The Dish

→ in
Tools    

There's supposed to be a sweet new movie coming out that WB picked up as a semi-indie called The Dish. It did really well at the Toronto Film Festival. It's sort of a "what were you doing when we landed on the moon" type thing and will be good for a pretty general audience- it even comes from the land down under. Has anyone heard about this one yet? It sounds cool

MovieForums Extra
New movie coming out?! It's quite old news here in OZ, I saw it last year, gotta say it's one of the best Australian movies I've seen in a long long while! It's a strong movie, without crossing the very thin line of sentimentality. I would reccomend the movie to anyone, hands down!

(And no, the Aussie film industry did not pay me for this post)!

After laughing till I cried watching The Castle, I settled down to watch that team's next effort The Dish and was surprised, and slightly disappointed... at first.

The Dish isn't a comedy for me in the same vein as The Castle was. The Castle had a joke every second line and each one worked a charm. The Dish's sense of humour was the same, (If you've ever seen an Aussie film, you know what their sense of humour is like, down-to-earth) but not as loud. The Dish is a drama with funny bits in it.

I only now realise that one of the great gifts in the Castle was my fondness for the Kerrigan family. Over the course of the film, I become a surrogate son, cheering the family on. The Dish is similar. The town of Parkes this time, took me into their confidance. I become a member of the community. And by the end of the film, I was in as much raptures as the mayor, his family and the guys that work at the dish were.

Where The Dish surprised me was in how overpoweringly emotional it is; and yet it is never sentimental. I cried. I couldn't believe it but I did. My generation doesn't know what it was like to watch the moon landings. We've seen the images of Armstrong so often that it's a cliche. "One small step for man...". BORING! But this movie brings you back to that time. It makes the landing fresh again. We see how the local community react to the event and we can't help but join in their applause. We're like the mayor's daughter. We're blase about the event until we see it happen and realise what a momentous occasion it is. And it's all the better because our little town had a part to play in it.

Sam Neill is so good in this. Most audiences will register Dr. Grant when they see him. But that persona quickly fades and we're introduced to a brave and kind man. We learn a little about him. He doesn't say much so that when he does speak, everybody knows it must be important. His desire to see the moon landing was borrowed from his wife's enthusiasm, but she's not alive to see it. He's a vital cog to both the community and to the dish's smooth running. He's surrounded in The Dish by a number of great characters, the best of which is the security guard, Rudy, whose conversation with Mr. Armstrong is the film's comic highlight.

Britain used to turn out these kind of human comedies by the bucketload in the old Ealing Studios. They had died as a genre but these Aussies have resurrected them. They're simple stories about the small man competing against the big man but they're so joyful and so honest that they should work every time.

I personally think The Dish is supirior to The Castle (mind you only by a fraction, I love them both) because it's more complex and more subtle in it's comedy and in it's drama. It's a perfectly balanced understated film that for some reason plays on you after it has finished.

The performances are great. The moments are touching ("She would have been proud, mate."). The moments are funny (the American Anthem Australian Style...).

I reiterate everything that BigVal has said.
See this film.

Do.