Reading Tab

Tools    

You're a Genius all the time

"And for just a moment I had reached the point of ecstasy that I always wanted to reach, which was the complete step across chronological time into timeless shadows, and wonderment in the bleakness of the mortal realm, and the sensation of death kicking at my heels to move on, with a phantom dogging its own heels, and myself hurrying to a plank where all the angels dove off and flew into the holy void of uncreated emptiness, the potent and inconceivable radiancies shining in bright Mind Essence, innumerable lotus-lands falling open in the magic mothswarm of heaven. I could hear an indescribable seething roar which wasn't in my ear but everywhere and had nothing to do with sounds. I realized that I had died and been reborn numberless times but just didn't remember because the transitions from life to death and back are so ghostly easy, a magical action for naught, like falling asleep and waking up again a million times, the utter casualness and deep ignorance of it."

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Revolutionary Characters by Gordon S. Wood

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Picked up World War Z this weekend... before I delve into the last 2 Dune books I wanted to go through this one since I've seen it around. Its basically an after the fact telling of a global zombie war.
After that I'll probably go through those Dune books, then I plan on reading the entire Dark Tower series. I had read up to the fourth book, but was waiting for the next one to come out... when that one came out I heard that King was pushing to finish the series, so I just decided to wait until it was finished, then start over from the beginning.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've never paid full price for a book.
I've bought books used too (I love Half-Price Books), but I often do that in order to test-drive a new author. Once I determine I like that author, I'll then make sure I support that person's work by buying their books *new* (which is the only way they make any money).

Wasn't sure you were aware of that fact, so I thought I'd mention it. I don't mean to judge your book-buying habits, honest. And hey, I can't think of anything better on which to spend money than books!

------

I'm currently reading Ken Follett's PILLARS OF THE EARTH. So far so good (it's about 1,000 pages and I'm around 175). Next is Stephenie Meyer's NEW MOON.

Then it's a classic of one sort or another.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Memnon, I have all the Dark Tower books but haven't read any yet. I started The Gunslinger but got only a few pages in before setting it aside for something else.

But I love King and too many people love this series for me to give up, so I'll restart it at some point.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Memnon, I have all the Dark Tower books but haven't read any yet. I started The Gunslinger but got only a few pages in before setting it aside for something else.

But I love King and too many people love this series for me to give up, so I'll restart it at some point.
The books I have read were not quite what a lot of people expect from King. There are some major overtones of westerns and sci-fi and fantasy ideas mixed in as well.
If you have read a lot of King's other material, you will see some of those themes, and even characters.

I'm contemplating picking up David Eddings The Belgariad and Mallorien (several books each). Has anyone read these or other Eddings series? Are they worth the read?

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

Finished:
Emma by Jane Austen
Ulysses by James Joyce

+ an article from the Feb. 11 New Yorker by David Grann, about a murder suspect in Poland who got caught by writing a novel alluding to the murder. (a small part of the article is online here.)

I am half agony, half hope.
Just finished Sidney Lumet's Making Movies.

Just started Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Johann von Goethe

Finished We Can Build You by Philip K. Dick

Decided not to finish the Illuminatus Trilogy, by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, after making it about halfway through the second novel, The Golden Apple. It's pretty entertaining, but so are a bajillion other novels, and having gotten through the first book I've read enough.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
No Country for Old Men.. movie follows book pretty well... a lot of cuts to the opening speech made..