Akira

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Warner Brothers has purchased the rights to the groundbreaking Anime movie to make it into a live-action film.

No real word on director/cast or any of that as of yet.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Well, it could be really good, or it could be frighteningly bad...we'll just have to see.

//i think this is the next comic book movie, the anime. Nija Scroll and Dragonball Z have also been purchased
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Stephen Norrington is the director, he also did Blade 1.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I think a live action movie would be totally ridiculous - I've seen a little anime, including Akira a couple of times, and I don't think the strength lies in the plot - although they aren't always too bad - it's usually the fluid Japanese Animation that I can't keep my eyes off - which, of course, is totally lost in live action

Originally posted by Nate Anderson
Well, it could be really good, or it could be frighteningly bad...we'll just have to see.
I'm putting my money on frighteningly bad, but I guess we'll see.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Marcellus
I think a live action movie would be totally ridiculous - I've seen a little anime, including Akira a couple of times, and I don't think the strength lies in the plot - although they aren't always too bad - it's usually the fluid Japanese Animation that I can't keep my eyes off - which, of course, is totally lost in live action
Well see, that's the thing, some action movies have zero plot, but yet keep you interested with all the action. Guess we'll find out. Me, I'll wait til it's a renter, if it makes it that far.

RPG Man
live action Akira is going to blow big time. i loved the anime, but hated the re-make, it was so crappy. take a look at some screenshots of a fan made trailer....look at how much it would suck....nice bike tho. www.arcadian.tv/akira/stills.html
the only thing that they did good here was tetsuo and the bike. The rest sucked massive ammounts of donkey balls. Too many white people.

RPG Man
oh yeah, too bad the bike is actually this little toy that i have sitting above my moniter....some of you peole might have it was well.

The problem with a dbz movie is that it's supposed to be a saga, an epic. How will they get a story like that into a 2 hour movie??
KO

I am having a nervous breakdance
Wow, a Kurosawa biopic!!! Cool!!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Hi
The ending scene would have to be completely CGI'd and look incredibly strange. I think anime could do it, but making that thing look real is ridiculous. I bet it will also have to be completely "Americanized" in terms of giving complete explanations on all aspects of the plot.

On the Dragonball Z movie, an official site (www.dragonballz.com) set up a poll asking fans on suggestions for actors to play characters from the series. Now these "fans" somehow managed to pick Jackie Chan (who was dramatically more successful with comedic roles rather than serious ones) to play Vegeta, one of the only stern unfunny characters.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Tuna
The ending scene would have to be completely CGI'd and look incredibly strange. I think anime could do it, but making that thing look real is ridiculous. I bet it will also have to be completely "Americanized" in terms of giving complete explanations on all aspects of the plot.

On the Dragonball Z movie, an official site (www.dragonballz.com) set up a poll asking fans on suggestions for actors to play characters from the series. Now these "fans" somehow managed to pick Jackie Chan (who was dramatically more successful with comedic roles rather than serious ones) to play Vegeta, one of the only stern unfunny characters.

I think I would prefer to see someone like, Jet Li or Chow Yun Fat play Vegeta (my fave character) and let Kackie Chan(if he has to be in it) play Goku or something. I would also like to see Mark Dacascos (The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, Brotherhood of the Wolf) in a movie like this.

BTW - I think DBZ would work better as a film then Akira, except the fact that it has suck a long ongoing dramatic story...it would be hard to make a good 2 hour movie. But I think someone already mentioned this.
- Corey Taylor (2002)