The "Apply directly to Forehead" Powderedwater 100

→ in
Tools    

20. Mr. Holland's Opus

Hanky time again folks, but its worth it trust me. This is so good. Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, so true, so true. If you only see one film with Richard Dreyfus in it I hope this is the one.

19. Billy Elliot

What a great story. I get pretty emotional during parts of this film, especially when the father decides to help Billy. I don't want to give to much away so go watch it. *May need tissues.*

18. Higlander

Be honest now, how many of you have ever talked to your mother's and at some point when you first meet her or call her, the first thing you say (in your very best Kurgen voice) is "Mom" and then proceed to stick out your tongue. My mom thinks its hysterical, of course though she loves the movie too, so that helps.

17. The Lord of The Rings Trilogy Ext. edition.

This bad boy tops out at well over 12 hours! We typically take 2 days when we do watch these, but again to me this is all one film, hence the no separation. I still love the books, but these are so freaking good that I may not be able to read them again. Here's to hoping that every one of our favorite books gets a director like Jackson.

16. Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des loups)

The French just know how to make movies. Its really kind of a fairy tale, with Indians that know Kung-fu and a big scary monster, but you get the point right? Plus Monica Belluci is just plain smoking hot!

15. Starship Troopers

"You kill bugs good!" Is this a war movie? Or a war Propaganda movie? I'm not sure I care either way, I do however think its a really good movie, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

14. The Last of the Mohicans

Well, all I can say is that this movie will probably never drop below #15, Why? Love Story, and a damn fine one. Two, really, if you want to get technical. I've had the book forever and I just can't bring myself to read it. The movie is just to good. My favorite Daniel Day Lewis film.

13. Casablanca

Well that's weird, another love story? I guess I don't need to explain why this is a 'good un' do I?

12. Benny and Joon

If you've seen this then you may already have the theme song going through your head. I watch this flick at least twice a year, typically after a day of humming the theme song all day. A fantastic love story with two people that probably shouldn't be in love with each other in the first place, seeing as how they're both pretty much nuts!

11. To Have and Have Not

This is one of those that really did start something. Bacall was only 19 years old when she did this film and I imagine Bogey was glad she came aboard as well, seeing as how he got divorced and soon ended up with Bacall. Anyway I could not take my eyes off of her either and I loved the movie so much that it was once in my top ten, I just happened on another one recently that just nosed it out.

Slim: "You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

10. Master and Commander The Far side of the World

I have a bit of a thing for boats. And this movie has boats and then some! A really great film as well, Peter Weir should have gotten Best Picture for this film but was beat out by some flick called Lord of the Rings if you can believe that.

9. Unforgiven

"I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folks."

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

I just recently saw Once upon a Time in the West, and while I agree that it is very good. To me this is not only the best western I've seen it's also one of the best movies I've seen. Now I freely admit that I have yet to get to some serious westerns from the lists but somehow I doubt any of them will stack up to this masterpiece.

8. Forrest Gump

This is a tough one for me. I relate plain and simple. I also have a bit of a thing for love stories as you may have noticed by now, and he loves Jenny so unconditionally that it make me cry. That's not even the toughest part of the film for me. There's this little scene during New Years eve when Forrest is visiting Lt. Dan. The clock has just struck midnight and Lt. Dan is sitting there with the most haunted look on his face, it chills me to my soul. I have felt that way on more than one occasion, and it is not fun. The good news is I don't feel that way anymore since I got sober. But still the scene gives me massive chills every time I see it.

7. Pulp Fiction

What can I say about a film that changed the way a lot of films that were made after this one was made? Uh, I think the movie is groovy. Yeah!

6. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Wow, to think I sat through some really, really bad kung-fu theater in my youth so I could really come to appreciate this absolute masterpiece! Glad I did is all I can say.

5. Amelie

Just another fantastic French film and another great love story about two people that are more than a little mental.

4. The Big Lebowski

"Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain."

"Ah hahahahaha! Wonderful woman. We're all, we're all very fond of her. Very free-spirited."

By far the funniest movie I have ever seen, hands down.

3. The Matrix

For the record I also really enjoyed the other two, just not enough to list this as a trilogy. I would not be at all surprised if in 20 years we are talking about this movie the way Blade Runner is talked about now. This is the only film I have gone to see twice on opening day and I was amazed to sit and listen to how many others were there for a second time as well. I am still not totally convinced that the machines didn't make this movie just to continue to keep us in line.

2. The Crow

"Victims... aren't we all!"

I guess I'm a bit of a violent romantic, because this is what would happen to you if you ever decided to violently rape and kill my wife.

1. Braveheart

After looking through this whole list I can't imagine that I really need to go into much detail as to why I love this movie so much. It just has it all, and that's really it in a nut shell. If you don't know what I mean then by all means please go watch it.

Well, that's it. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the show. I really appreciate all the comments I received while I was doing this and I'm glad I did it. It was fun reliving some of these films, and putting into words why I like and love them so much. Now get out there and make your own list! Oh, and use photobucket, they rock!

I am half agony, half hope.
That was a delightful list, Kitten. Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes you kind of vulnerable (I think), to put your favorites out there for scrutiny. I loved that you and others have done it. Good job.

Johann von Goethe

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Question:

Kingdom of Heaven.

Would that be the DC or theatrical?

Suspect's Reviews

Question:

Kingdom of Heaven.

Would that be the DC or theatrical?
Well let's see, I'm looking at the box right now and I don't see anything about this being a Directors cut so I'm guessing this is the theatrical version.

The People's Republic of Clogher
23. Tank Girl

Just another ridiculous movie and I love every second of it. I watch this probably at least twice a year.
Lord knows why Lori Petty didn't kick on to be a big star.

A very insightful and eclectic list, from Jim Jarmusch to Richard Curtis with a few chicanes in between. Excellent!

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty good list you made here - I'm especially fond of seeing Highlander rank so high. Underrated classic, it is.

You were right about some of the unexpected choices all right.

loved seeing a Richard Stanley film on your list, even if it isn't Dust Devil!!!!!

Horrorphiliac

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
15. Starship Troopers

"You kill bugs good!" Is this a war movie? Or a war Propaganda movie? I'm not sure I care either way, I do however think its a really good movie, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

You forgot to say, Avoid the sequel

You forgot to say, Avoid the sequel
Honestly I could say that about several of them, but around here I really don't have to. Most of the folks here are pretty battle tested when it comes to sequels.

I haven't seen Dust Devil, I'm looking at it now though and it looks like it would be right in my wheelhouse.

What can I say... except great list! I enjoyed it a lot and, as you know, many of your picks are in my top 100....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A very nice list: many of yours our in mine, but quite a few are not. Excellent diversity if I might say so.

A very nice list: many of yours our in mine, but quite a few are not. Excellent diversity if I might say so.
Speaking of your list, I can't seem to find it. *hint* *hint*!

Glad to meet another fan of both Time and Tide and No Such Things, two very cool and (I think) accessible films that don't get mentioned much. *)

I'm interested in how you chose to lump certain series together into one. For the Terminator trilogy I think that could make sense but for me the Alien movies each just come from film-makers with such different styles and sensibilities. On the other hand maybe the differences just make it interesting to view the series as a whole, since they are more or less a continuation of one story.

Glad to meet another fan of both Time and Tide and No Such Things, two very cool and (I think) accessible films that don't get mentioned much. *)

I'm interested in how you chose to lump certain series together into one. For the Terminator trilogy I think that could make sense but for me the Alien movies each just come from film-makers with such different styles and sensibilities. On the other hand maybe the differences just make it interesting to view the series as a whole, since they are more or less a continuation of one story.
It's a fair point, and I know to a certain extent it's a cop out to lump them all together, but I for the most part do consider them to be one, I can't remember the last time I sat down and just watched Aliens, I always watch them together or not at all. And, I agree the different styles of film makers do just add to the entire story for me in the Alien Quadrilogy and The Terminator trilogy. And honestly that's the main reason they are on my list, I'm not sure that any of them are really list worthy by themselves, with exception to maybe the first Alien and The Terminator, now if this were a Sci-fi list sure, they would be all over it. I'm not sure if I answered your question. Feel free to grill me and I'll try to make more sense.

That makes perfect sense to me. Especially this part:

but I for the most part do consider them to be one, I can't remember the last time I sat down and just watched Aliens, I always watch them together or not at all.
Strikes me as a valid point, especially since it's a personal list. I think it could be taken a little far (for example someone could come along and say, put all Stanley Kubrick movies in one slot because they're all stylistically interrelated or "there are no good films, just good film-makers" and I'd have to draw some sort of line there, but I pretty much agree with the above.) Also it's not a cop-out, because you can never have too many good movies. The 100 cutoff is completely arbitrary.

I also agree with this, mostly*:
I'm not sure that any of them are really list worthy by themselves, with exception to maybe the first Alien and The Terminator
*Aliens is also pretty awesome.

Strikes me as a valid point, especially since it's a personal list. I think it could be taken a little far (for example someone could come along and say, put all Stanley Kubrick movies in one slot because they're all stylistically interrelated or "there are no good films, just good film-makers" and I'd have to draw some sort of line there
Yeah , that's another very good point, especially if some of his films were a little more like 2 or 3 parters, I really appreciate his style myself so I'm more inclined almost to have a separate list just for his films and and others of his ilk. But like I said at the beginning I had no intention of making my own AFI type of list which is why their wasn't a Kubrick film that made the list.

*Aliens is also pretty awesome.
"They mostly come out at night... mostly"

great list, I have added a few to my fetch movies list

I was so excited when i saw Star Trek IV, most people like The Wrath of Khan I love IV I have lost count how many times I have watched it, I think it is so funny in parts

Tank Girl what can I say, Love it! one of my guilty pleasures

Nice list think i may have got too involved in it to remember to rep every post lol. Love seeing The Crow at #2!