Mofo Movie Club: Gaiety! Glory! Glamour!

Tools    

Which film do you want to talk about?
4.17%
1 votes
The Bourne Ultimatum
45.83%
11 votes
Death Proof
20.83%
5 votes
Hairspray
20.83%
5 votes
SiCKO
8.33%
2 votes
Transformers
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think it was Winston Churchill who said "Mofo without a Movie Club is like a James Bond film without fit women" so here we are again!

Some quick guidelines before we kick off:

1. Please don't vote unless you want to track down and talk about whichever film that wins. If the one you picked doesn't make it then, I'm afraid, that's life - you can always watch both.

2. If you've already seen one/some/all of the choices then I'll leave the voting criteria up to you. Point 1 still applies.

3. I'll put the poll up for a week and then give people a week to find and watch the winning film. Threads will still be open so, as happens occasionally in the old Club discussions, feel free to join in at a later date.

4. In the event of a tie the benevolent dictator in charge of the thread has the casting vote. There's gotta be some perks.

Onwards!

Film choice 1: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007, Paul Greengrass)

Captain Vom directs the third movie about the secret agent who just wants to remember. And then, presumably, forget.

Film Choice 2: Death Proof (2997, Quentin Tarantino)

The Great White hope of 90s cinema returns!

Film choice 3: Hairspray (2007, Adam Shankman)

The film of the musical of the film. I think.

Film choice 4: SiCKO (2007, Michael Moore)

The chicken-suited agent provocateur throws himself at the American Healthcare system. *DVD release in Australia: 6th Feb(ish)*

Film choice 5: Transformers (2007, Michael Bay)

The film of the cartoon/toys that I would regularly break, especially that silver Datsun.

Get voting MoFo! It'd be great if we got the new year off with some mass debating.

Em, what was the criteria for choosing these films...exactly...? Aside from Death proof and possibly Sicko, I don't really see how much (and just what exactly) you can say about the others...O.O

I sorta thought the idea of the movie club was to possibly find films not everyone has seen and/or are at least discussion worthy...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Em, what was the criteria for choosing these films...exactly...? Aside from Death proof and possibly Sicko, I don't really see how much (and just what exactly) you can say about the others...O.O

I sorta thought the idea of the movie club was to possibly find films not everyone has seen and/or are at least discussion worthy...
I'll be brief.

The criteria is that the films should be easy to obtain down at your local rental store. Not everyone wants to hop on a bittorrent tracker, y'know.

If you aren't able to find something to say about, say, Transformers, be it positive or negative then you're not the adi I know. Still, it looks like you'll be spending your time on deciding on whether to vote for Death Proof or SiCKO so keep your fingers crossed.

This isn't to say that there won't be occasional themed polls which won't be as inclusive but that's not the general idea.

I have no desire to see Death Proof until its released in its entirety the way it was at the theater. But you folks go right ahead...

Lets put a smile on that block
Oh Taccy, HOW EXCITING. VERY EXCITING INDEED.
I have no desire to see Death Proof until its released in its entirety the way it was at the theater. But you folks go right ahead...
Well, technically speaking Death Proof when it was released theatrically outside the US was LONGER than it's original release in the States, meaning you got it in it's entirety, and then some. When it was originally released in the States as part of Grindhouse (With Planet Terror), it was shorter.

But i guess what you're talking about is that you want to see it as part of the whole Grindhouse release...

But i guess what you're talking about is that you want to see it as part of the whole Grindhouse release...

Bingo! I'm not buying it or watching it until its released the way it came out originally. I realize I'm in the minority but that's Ok.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I voted for Sicko, I think it could generate some interesting discussion.

Bingo! I'm not buying it or watching it until its released the way it came out originally. I realize I'm in the minority but that's Ok.
Your not the minority - anybody who's seen Grindhouse in theatres (twice for me) wants the original to be released. They have a 5 disc set with the seperate death proof and planet terror dvd's : along with the original theatrical release DVD , butthat's only in japan.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm not going to vote since I don't know if I will be able to rent the one that gets picked. But I'm hoping that I can join in in any case. Great initiative, Tac!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Well, I think Death Proof won

I didn't even know about Death Proof, until I saw this thread. So I looked it up on IMDB.com, and watched some trailers . . .

Planet Terror, and Death Proof. Only at the Grindhouse.

I'm going to have to pass on this one!

Now, if you want to watch Snake Plissken . . .

Let me know!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Where did u get the Gaiety! Glory! Glamour! IMy desktop backround says the same thing

Lets put a smile on that block
Your not the minority - anybody who's seen Grindhouse in theatres (twice for me) wants the original to be released. They have a 5 disc set with the seperate death proof and planet terror dvd's : along with the original theatrical release DVD , butthat's only in japan.
Got a link for this Meatwad? I want it very much...