Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This will tell you how underqualified I am to discuss Kevin Smith: I've watched all his films, except for Mallrats which was thoroughly bombed by the critics who loved Clerks, and Clerks II because I thought Clerks showed me more than I needed to know about the Clerks universe. I imagine at some point, I'll watch them both, as long as I don't realize that I'm paying money.

Even so, I'm happy for anybody who loves anything. After all, Elmer Gantry is one of the two films I'd give an imperfect 10 (no perfect 10s for me ).

I love the movie HEATHERS. Its awesome and definitely one of the best films of all time. Christian Slater, Shannon Doherty, Winona Ryder all at the begining of their historic careers. I must watch that DVD at least once a week

I also love the movie Just Add Water. It relatively new but still a great film. Its one of those character study films where the main character has a moment of clarity and changes their life. This movie is no exception but takes it in another direction. Definitely one of the better films of the last few years. Seth Rogen is hilarious, i never saw it in the theater but I'm not sure if it was straight to DVD.

I always though that "frequency" was an all around fun/good movie that no one seems to have seen.

Here are a few of mine: -

Martin
- George A. Romero 1978. Not so much underrated as overlooked, genuinely unsettling, one of the best (and most intelligent) horror/vampire films ever made in my opinion, and Romero's best film.

Used Cars - Robert Zemeckis 1980. Sadly forgotten due to its untimely release on the same weekend as Airplane!, this is a hilarious bad taste comedy (Kurt Russell is brilliant), I've seen it over a dozen times and still laugh, one of my favourite films.

To Live and Die In L.A. - William Friedkin 1985. A brief return to form for Friedkin, this is a decent sleazy thriller about counterfeiting, William Petersen at his coolest, William Dafoe makes a great villain, brilliant story turns, oh and that car chase.

Event Horizon - Paul Anderson 1997. Dismissed as just another Alien clone, this film gets better with each passing year. Solid performances all round, excellent set design, and some genuine scares along the way. Think Hellraiser in space.

Ms. 45 aka Angel of Vengeance - Abel Ferrara 1981. Really dark story about a nun raped twice in one night who turns vigilante. Brilliantly shot, has a great raw New York feel, very violent though. Ferrara's best in my opinion. The Brave One? Ms. 45 was there first.

Society - Brian Yuzna 1989. Great horror satirizing rich American upper classes. Blackly funny, sporting the most bizarre makeup effects since The Thing.

There's loads more, but the above stand out for me.

You Talkin' To Me?
I 'll go with Fear & Loathing as well. I also think Millr's Crossing is underrated. Seeing that it's very well acted, and most of the people I've talked to haven't even sen it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think Leon has be underrated as not many people have seen it and its amazing film. It is a shame people havent seen it as it is a great film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But the people who have seen it rave about it. It's on the top 250 on IMDB. Has more then one edition out on DVD.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I honestly find Club Dread to be underrated. The broken Lizard team seem to not have a big following in the first place, but for some reason people really trash this film. I found myself laughing more during Club Dread, then Supertroopers. If at the end of the movie you are saying to yourself "The killer came back too many times" then you simple did not "get it".

The Quest. Jean Claude Van Damme's directorial debut. sure he over uses slow motion in almost every scene...even when it is just people looking in certain directions and the fight sequences aren't as long as they could have been, but this film is one of his best. It tends to drip more towards a guilty pleasure, but I still find it to be a competent film.

Searching For Bobby Fischer, who knew a movie about a boy and chess could be so entertaining. Great performances and characters you care about, it was touching and yet no one knows it exists or thinks it sucks.

Bringing Out The Dead,
sure there is no plot, but there is a story. Nic Cage gives a great performances and all the supporting actors play their parts. One of, if not THE most underrated Scorsese film.

Darkman, Way before Raimi did Spiderman, he did Darkman. All his trademarks are in this film and yet it seems to go unmentioned. I would take this over Spiderman 3 any day.

The People VS Larry Flynt. Does Courtney Love simply play herself in this film? Regardless, it is a good performances, as is Nortons and Harrelson's. It is recognized as a good film, but it is a great film.

Joyride. Before Paul Walker got annoying. This is a white knuckle thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Yet it seems to get lost with the rest of the teen thrillers.

Final Destination. Yes the sequels suck, but the original was a great concept and executed very well.

Galaxy Quest. Before Sam Rockwell was well known, he played "guy" the hilarious extra from episode 92 (i think). Plot holes everywhere, yes, but entertaining.

Bringing Out The Dead, sure there is no plot, but there is a story. Nic Cage gives a great performances and all the supporting actors play their parts. One of, if not THE most underrated Scorsese film.

The People VS Larry Flynt. Does Courtney Love simply play herself in this film? Regardless, it is a good performances, as is Nortons and Harrelson's. It is recognized as a good film, but it is a great film.

Final Destination. Yes the sequels suck, but the original was a great concept and executed very well.
I always thought the People vs Larry Flynt & Final Destination were well received… Courtney got a Golden Globe Nod and Final Destination did well enough to spawn two sequels… Yeah there was something underrated about Bringing Out The Dead, if not just for its great portrayal of disillusioned and over worked medical professionals and the insanity of late night downtown New York.

For me they’re so many underrated movies floating around. I think this is more about great films which were never promoted and became forgotten rather than one which were released and critically panned for example, Prozac Nation… which may be not a great film but surely it deserved an audience.

A good example would be last years Snow Cake. Such an awesome film and so well written. It featured Sigourney Weaver playing an autistic lady and challenged the understandings of disability in a very real and refreshing way. The other great thing about it was this wasn’t the “sensation” of the film as it had plot developments around a number of other different characters.

In terms of underrated films which were big critical failures I’d have to say Mommy Dearest. It won the Golden Razzie for worst picture of the decade but I still think it’s great. Faye Dunaway is terrifying as Joan Crawford and the intensity of the film …. erm was intense! Maybe it’s turned into a bit of a camp classic but I definitely don’t think it was a film. In fact I thought it was rather good… Ok ok ok, maybe the script was hammy, the dialogue from a pantomime and bore no resemblance to true events but god all mighty I can never look at a wire coat hanger again.

The Prestige is underrated
I thought it was quite clever too. I love Beauty and The Beast- that's a brilliant film!
And I like Another Country

EDIT: Which no one else seems to have watched

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World- Sure, it got nominated for Best Picture, but I remember LOTS of people hating this movie, especially some critics. Personally I think this movie is the best old age sailing epic Hollywood will ever create: it has everything, beautiful scenery, magnificent music, intense battle scenes, and historical accuarcy (which is always a nice touch for movies). I think this movie deserves a lot more than it gets.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
My favourite movie ever...Noriko's Dinner Table which is the prequel/sequel to the j-horror, cult-hit Suicide Club. For some reason, despite the popularity of it's predecessor and the fact that it played at something like 30 international film festivals, this film gets no recognition and it's a shame. Also, I may be alone on this one but, I really liked Four Rooms.