What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Wow, I'm jealous of you for that DC of Zodiac, but I mean... HD-DVD lost. Warner Bros. sided with Blu-Ray. Paramount switched. Universal has no comment as to its continued partnership with Toshiba. Isn't it kind of a waste of money?

Yes, Warner is now Blu. Though as of now, Paramount and Universal are still the only two remaining studios still in HD camp. we'll see what happens as the year progresses. I own both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players so I am ok.... no matter what happens

I have bought Underworld Evolution, I really liked the movie.
I was looking for a great movie and realized that I haven't saw
this one so I grab and buy it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Just bought Uncle Buck and also Austin Powers (the first one).

Why? Because I was walking by a $5 bargain bin and there they both were, both in widescreen. Why not?

I am half agony, half hope.
I bought Hiroshima Mon Amour. I've rented it enough times to have purchased a copy, so I went and bought the Clarion Collection with extra goodies in it. The more I see it, the more I love it.

Johann von Goethe

You're a Genius all the time
My So-Called Life: The Complete Series

Really like this show - Angela Chase has got to be one of my favorite TV characters. There's more painful high school realism in these nineteen 45 minute episodes than in every how-to-be-a-happy-teenager-MTV "reality" show put together. Sure, it has it's flaws; a few of the episodes don't hold up so well ten years later. Plus, outside of Claire Danes the performances are pretty uneven. And when you stack it up next to something like Freaks and Geeks, it really can't compete. After all, I'd take Nick Andopolis over Jordan Catallano any day. But there wouldn't have been a Lindsay Weir if it weren't for Angela Chase. And My So-Called Life is an unfortunately forgotten gem that's due to be rediscovered.

The Lives of Others

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I was saddened recently, while watching TCM's annual roll call of those we love and lost in the past year, to see that the star of The Lives of Others, Ulrich Mühe (pictured above), died of stomach cancer in July at the age of 54. R.I.P.

You're a Genius all the time
I was saddened recently, while watching TCM's annual roll call of those we love and lost in the past year, to see that the star of The Lives of Others, Ulrich Mühe died of stomach cancer in July at the age of 54. R.I.P.
Yeah, kinda took me by surprise. Haven't seen any of his other work but from everything I've read it seems he was a pretty great actor. I really can't stress enough how AMAZING he was in The Lives of Others.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Fargo- an excellent thriller, and for $10 bucks, why not

Dawn of the Dead remake- one of the best new horror films out there

Tommy- The best opera, ever

i love those three..they simply rock me out..

The People's Republic of Clogher

One of my all time favourite BBC comedies (and reportedly the old witch Thatcher's favourite TV show - I somehow doubt she got the irony).

Class in a glass...or, in this case, a boxset.

"Once", cause most of my friends who've already watched it told me that it was a great romantic film. so I bought it..

The last dvd copy I bought was the Pirates of The Caribbean : Curse of the Black Pearl.

Ghandi, cos it was £3 and I haven't seen it yet.

POSTWAR KUROSAWA: I Live in Fear, The Idiot, No Regrets for
Our Youth, One Wonderful Sunday
and Scandal

"THE ROCKFORD FILES" SEASON FIVE
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

dahlia

The Black Dahlia

Not so much because I liked the movie but because I'm fascinated by the subject matter. I realize that Ellroy based his story on his fascination with boxing, 1940's L.A., the murder of Elizabeth Short, the murder of his mother etc. and that this account is less than factual (in fact, its fiction) but it does have its moments.

Holden, did you ever hear that Scott Glenn was originally set to play Rockford? I've heard it but can't confirm.

For me, it's Endless Love II: Winter Sonata. I feel very romantic watching it.