Based On A True Story

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
come on, is that even really a movie?

Debbie Does Dallas??

I'm not being sick.
I'm proving a point. I'm not going to say what the point is, because I don't want to. But honestly. This thread went to hell a long time ago.

No, I'm making up titles now, and still Holden goes on. Being "clever".

I know, you're sticking to your guns, I like that. I wasn't terribly upset truly, I happen to like that sorta sickness.

Heavenly Creatures (1994) !
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The Perfect Storm
Ghosts of Mississippi
Men of Honor
Natural Born Killers
The Amityville Horror
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by tiredoftraffic
Sades, I hope you're not the type to bend and shimmer easy -
Bend and shimmer? Thmmie...what does that mean again?

Thmilin:
But, my bullchild, I don't think you needed to change your avatar or sig!
Just time for a change, my dear... I'm not horny anymore I'm raging

Sadie:
Toose, I like you're new avatar. Tell you why...*whispering*
Tell me... whisper it...

Ed Gein

I love Braveheart, but it is sooooo fictional. The only thing they got right about Princess Isabelle is that she actually existed and married Edward II at some point. She didn't marry him until years after Wallace had been executed.

Originally posted by firegod
I love Braveheart, but it is sooooo fictional. The only thing they got right about Princess Isabelle is that she actually existed and married Edward II at some point. She didn't marry him until years after Wallace had been executed.
Yes, it had inaccuracies, but the primary story of Wallace was very true to what happened. I honestly don't care about the marriage date. It does bug me that they would throw something like that in...another romance, basically. However, it's a minor detail; I'm just thankful that most of it is true to what happened...it's such a rarity these days. I would not at all say it was "sooooo fictional."

Now With Moveable Parts
William Wallace was not the hottie Mel Gibson is, either. Who cares? It was a great story. Loosely based.

Originally posted by TWTCommish

Yes, it had inaccuracies, but the primary story of Wallace was very true to what happened. I honestly don't care about the marriage date. It does bug me that they would throw something like that in...another romance, basically. However, it's a minor detail; I'm just thankful that most of it is true to what happened...it's such a rarity these days. I would not at all say it was "sooooo fictional."
I don't consider the romance to be a minor detail at all. I think it was a very large part of the movie, one that I actually like, regardless of how COMPLETELY fictional it was. Isabella was about 12 when Wallace died. She hadn't even been to England yet. How could she have had Wallace's baby?

There were other major inaccuracies. Wallace didn't want to invade England when they said he did. He vocally disagreed with that invasion. There is no historical indication at all that Robert the Bruce ever betrayed Wallace or Scottland. England had Wallace's wife killed because he was fighting against England, not the other way around. Longshanks died years after Wallce died, not seconds before. The movie depicts Wallace as an up-and-comer, who meets Robert the Bruce, ruler of Scotland. Bruce didn't rule Scotland untils years after Wallace had.

Some less important, but still notable inaccuracies include:

*Wallace's wife's throat was not cut; she was hanged.
*She was 8 months pregnant at the time.
*Robert the Bruce was about 17 for most of the time depicted in the movie, while the movie showed him to be in his 30's or so.
*Bruce wouldn't have said anything like "You have bled with Wallace; now bleed with me." at the time period he is depicted as doing so. At that point, he had already fought with many of those men.
*Scots didn't wear kilts back then.
*Wallace's father was not killed in battle.
*Wallace did not have a poor, humble childhood. His father being an important knight, he had a somewhat rich and noble childhood. At least the movie did show Wallace as being very well educated, which he was.
*Wallace was about 6'5. Mel Gibson is a huge stretch, historically. I don't mind it too much because I liked Gibson in this movie.

I'm sure there are some that I missed. I'm interested in knowing exactly what makes you say "Yes, it had inaccuracies, but the primary story of Wallace was very true to what happened." and "However, it's a minor detail; I'm just thankful that most of it is true to what happened..." How can you say most of it is true to what happened? What in the primary story was very true to what happened? That Scotland and England fought against each other? That Wallace was a Scotland hero? That Robert the Bruce ruled Scotland? That certain battles actually happened? Just curious.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
William Wallace was not the hottie Mel Gibson is, either. Who cares? It was a great story. Loosely based.
I agree. Great story, but mostly fictional.

sades, I think he meant "bend and shimmy" but I also think you knew what he meant.

What in the primary story was very true to what happened? That Scotland and England fought against each other? That Wallace was a Scotland hero? That Robert the Bruce ruled Scotland? That certain battles actually happened? Just curious.
Well, primarily, English cruelty, and the things Wallace endured. The brutality. Things like that. To me, a romance thrown in for interest is annoying, but of little consequence. Wallace's story is what the film is really about -- Wallace's quest. The value an undying human desire for freedom. I don't think his HEIGHT is of issue, either. Neither are kilts.

This was not a movie where they had some basic frame and made up most of the significant pieces. A lot of those battles took place. A lot of those little tricks of Wallace's really happened. His torture at the end really happened. That is VERY different from what we see in most movies today.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by TWTCommish

Well, primarily, English cruelty, and the things Wallace endured. The brutality. Things like that. To me, a romance thrown in for interest is annoying, but of little consequence.
A movie that actually works with the romance thrown in...

Mothman was based on atrue story.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I think you'll find the "Based on a True Story" tag depends on how well-known the material is beforehand. There's no need to put such a distinction on Titanic or Patton, because even before those movies were hits there was a broad understanding that they are based on historical events, or in the case of Ali or Man on the Moon, those figures are well-known enough. But when you get to a story like Erin Brockovich, The Insider or A Beautiful Mind, the likelihood that a wide variety of people are going to have an instant recognition of those stories without the film's publicity telling you what they are, that naturally decreases.
Here is my Top 10 movies, based upon or inspired by either True Events and or a person, that I was unfamiliar with prior.

10. Invincible

Quite frankly, had this been not based on real events, i wouldnt have believed it. Its a joe average triumphs wet dream, movie wise.

9. Ghosts of Mississipi

8.The Tuskegee Airmen

7. Silkwood

6. Lean on Me

5. A Beautiful Mind

4. Brubaker

Based on the real-life efforts of former prison administrator Thomas O. Murton to reform Tucker and Cummins Prison Farms in Arkansas in 1967-68.

3. Coach Carter

2.Glory

and #1 in this highly subjective countdown is.. (guess.. I know I've left off 1 or 3 that you would have included)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
my left foot

what do you think?

I took a creative writing class and one of our major assignments was to write something called, "creative non fiction" where we were to take an event from our life and make it something worth reading, something that would provide entertainment. I really think that's what these should be called "creative non fiction".

Semper Fooey
Practically any biopic starring Susan Hayward in the 1950s. The exception was I Want to Live as it had just been in the news a few years earlier. But the two singers she played, most folks had no idea who they were.

Another who tho heck is he, was Frank Sinatra playing Joe E. Lewis in the Joker is Wild. Lewis was popular on the nightclub circuit, but never appeared in a movie and probably was never on television prior to the release of the movie. That allowed the movie to lie big time. Their version was singer Lewis defied gangsters and had his throat slashed by them, damaging his vocal cords so he could never sing again. He then made a transition to comic, but became an alcoholic. All of this was true except for one important detail. He was always a comic and only sang comic songs and continued to sing them with his very damaged voice after the throat slashing. He introduced the famous song, "Sam, You Made the Pants Too Long" after the slashing. I would see Lewis sometimes on The Merv Griffin Show. He was pretty funny, but his voice was like a hushed whisper.