Great Movies That Were Followed Up By The Absolute Worst Sequels

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
So, when are we going to rename this the 'Battle Royale II' thread?

Welcome to the human race...
So, when are we going to rename this the 'Battle Royale II' thread?
Never.

Not enough people bothered to watch the second. I didn't even finish it.

Care to back that up? Because I can list many sequels that some consider better/as good as than the first films. Sequels are not inherently worse.

Consider these films:

Aliens (I actually like the first the best, but for many, Aliens is the best)
The Empire Strikes Back
X-Men II
The Godfather II
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Toy Story II
The Evil Dead II
The Bourne Supremacy
The Road Warrior
A Shot in the Dark
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Spiderman II
Terminator II
(Again I like the first, but many like this best)

...and there are more, depending on who you talk to...
Spiderman 2 was..bad.Not as a movie but as a sequel.It was bad compared to the first movie.Boring...
But the worst sequel by far was Matrix.I loved the first one but then....corruption came They messed up to say the least

A system of cells interlinked
I find the Bourne Identity better then Supremacy. It had more of a mystery feel to it and I wanted to find out more. Supremacy had more action for sure, but the overall effect wasn't the same.

I was just thinking of the superior directing job in the second one. I thought the first had a slightly better screenplay, but the director was (and still is) a hack. Hence him getting replaced in the franchise. Greengrass is just better, IMO.

Thinking back though, the first did have the better mystery/suspense. I like them both, I guess. Let's chock it up to it being AS good, after TUS's points...

A system of cells interlinked
Seriously? I think this film is a prime example of films not standing the test of time. I find the Lester version of this film to be unwatchable, silly, and corny. Brando pulled out for a reason. The Donner cut restores the Superman mythos somewhat, but is flawed and unfinished. I still like it a whole hell of a lot more than the original theatrical cut. I liked Superman II as a kid when it was released, but it quickly tarnished with time... Donner had already shot most of the film, and then Lester came in and added a bunch of bad dialogue and silly sight gags. Once he was given the helm for an entire Superman film (Superman III), his true colors shone through.

Stinky, stinky brown...

All time worst sequel - Pirates of the Caribbean II. And III was even worse. The 'movie franchise' curse struck big time. When they're spending zillions on special effects, why can't they be bothered to hire a half decent script writer?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Just horrible but then they redeemed themselves with The Last Crusade, thank you Sir Connery.
Then....then that awful 4th movie which made Temple of Doom look like the lovechild of Gone with the Wind & Citizen Kane.

The worthlessness of Highlander 2 was so strong it gave me 2 black eyes.

Trying to think of a 3rd sequel flop that could match these disappointments..... the mind sometimes protects us.

The truth is in here
This would take a long time, so for now I'm just gonna list horror examples.

Friday The 13th - Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Final Destination - The Final Destination
Saw - Saw 3D
Cube - Cube Zero
Prom Night - Prom Night IV: Deliver Us From Evil (Easily my least favorite of these)
Jaws - Jaws: The Revenge
Alien - Alien: Covenant
The Conjuring - The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (Tamest offender, but still a massive disappointment)
ThanksKilling - ThanksKilling 3

If I put aside the obvious direct-to-video cashgrabs, the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title was Speed 2. I saw that in theaters, and even my 19-year-old self thought that was utter s-hit.

I think you got it backwards here

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

If you ask me what I'd prefer to watch, 6 or the original, I'm always going to go with the original. Or even the second one. Always. Because that is more my aesthetic.

But 6 at least tries to be something vaguely interesting as a film. It's got personality. It's easily one of the best in the series. Arguably the best, even when I consider my own biases.

I'm surprised by how little I didn't despise the second Exorcist movie.

Temple of Doom has no place on this list. It's a prequel.

The truth is in here
It's also got no place on here because it's a great prequel.

I think you got it backwards here
Nope. Hate Jason Lives. The acting is terrible, the characters are either annoying as shit or in Tommy's case blander than a dry loaf of bread (which is partly due to Thom Matthews' wooden acting), and the comedy is stupid and overexaggerated to the point where it's like watching a bad sketch comedy. The only things I can compliment is that it's well-shot, Jason is still intimidating and the score as well as the end credits song is good. Besides that, I'm completely adverse to the adoration the movie usually receives.

The Final Chapter was comedic too, but also had a solid, creepy atmosphere and good performances (Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman being the standouts). The humor also felt more natural rather than farcical and obnoxious.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Just horrible but then they redeemed themselves with The Last Crusade, thank you Sir Connery.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sucked! That's my vote for worst sequel.
As others have said, Temple of Doom is a prequel not a sequel.

Also it's the best movie in the Indiana Jones series.

The truth is in here
If it wasn't for Willie being so shrill and irritating at points, Temple Of Doom would be my favorite too. It's got an amazing dark atmosphere, some of the best comedy in the whole franchise and a really sweet chemistry between Indiana Jones and Short Round. I have never understood why some hate it with such a passion.

Was Jaws II really that abysmal? I know 3 was horrendous, but I remember 2 not being ridiculously terrible. Nowhere near as good as the first, of course...

Not really. "Abysmal" is a word reserved for the absolute worst of the worst, and the Jaws series kept getting worse as it went along. My rankings of 1-4 on a 0-10 scale: 10, 7, 5, 3.

The truth is in here
Yeah, Jaws 2 is still enjoyable thanks to Roy Scheider coming back as Brody. Although the plot is pretty much a carbon copy of the first movie, only with some teen peril thrown into the mix this time.

Jaws 3-D is goofy and silly, but kind of a guilty pleasure.