Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I also believe that when a certain subject is mentioned in a certain film, your brain turns off. I'd say that isn't very healthy, but so far, probably nothing to worry about too much. My recommendation is to try to REALLY GO AGAINST YOUR KNEE-JERK REACTIONS. It might be nothing, but then again, it might mean everything.

I actually watched a couple of very good films last night. I do occasionally watch good movies.

There Will Be Blood (2007)

I think The Coen's may have been about 50/50 to win best picture after seeing this. This was really good. Daniel Day Lewis is in danger of going down as perhaps the greatest actor of all time. Has any actor ever won 3 Best Actor Oscars? I bet he will. I'm sure Micheal Clayton and Atonement are decent but the only one left that I'm really looking forward to from this years Oscar nom's is Juno.

Man this was good. And Paul Dano was just plain creepy. I admit that part of the attraction for me to a film like this is the subtle shots it takes at some of the absurdities of religion. But that doesn't make it any less good of a film just because I'm biased. There's just as many reasons for me not to like a movie like this because of the other issues that this film tackles, greed, money, absolute power corrupts absolutely and so on. But overall it was just breath taking.

The Triplets of Bellville or Triplettes de Belleville, Les (2003)

This was also very good, fantastic really. The dog especially, obviously a pet owner.

Frankestein

I watched Frankenstein again.... It's still awesome. I'd like to see some new movies, or at least one new movie, made inside a studio like the good'ol days. A big ol' poster landscape with some randomly placed shrubs to hide the mics and their cables, and a bomb-da-be-bomb story that runs a muck on set whilst pleasing audiences from coast to coast.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There Will Be Blood - raised to

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - still

How to Steal a Million (William Wyler, 1966)

This is a witty, romantic caper comedy with plenty of suspense to spare. Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole have wonderful chemistry together. Set in Paris, it details how Audrey tries to keep her art forger papa (Hugh Griffith) out of prison with the aid of thief O'Toole. Needless to say, things aren't always what they appear to be, so there are a few surprises, an ingenious heist, and believable romance. The film may be just slightly overlong at 124 minutes, but it's hard to think what should be edited. The big robbery scene in the museum is the extended centerpiece, so you have to keep that, the subplot with art collector Eli Wallach provides necessary closure. and the set-up has to stay, so I guess you just have to sit back and try to enjoy the whole thing. I did. This may have the most romantic scene ever in a broom closet.

Colour out of Time
Just saw an Australian film titled Chopper (2000) ...

Eric Bana plays Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read, a notorious and violent Australian criminal who later became a celebrity of sorts when he released a novel from which the film is based. While Bana did realistically portray this person, I found the film to be superficial and left me empty. Yes you see snippets of his life and some scenes are extremely violent, you just don't really get into his character

I wouldn't bother

WARNING: "Synopsis" spoilers below

In 1991, Mark ‘Chopper’ Read (Eric Bana) is in jail watching himself on television. He has become the most famous criminal in Australia, a standover man who claims to have robbed and killed only drug dealers and other criminals. The action then shifts to Pentridge Prison in 1978, where a younger, thinner Read establishes his reputation in jail by the vicious stabbing of Keithy George (David Field), a member of the much feared criminal gang associated with the Victorian Painters and Dockers Union. The prison governor, Mr Beasley (Fred Barker) warns Read that they have put a contract out on him, but Read is dismayed when his best mate, Jimmy Loughnan (Simon Lyndon) stabs him seven times. Loughnan claims at his subsequent trial that Read attacked him first.
By 1995, Read is out of jail – a police informant, paranoid because of all the speed he’s taking, but still living at home with his dad. He shoots a drug dealer called ‘The Turk’ outside a nightclub in St Kilda, but the police refuse to believe him. He shoots an old associate, drug dealer Neville Bartos (Vince Colosimo), then drives him to hospital. He threatens his old mate Jimmy Loughnan, who’s back on heroin, with a gun, then apologises. The police eventually arrest him for the murder of the Turk. He is acquitted, but gets five years for other offences, and returns to jail. By 1991, his first book about his own life has sold 250,000 copies. He’s a celebrity, but still alone and in jail.

Aside ... apparently when Chopper moved and settled in Tasmania, he did on occasion check out my local and dearly loved drinking hole. The reason to possibly buy

Damn that was a lucky escape as I don't think I'd be able to run a tab at his bar

West Side Story (1961)

It's always satisfying to knock a movie off the lists that in turn knocks a spot off of about 2 or 3 others as well. I really enjoyed the movie. Natalie Wood was great. It didn't quite capture my interest as much as Fiddler on the Roof. But it was very enjoyable.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

This movie is such a trip. I'm glad that I don't drop LSD anymore because I think I could probably sit and watch this for a week if I did. I wonder if one of the reasons so many don't like this film is because of all the silence during the scenes that are outside of the spaceships? You know. Where its quiet. Because there is no sound in space. Anyway, I do really need to get me a nice shiny DVD version, my VHS (in full Videophonic Sound) is more than a little dated.

Annie (1982)

I went and saw this at the theater, it was good then and its good now. Why isn't this one on the musical list? Is someone out there really going to try and tell me that Annie isn't as good as Grease or Moulin Rouge? C'mon. I'm just saying there needs to be more of them, why is there only 25? I have several more here that I mean to watch and some of them look pretty good. How about OKLAHOMA! (which I've seen live at the playhouse) or Kiss me Kate or The Man from Lamancha or... well, you get the point. There are others out there.

Offtopic, but I'd just like to say that this poster for Funny games is infinitely better:

OT: Exotica - Atom Egoyan

Not as good as The sweet hereafter, but still a very good film.

The Incredible Petrified World (1939)

So basically these 4 people go down in a diving bell and when "inevitably" the cable snaps they end up on the bottom of the ocean. Only at the bottom of this ocean its light and so they decide that maybe they only landed like 20 feet below the surface or something, (even though they fell after the cable snapped for so long they were passing out from boredom) and then they put on their little diving suits and climbed a little metal ladder up to where I'm not to sure, (the door I guess) and next thing we see is them coming out of the diving bell. If I have to point out to you why I find that absolutely hilarious, then I don't know what to tell you.

Next they start swimming up and up and up... And then (of course) they pop up into some kind of cave. That's right a cave at the bottom of the ocean. Aren't you paying attention? I guess some of the cave scenes were filmed in Arizona where a whole bunch of caves are, I'd really love to go there some time. Anyway, they run into some guy who's been living down there for 14 years and hilarity ensues and they escape back to the world and all live happily ever after. The End.

Crash of the Moons (1952 T.V.) (1954 edited to a feature film)

"Space Ranger Rocky Jones calling base." You just can't really appreciate how good some of these are until you see them for yourself. By far the best part in this one is all the names. Dig some of these.

You have: Rocky Jones, Winky, Vena Ray, Cleolanta and Atlasan to name a few. I say this is must see T.V.

Uncle Buck - John Candy RIP is so funny, what a talent. This film is cringey but v funny, a classic
I luvin it!! uncle buck was great so was The Great Outdoors
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?