Geek Speak

Tools    

Glad to hear it's fixed...you're beyond me with this DBA stuff, though. I'm a scripting guy for the most part...though I want to head into more DBA-style work, seeing as how it's easier once you've mastered it, and tends to pay better, from what I understand.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
seeing as how it's easier once you've mastered it
Yup! even a dummy like me can understand it!

Just realize that the pitfalls are plentiful, I fall in to one every day. You must set everything up in the beginning with a clear plan on how it's going to work in the end or you're dead.

Guys
I am a software oriented person versus a hardware oriented person. I just started the A+ course but am no where near enough completion to figure out my current dilemma...

My computer intermittently recognizes my cd-rom drive. By that I mean that sometimes when I boot it sees it and sometimes when I boot it doesn't see it. When the pc sees the cd-rom drive, it works perfectly so I don't think it's the drive. I've reloaded the drivers etc to no avail. On the boot sequence it shows up as the correct letter... what gives? Any ideas?

Is the problem still occuring, Toose?

You want more geekspeak, there's a book for hackers @ my aunt's bookstore & it's free if you want it. Sum is dum but alot is major gs. if u want the adrs http://www.freelookbookstore.come

Love,
Jozie

Thanks guys... got it solved. I had a bad CD burner. It was powering up, no device conflicts, no boot errors etc. Didn't know it till I tried to use it. Finally I took it out and the computer works great again. That's what I get for buying the cheapest burner I could find. I'm going USB next time.

TWT

You wanted to see some working SQL...
Here's a portion of what I wrote yesterday... selects data, and manipulates it every which way... update queries today

SELECT QryMasterData.bl_id, QryMasterData.AFM_bl.name, QryMasterData.fl_id, QryMasterData.rm_id, QryMasterData.area, QryMasterData.count_em, QryMasterData.rm_cat, QryMasterData.rm_type, IIf([count_em]>1,[count_em],0) AS [Emp Count>1], [count_em]-[Emp Count>1] AS [Emp Count=1], IIf([rm_type]="FUL",1,0) AS [ADM FUL Count], IIf([rm_type]="OFF",1,0) AS [ADM OFF Count], [ADM FUL Count]+[ADM OFF Count] AS [Total FUL & OFF], IIf([Total FUL & OFF]>0,[count_em],0) AS [FUL & OFF only Emp Count], IIf([Total FUL & OFF]>0,[Emp Count>1],0) AS [FuL & OFF only Emp Count>1], IIf([FUL & OFF only Emp Count>1]>0,1,0) AS [DO FUL & OFF Count], IIf([Total FUL & OFF]>0,[area_uplifted],0) AS [FUL & OFF only Uplift SF], IIf([rm_cat]="LAB",1,0) AS [LAB Count], IIf([LAB Count]>0,[area_uplifted],0) AS [LAB Uplift SF], IIf([rm_cat]<>"LAB",1,0) AS [Admin Non Lab Count], IIf([Admin Non Lab Count]>0,[area_uplifted],0) AS [Admin Non Lab Uplift SF], IIf([count_em]=0,1,0) AS [Unnocc Space Count], IIf([rm_type]="FUL" And [count_em]=0,1,0) AS [Vacant FUL Count], IIf([rm_type]="OFF" And [count_em]=0,1,0) AS [Vacant OFF Count], [Vacant FUL Count]+[Vacant OFF Count] AS [Vacant FUL & OFF], [Total FUL & OFF]-[DO FUL & OFF Count]-[Vacant FUL & OFF] AS [Single OCC FUL & OFF Count], IIf([Vacant FUL & OFF]=1,[area_uplifted],0) AS [Vacant OFF & FUL Uplift SF], IIf([rm_type]="FUL" And [count_em]>0,1,0) AS [Occupied FUL Count], IIf([rm_type]="OFF" And [count_em]>0,1,0) AS [Occupied OFF Count], [Occupied FUL Count]+[Occupied OFF Count] AS [Occupied FUL & OFF], IIf([Occupied FUL & OFF]=1,[area_uplifted],0) AS [Occupied FUL & OFF Uplift SF], IIf([Vacant FUL & OFF]<1,[area_uplifted],0) AS [GSF WO Vacant FUL & OFF], QryMasterData.area_uplifted, QryMasterData.chrg_ind, QryMasterData.rm_std, QryMasterData.AFM_paycc.name, QryMasterData.paycc_id, QryMasterData.dp_id, QryMasterData.option1, QryMasterData.option2, Left([AFM_paycc.name],4) AS Option3, Left([dp_id],4) AS Option4
FROM QryMasterData;

Here's some of that Autocad .lsp I was telling you about...

(defun C:NAMEIT (/ names PT1 size Nam)
(setq Nam (getvar "clayer"))
(command "Zoom" "E")
(command "layer" "M" "DWGNAME" "C" "7" "" "")
(setvar "clayer" "DWGNAME")
(setvar "orthomode" 0)
(setq names (substr (strcase (strcat (getvar "DWGPREFIX") " " (getvar "DWGNAME")" "(date_stamp "MM/DD/YY"))) 57))
(setq SIZE (* (- (car (getvar "EXTMAX" ))(car (getvar "EXTMIN" ))) 0.02))

(setq CEN_PTX (+ (car (getvar "ExtmAx")) (* SIZE 2.0)))
(setq CEN_PTY (cadr (polar (getvar "Extmin") (angle (getvar "Extmin") (getvar "Extmax") ) (* 0.50 (distance (getvar "Extmin") (getvar "Extmax"))))))
(setq PT1 (list CEN_PTX CEN_PTY 0.0))
;(setq PT1 (getpoint "\npick name spot"))
; (setq size (* (car(getvar "EXTMAX" )) 0.02))
(command "style" "DWGTAG" "hlVBold" 0 1 0.0 "N" "N")
(command "TEXT" "J" "C" PT1 Size 90.0 Names)
(command "Zoom" "E")
(command "style" "ARCHiSEL" "ROMANS" 0 1 0.0 "N" "N" "N")
(setvar "clayer" Nam)
; (command "Move" "L" "" pt1)
)

Hizell of a lot of trouble to stamp a name on a drawing eh?

Well Toose, that settles it... you are now officially INSANE!!!

And think, people used to call me a geek in high school b/c I had this amazing thing called a website... sheesh!

Not since you volunteered to help me out... How's that saying go, "sucker born every minute"

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!

I will never be as geeky as you guys are (T and T2). Mose and I are really tryin to catch up though.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Okay, I'm sad to report that I was able to follow most of that code. MOST, thankfully. If it had been all, I'd have had to kill myself. I'm not a DBA guy. Don't know if I wanna be either. Thank goodness I didn't follow the second block of code at all.

Impressive stuff, though. And yeah, Spud's right: everyone thinks "Oh, I could never do that," but it's just not true. I taught my sister basic HTML when she was 8...we're all capable of it. But people get creeped out when it comes to techie stuff.

I used to do some visual basic programming in High School and it really wasn't that difficult once I understood the logic and commands.. I couldn't even write a program that popped up and said "hello" anymore though

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I did some of that too. Only problem was...it wasn't an actual class, the teacher just gave me the book and said, "do this". Needless to say, I gave up on it and just made a web page for him that broke down his Exploring the Internet syllabus. I never got it finished and the images don't even work anymore on it.

This was why I asked if you ever used IIF (Immediate IF) statements... you can see them peppering the SQL in my code. It basically takes the place of IF, THEN, ELSE in many conditions. Non SQL syntax would be for example:

=IF(fieldx>1,fieldx,0)

In english.. if fieldx is greater than 1 maintain that value, otherwise set fieldx to 0

In standard SQL you would set it like this
IF[fieldx]>1 THEN [filedx], ELSE 0

With IIF you can set this:
IIF([fieldx]>1,[fieldx],0)

Saves you alot of work in defining the parameters for the THEN and ELSE.

There's my tip of the day

Yep, me knows. I had to use it in a CFML script I wrote a few months ago. And vBulletin uses it sometimes because (I think) not all versions of PHP support the ternary operator, which does the same kinda thing, and works like this:

$var = (condition) ? value_if_true : value_if_false;

And yeah, when I saw those throughout I thought "aha." It was pleasantly surprising to understand part of it.

Okay

SQL Server 2000 IS THE BOMB.

Has anyone used it? Chris? DTS Packages? I'm going to automate myself out of a job.

Oh, Chris, while I'm on the subject.... have you created any database stuff with XML yet? I'm getting my feet wet and I'm really liking the flexibility of it.

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Guys
I am a software oriented person versus a hardware oriented person. I just started the A+ course but am no where near enough completion to figure out my current dilemma...

My computer intermittently recognizes my cd-rom drive. By that I mean that sometimes when I boot it sees it and sometimes when I boot it doesn't see it. When the pc sees the cd-rom drive, it works perfectly so I don't think it's the drive. I've reloaded the drivers etc to no avail. On the boot sequence it shows up as the correct letter... what gives? Any ideas?

Since I'm updating geek stuff I'm now hardware certified. A+ in the bag. Now I'm studying i-net+