Music in Film

Tools    

Great theme songs and movies with the best musical scores and sound tracks:

I recently saw Ghost World and fell in love with the song that played in the opening of the movie. The song is by Mohammed Rafi and is called Jaan Pehechaan Ho. I also love the sound tracks and scores from Memento and Requiem for a Dream.

Unbreakable and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring contain two of my favorite scores of all time. And flicks like E.T. and the first Star Wars are a given, naturally. the LOTR: FOTR score is probably my favorite of all-time, though. I've heard it dozens of times. Good stuff.

Of course, O Brother is great, but about 5 years ago, I watched a sleeper called The Grave that also had a terrific bluegrass soundtrack. I suggest anyone who liked 'O Brother' rent 'The Grave.' It's a good movie on it's own, too, very dark, about escaped convicts trying to dig up a treasure buried in a millionnaire's grave.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Unbreakable, yes
O Brother, Where Art Thou?,yes
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, yes
Spider-Man, yes
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Unbreakable the part of the score were he has vision in the train station I think it is ROCKS

Elmer Bernstien's Magnificent Seven
The Dust Brother's Fight Club
Color of Money Soundtrack
wojciech kilar score for The Ninth Gate

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Aimee Mann on Magnolia.

The Man Who Wasn't There also has some nice classical pieces

I loved the score for Requiem for a Dream. But probably my favorite soundtrack is the Demon Night soundtrack. Now that's great stuff. Escape from LA was good too. Beavis and Butthead do America...hhmm...and a guilty pleasure of mine is listening to the Streets of Fire soundtrack. That corny 80's just does something for me.

Now With Moveable Parts
I swear I had a soundtrack thread awhile back...hardly anyone posted on it.

I don't feel like reposting my faves.

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit
I loved the score for Requiem for a Dream.
YAY! HOORAH! YAY! Excellent pick.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I swear I had a soundtrack thread awhile back...hardly anyone posted on it.
Why would anyone want to post messages on a thread started by lil' miss closed-minded anyway?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mystery Man

Why would anyone want to post messages on a thread started by lil' miss closed-minded anyway?
You've officially made my Black List. Congrats.

I propose a toast!

*to the best little friend maker this site has ever seen in a long time; may all your posts reek of sarcasm*

Cheers.

my top ten
1. Requiem
2. Jurassic Park
3. Star Wars
4. O Brother
5. American Beauty
6. ET
7. Mememto
8 The Virgin Suicides
9. 2001
10. Fight Club
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Excellent list, mercurdius. I'm hard-pressed to squabble over any of those; except for maybe Jurassic Park. But, to tell the truth I don't remember the soundtrack all that well. And I haven't seen The Virgin Suicides. Otherwise, looks great to me!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
You've officially made my Black List. Congrats.

I propose a toast!

*to the best little friend maker this site has ever seen in a long time; may all your posts reek of sarcasm*

Cheers.
Awe, Sades... I was just funnin' witcha! I thought that the - - emoticon that i used indicated that.

Would it change anything if I said you have the sexiest avatar that I've ever seen?

Oh. Mystery Man, it's very hard to get on the good side of Sades after getting on the dreaded "black list".

Try posting unattractive pictures of Julia Roberts and knocking some of her movies. That should do the trick. And diss surrealism in films, she doesn't seem to like that either.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mystery Man
Awe, Sades... I was just funnin' witcha! I thought that the - - emoticon that i used indicated that.

Would it change anything if I said you have the sexiest avatar that I've ever seen?
Yes. I think that might help...but only a little.

Big Val...I think you just said the "J" word. Bad Boy. See me after class.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Eyes Wide Shut

The Last of the Mohicans--beautiful stuff.

Pulp Fiction--surfer music galore.

And this is a really sh*tty flick, but Glory Daze--the Vandals (a great punk band) did the music, and it rocks the house.

And who can forget the synthesized mood music of John Carpenter?

Yep, those first two were X. Mohicans had that stirring violin piece as they chased along the cliffs.
Why has no one mentioned Gladiator? I mean that score had to be one of the great classical pieces to come from film for a number of years. Dances with Wolves is a goodie too.
I enjoyed Thomas Crown affair too, that is the recent remake as opposed to the old one. Love that Nina Simone!!!
Proverbs 20:30

Originally posted by Marcellus
Eyes Wide Shut
I'm sure you're thinking of the music of Gyorgy Ligeti. Superb stuff. Ligeti was also used in The Shining, and 2001.

I'll accept anything Kubrick. The man really knew what he was doing with music in his films.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Yep, out of the two Kubrick movies I've seen - Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange, both scores have been fantastic