Quickie about fight club

Tools    

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Did a quick search didn't find anything, sorry if answered before...

WARNING: "Fight Club" spoilers below
Right, the building that Norton and Pitt are in at the beginning (flash back) and at the end, did not explode.

Why not?

On my first 30 odd viewings I thought it was because Norton disconnected the bomb, but then I just noticed while casually flicking through channels tonight that Tyler then knocks Norton out of the van and reconnects the bomb! the timer starts ticking again and off they go to frolock about in the car park.

Norton then wakes up blah blah blah buildings boom but not the one he and Marla are in.

Why?

I can't find an explanation.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Hmmm, are you sure that's what you saw? Maybe I spent the whole day thinking of that scenario just so you would choose the wrong one.

It's a bizarre movie so maybe what you think happens, really doesn't.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

if you read the book its more obviou, not sure about the movie.

WARNING: " Fight Club" spoilers below
Tyler used paraffin, it never worked for Jack

in the movie i thought he
WARNING: " bomb" spoilers below
defused it
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

It's true that
The narrator defused the bomb.

But I just flipped it on and hit that particular part, and from what I could see,

WARNING: "What Tyler Did" spoilers below
Tyler did NOT reconnect the bomb.

Or,

WARNING: "More Tyler" spoilers below
if he DID reconnect the bomb, he did it faster than the eye could see.

And, if you think about it,

WARNING: "A Physical Impossibility" spoilers below
he COULDN't have reconnected the bomb....because the narrator disconnect the bomb, got "hit" and rolled out the back of the van, slammed the doors, locked them and threw away the key, then brandished a pistol and shot the van. He would have had to go back into the van to reconnect the bomb, and we didn't see that happening.

I'm such a lazy @ss I was waiting for some one to say all that great job Sullivan.

When he see's Tyler come out of the van it's a figment of his imagination.

Isn't it obvious that they weren't in the same building? Tyler says "I have a great place for us to watch from", I thought that was the case.

Well, when Tyler says "I've got a great place for us to watch from",

WARNING: "The Gospel According To Tyler" spoilers below
that's a figment of the narrator's imagination, too.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
he does do it, i'm going to take vid caps to show you exactly where and when

Guy
If I remember correctly, in the beginning narrative, when Norton talks about the buildings ready to explode the camera goes down the building into the parking area and the same white truck is there with a timer still ticking.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Maybe it was a bad bomb...some bombs fizzle before exploding.

Of course, this is Fight Club we're talking about here, so that probably didn't happen.

Tyler used paraffin, it never worked for Jack

So, doesn't matter if he reconnected it or not.

Are you guys sure it doesnt go off and we just dont see it? I mean before the 'penis shot' there is a certain flash of a different sort (light) across the screen and that might entail the explosion that we dont see because suddenly our lead characters are wafer thin and watery etc....
just a thought, i havent seen it in a while...
Proverbs 20:30

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
nah man, the book explanation is the right answer, but it's still pissing me off big time, how is someone meant to understand that from the film.

you idiots, havent you noticed that the book is very different from the film? the book and the film have two different endings.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
errr yeah we have noticed, but we're not talking about the different endings here, you idiot, i'm trying to find out why the building they were in did not explode at the end with the rest, and as the film hasn't explained it we're taking the logical step of going back to the source of the film, the book.

Ya ever notice how in the end before the bombs go off if you look at the windows of the buildings there are several lights on. I thought Tyler said the buildings are completely empty. Wazzup wit dat?

maybe they went to another building or one of his henchmen drove the van to another building