Best and Worst DVD Cover Art

Tools    

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
If the movie looks like that, I'd want to see it.
It actually looks better than that. Malick's Days of Heaven is easily one of the most beautifully photographed films ever made.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lets put a smile on that block

The answer is twofold...
I always wondered that my self, thanks for clearing it up!
It actually looks better than that. Malick's Days of Heaven is easily one of the most beautifully photographed films ever made.
I now very badly want to see this film.

This one I hate most of all.... the original movie poster for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2 (left).... which is making fun of the movie poster for The Breakfast Club (right)....

Hilarious. But here's the DVD cover art for the GRUESOME edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2....

Creating such pathetic, godawful DVD covers should be illegal.

SOLD!

I'm adding it to my list which already has A Woman Under The Influence which no one seems to carry. Effers'.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
I'm adding it to my list which already has A Woman Under The Influence which no one seems to carry. Effers'.

Don't know where you live in Portland, Pimpy, but Movie Madness over on SE Belmont definitely has multiple copies of it. And if you have a library card you can reserve the entire Criterion Collection five-film eight-disc set (they have it cataloged as "John Cassavetes Five Films") which you can reserve on their website HERE. There are only two holds right now on their eleven copies of the set, so I'll bet you could have it at your nearest library in a week or so and then you've got those discs for about three weeks. The Criterion version is definitely the one to rent, check out or buy. The Multnomah County Library system doesn't have the Criterion edition of Days of Heaven, though they do have the previous Paramount disc. And Movie Madness definitely has the Criterion Days of Heaven.

Don't know where you live in Portland, Pimpy, but Movie Madness over on SE Belmont definitely has multiple copies of it. And if you have a library card you can reserve the entire Criterion Collection five-film eight-disc set (they have it cataloged as "John Cassavetes Five Films") which you can reserve on their website HERE. There are only two holds right now on their eleven copies of the set, so I'll bet you could have it at your nearest library in a week or so and then you've got those discs for about three weeks. The Criterion version is definitely the one to rent, check out or buy. The Multnomah County Library system doesn't have the Criterion edition of Days of Heaven, though they do have the previous Paramount disc. And Movie Madness definitely has the Criterion Days of Heaven.

Movie Madness isn't that far away and I've got a membership there, but I've only used it a few times. I'm waiting for a couple more "hard-to-find/rent" movies to add to my list before I go there.

Thanks for the heads up on the library system too. I think I have some late fees. Probably Goosebumps from back in the day.

PS:
Nice layout of the covers and stills.

The King of Movies
This one I hate most of all.... the original movie poster for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2 (left).... which is making fun of the movie poster for The Breakfast Club (right)....

Hilarious. But here's the DVD cover art for the GRUESOME edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2....

Creating such pathetic, godawful DVD covers should be illegal.
Are you joking? The DVD cover is awesome!!!! The orginal movie poster looks like some kind of add for a transexual strip club.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the DVD case for the "Ulitimate Rambo Collection" but the only plroblem ive got with it is, it doest say what it is on the side of the boxset. Its a very nice boxset and you can tell what it is just when its in my cabinet YOU CANT SEE THE NAME that is the only thing wrong with it lol

I have to say I was very dissapointed with the DVD for Zodiac 2 disc edition. I was really hoping for a slip cover...i know it is supposed to look like an envelope, but...they could have made it like the Momento case or something...

I'm a big fan of Mizoguchi and this DVD release made me very happy -- plus, the cover is absolutely beautiful.

Another great cover to accompany a great film

I adore this box set -- it is without a doubt, my favorite.

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Worst: The standard DVD cover art for Ichi the Killer. Not necessarily bad, but a let-down for me. They could have done much better... as it is it doesn't really imply much about the movie, and it's not a particularly unique shot.

OK, here's something else I hate: not only do they change from the movie poster art for the DVD box, but they intentionally try and make it look like the existing cover to another movie. Such as...

The poster for the Al Pacino would-be-thriller 88 Minutes was nothing special, but for the DVD they clearly went for the Matt Damon thing. I guess subconsciously you're supposed to think it's The Bourne Retirement?

The poster to Cronenberg's Eastern Promises was pretty damn cool, with the heavily tattooed hands against black. That image was shrunken and hidden among a bunch of boxes for the DVD release. Woody Allen's Cassandra's Dream also had a mostly black poster, and it was scrapped in favor of a very similar box configuration. Remember that scene in the movie where a completely naked and heavily tattooed Woody Allen has a knife fight with Alan Alda's goons in the steambath because he wouldn't kill Scarlett Johansson and the baby? Eastern Dream? Cassandra's Promises?

I mean, it's better than floating heads...but not much better.

The DVD cover art for The Last Seduction is fantastic and done in true noir fashion. The fact that it's just her on the cover with the cigerette in her mouth emphasis the film's title even more. This IS the definitive seduction. Iconic stuff.

The King of Movies
When it comes to DVD cover art im more of a straight-in your face syle cover art type guy.

I like ones with just one photo and no extra bits. DVD covers like Ichi the Killer grab your attention alot more than ones like the Bourne Supremecy.

As for my worst. I hate the Thirteen Ghosts poster. It just looks so repulsive. I can't even show an image. It's nasty.

I was hoping that they'd be brave and go with this poster for The Dark Knight upcoming DVD.

Beauty personified. It's a shame they went for the more generic Michael Bay inspired poster. It's the one with the motorbike crashing through a window that looks three stories high...despite the fact that Batman never crashed through a window that was three stories high..

Welcome to the human race...
Beauty personified. It's a shame they went for the more generic Michael Bay inspired poster. It's the one with the motorbike crashing through a window that looks three stories high...despite the fact that Batman never crashed through a window that was three stories high..
Ergh. I winced at the thought of something that poor actually making it onto the DVD cover. None of the other posters on offer were good enough? I find that hard to believe.

Ergh. I winced at the thought of something that poor actually making it onto the DVD cover. None of the other posters on offer were good enough? I find that hard to believe.
I know. I just hope that there are alternate DVD covers in the future.