Bye!
First of all, don't call me names. I don't appreciate it, yeah? Like you said, I did change my tune after I properly read your posts.

Secondly, I think Terrence Malick has made even less films than Nolan. Maybe he shouldn't be considered great either?

In regards to somebody's post about Insomnia, i'm in a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, it's a very good twist on the film noir concept. A 'film blanc' if you will that actually works very well. However, by Nolan standards, it's not very ambitious and feels like a considerably smaller movie than Memento .

I think if this film wasn't directed by Nolan, i'd have rated it higher than I already have. So in many ways, i'm a lot harder on Nolan than most people would be, because i'm fully aware of his
capabilities.

Also, it feels really unfair to call Insomnia Nolan's weakest film because it's not weak at all, and I loved Nolan's usual skill in setting a very appropriate tone to the film.

Lets put a smile on that block
"Don't...say...Christopher Nolan isnt a...genius. You...wouldnt like me...when you...say...that"

Call you names? I didn't.

Thanks.

I was talking about activities, not a person, yes?

Anyway, does it matter? Let's agree to disagree on this one. I don't think Nolan sucks, and I never have, I just can't hold his entire body of work as highly as you do.

I haven't seen Insomnia.

I, for one, preferred Nolan's Insomnia to Memento. The filmmaking was far-more muscular and less-gimmicky to me. I realize "muscular filmmaking" could be a meaningless phrase, but I use it to denote strong physicality in the presentation of the scenes. I don't know, but Insomnia did have a much-larger budget, so all that in-your-face photography combined with probably Pacino's last great performance got to me. I still think The Dark Knight is his best though, and I've only watched it once.
So what was wrong with the presentation of Memento's scenes? Everything from shot compositions, lighting, performances, and especially editing is done to it's fullest capacity in Memento. That is why I call it a masterpiece. It also gets extra points for beng daring, ambitious and generally quite disturbing in it's tone and especially it's revelation. I was exhausted after watch it, and not because of it's 'gimmick' but simply because the film executes everything I love about cinema, and every single image that passed through left me feeling tones of emotions that I had'nt experienced in a film before...and I wasn't the only one.

Pulp Fiction, as good as it is, uses a gimmick. There really isn't any need for it. What was Tarantino trying to accomplish by rearranging such scenes? Nobody says anything about that, yet most of you MoFoers have it on your favourite movie lists!?!

Even Dody Dorn, a highly regarded editor, said she didn't understand why Tarantino used fractured narrative but could easily see why Nolan used it on Memento.

Jokers, I swear down.

Call you names? I didn't.

Thanks.

I was talking about activities, not a person, yes?

Anyway, does it matter? Let's agree to disagree on this one. I don't think Nolan sucks, and I never have, I just can't hold his entire body of work as highly as you do.

I haven't seen Insomnia.
Erm, your first post in this thread had you call me a clown, mate.

Anyways, you're right, you have your thoughts on our Nolan and I have mine.

Insomnia's a solid piece of work, but not a masterpiece at all.

Ah, fair enough. Sorry about the clown shot. My bad. A low blow, for sure. (I was a bit hacked off at the time).

Let's put it all behind us, yes?

Word has it, you will be sticking around for a bit...

Bygones be bygones...as they say.

Welcome back!

Yeah mate, i'd like to bury the hatchet with a lot of people in here, including yourself .

And yes, i'm back for good this time and, believe it or not, i'm a lot more maturer than I used be.

Thanks for the welcome back!

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Nolan's auteur signatures are in this film, too. The man can't do no wrong. He just TELLS the story too, and only gets all flash with the cameras when it's necessary.
Are you familiar with the term "show, don't tell"? I'll agree that The Dark Knight was a good film, but Nolan does very little 'telling', as he should do. To tell the story rather than show it is generally considered a mistake, in any art form.