The Dark Knight (possible spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, just got back from the midnight showing. My review is in my thread, but I'll post it here as well, so people can discuss.

BTW- Loved The Watchmen trailer.

edit - currently number 4 on imdb top 250.

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Breaks Comic Book Adaptation Barriers

A new villain is in town and he's a homicidal clown known as The Joker. Batman must do everything in his power to stop him, while Harvey Dent takes the lime light as the new face of good.

Not since The Matrix Reloaded have I been hyped to see a film. Where Reloaded failed to deliver on that hype, The Dark Knight soars with bright colours. Is it everything that a Batman fan wants it to be? Yes. Is it everything a film lover wants it to be? Yes. The Dark Knight takes you on a ride through action, suspense, humour and drama. It rests in a genre that makes you suspend a little reality. This is the comic book world, where there are green monsters, flying men in tights and teenagers swinging around in New York. Very bright, very over the top and very fun. The Dark Knight turns all of this on it's head and delivers a raw, realistic and genre defining film. Along with Iron Man, The Dark Knight sets a new standard for comic book adaptations.

Without a doubt, every review the one will read will praise the chaotic energy that Heath Ledger gives in the role of The Joker. Can a role really live up to such hype? Yes, and this is it. Heath Ledger goes where many people do not. He becomes the character, he becomes the Joker. Nicholson played the part well, but Ledger embodies it. Every little quirk, from the flicker in the eyes, raising the eyebrows or using his tongue to wet his lips, draws you into the character. It's safe to say the Ledger does indeed steal the show from everyone and the film knows this too. It's a shame we will never see where Ledger career would have gone, because this role is juicy and Ledger nails it.

That's not to say that everyone else isn't good either. Bale brings more tragedy into the heart of both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Even with the world around him crumbling down, he still stands for good. Michael Cain reaches more depths with simple looks in his eyes. Both Alfred and Fox have moral dilemmas in this film, both play them well. Oldman has more screen time here then he did in Begins and he takes the character of Gordon to new heights. We know him as a good cop that doesn't conform to the corruption, but here his range explodes into more emotional decision making. Aaron Eckhart has the most troubling task here. He must play two completely different roles, within the same character, and we have to believe the transformation. His anger and hate mixes well with his confusion in what to do after his 'accident'. Finally Gyllenhaal, replaces Holmes. The character finally has some more range, but Gyllenhaal doesn't get enough screen time to bring it to us. Again, it's sad to say but this is the weakest link. It may just simply be the character.

Everything about this film hits the nail on the head. The acting is top notch, no longer are roles in comic book films cheesy or one dimensional. These character are psychotic, dangerous, funny, defenseless and everything more you can ask for. Back when these characters could never be taken seriously, now are awing us with their presence. The script is fabulous. Every line of dialogue spoken by The Joker is chilling, now times that by ten because Ledger somehow gives the lines more chills. The action sequences are entertaining. We have car chases, fight scenes, race against the clock bits and anything else The Joker can come up with. With ever scheme he tops himself in the absurdity and craziness. More action then it's predecessor, more drama, more villainous and more dark. This isn't your Adam West Batman. This is Nolan's Batman.

Nolan has recreated what once was lost. When nipples and bad ice puns were where these characters were, now are set back in the right motion. Nolan has given us, not only the best Batman movie, but the best comic book movie. You don't need high theatrics to create a great comic book film, you need substance. The Dark Knight has boatloads of this. I found myself wanting more of the Joker, I was so enthralled by the character and the performance. I found myself in awe of where the film goes, in terms of plot and character development. I applaud Nolan for not making a happy go lucky film, but for given The Dark Knight his true colours. He's a tormented soul, the events in this film push him to the limit, to his breaking point.

There are some minor setbacks though. I wasn't too thrilled with the bits in Hong Kong. Trims here and there could have saved the running time, which clocks in at 2 hours and 30 some odd minutes. As well as too many scene where the camera decides to spin around the characters a couple times, it gets a tad annoying.

The Dark Knight will break barriers. Comic book films will be more serious, more character and plot driven then CGI laden. Heath Ledger will earn an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a sick and twisted clown. People will want to see what happens in this world and the people in it. The Dark Knight does create a new world, a world of fear and excitement. Where in some cases you kind of secretly want to root for the bad guy. This is a world I applaud, this is a film that I applaud. This is a perfect example of what a film should be.

Suspect's Reviews

You're a Genius all the time
Yeah, and I think I loved it twice as much as you did. I totally disagree with that last bit you wrote about rooting for the bad guy, though. I think it's a testament to both Ledger and Nolan that while I enjoyed the hell out of Heath's performance, I didn't once root for The Joker in this movie. I also love the fact that even though this is a flippin summer superhero flick, Nolan still made me feel like all bets were off and in the end The Joker really could win and Batman could fail. I don't remember ever feeling that way about a superhero movie. Thinking that there was a legitimate chance that evil and chaos would triumph over good and righteousness. Batman Begins didn't make me feel that way. But this movie did.

"I'm going to make this pencil... disappear."

Did everybody stay all the way through the credits? If not, I'll fill you in...

Batman arrives back at the penthouse to have Alfred tell him, "We have guests". Pull back to a reveal of Brandon Routh's Superman and Adrian Grenier's Aquaman who calmly say, "Sit down, Bruce. We'd like to tell you about the Justice League initiative." Cut to black.

Bitchin'!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Did everybody stay all the way through the credits? If not, I'll fill you in...

Batman arrives back at the penthouse to have Alfred tell him, "We have guests". Pull back to a reveal of Brandon Routh's Superman and Adrian Grenier's Aquaman who calmly say, "Sit down, Bruce. We'd like to tell you about the Justice League initiative." Cut to black.

Bitchin'!
FOOK! This is what I get for not staying to the end.

Anyway, I think everyone already knows what I think. I also love the pencil scene, probably my personal favourite part.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im really looking forward to see this film, it looks stunning

A system of cells interlinked
Since Grenier's Aquaman was a character in Entourage, I have a feeling Holden is having a little fun...

Bet Holden's laughing. I highly doubt the film would undermine itself with a tacked on, cash-in on Iron Man's ending.

Welcome to the human race...
Since Grenier's Aquaman was a character in Entourage, I have a feeling Holden is having a little fun...
Have to admit, that did throw me a bit.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Yeah...I stayed through the credits only to see if they'd give us a new villain, but nothing.

Anyway, fantastic! Dark, disturbing and heavily layered for a comic book film. Editing is the only real complaint I have. That and Nolan's sweeping 360 degree shots that he used 80 times.

And Ledger is as brilliant as everyone has said. Stunning performance.

Loved this.

10/10

Holds...did you like it?

A system of cells interlinked
Hmmm, I was watching Begins last night, and I was hoping they cleaned up the fighting scenes, perhaps pulling the camera back a bit. I take it we get more of the same?

Hmmm, I was watching Begins last night, and I was hoping they cleaned up the fighting scenes, perhaps pulling the camera back a bit. I take it we get more of the same?
They have some clips of the action scenes online - it's about 100 times better than the super dark close in chaos of the very few action scenes in batman begins.

You're a Genius all the time
There are definitely points in The Dark Knight when it becomes a little difficult to follow all the action. It never gets too distracting, but it is something that you'll probably notice. I didn't fully understand everything that happened during the show stopping underground truck chase and that's kind of a bummer. Compared to the great tumbler rooftop getaway in Batman Begins, it was kind of let down. Still pretty cool, though. And while Nolan seemed to rely a little more heavily on CGI than in Batman Begins, he doesn't go George-Lucas-style-crazy with it (which is a major relief).

Im really looking forward to see this film, it looks stunning
Me, too. I might be going to see it tonight, but it may be next week, who knows. I just can't wait to see it -- thats for sure... The Dark Knight looks truly incredible...