I Am Legend

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
How in the hell do you even begin to say Children of Men has few survivors? There was no outbreak. No nuclear warhead went off. No comet hit earth. All that happened is one day people stopped having babies. Period.

When that happens, the amount of people on earth is the EXACT same number as it was the second before the last baby was born. And just for the record, that is about 6.7 billion people.

What in the universe is your measure of scale where a billion means a few? There were more people alive in the coffee shop at the beginning of Children of Men than in the entirety of I Am Legend.

You amaze me, Meatwad.

Originally Posted by OG-
No, you are wrong, Yoda. I Am Legend and Children of Men are not good examples of movies being about similar things, but invoking different feelings.
You're right; that comment came out a little goofy.

Originally Posted by OG-
COM is also not about a virus. It is also not about mutation. It is also not about science gone wrong. It is also not about isolation. It is also not about the last man on earth. it is also not about how people are closed out of England.
I agree with the last few sentences, but we really don't know about the first few. One of the movie's primary issues is just what caused the infertility, and theories abound throughout, covering most of the things you listed (and more). In that sense, I would say they do share one common, important theme: mankind bringing about its own potential destruction.

Also, though I don't agree with his conclusions, meatwad did not suggest that both were about people being closed off in England, but rather, being closed off in general. Both England and New York are surrounded by water, and that fact actually plays a not-insignificant role in both films.

I'm just shocked that more people aren't noting the similarities between I Am Legend and 28 Days Later. There are quite a few of those, both in plot AND in mood.

OG you just took everything way out of context - not to mention your wrong from the start : because you don't know how many people are at the "safe area"

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by OG-
My God. I don't know what is more staggering, the differences between the two, the complete lack of similarities or the fact that a human being with a brain at least functional enough to use a computer can correlate two completely unrelated concepts.
The last part of that has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long while. :laugh:

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite
OG you just took everything way out of context - not to mention your wrong from the start : because you don't know how many people are at the "safe area"
How did I take things out of context? How am I wrong from the start? And what does not knowing how many people are at the "safe area" have to do with anything? Hell, your argument requires less people to be there as the negative linear direction of the word less is tied to the linear direction of the word few.

Even if there were thousands there...hell, call it millions, still doesn't touch the billions in COM.

Ok, instead of continuing this in The Shoutbox I'm going to put it here so I can forever be remembered in all my glory(was that over the top?). Anywho, I really enjoyed the movie. I should probably preface this by saying that I have not read the book yet. So I don't have to compare it to the book every step of the way, and most likely that made it so I could enjoy the film more.

First off, the comparisons between I Am Legend and Children of Men are pretty silly. OG did a fine job of putting that argument to bed already so I won't go into it here. I will say that a better comparison is between this film and 28 Days Later, which Yoda already mentioned as well. A virus kills off billions of people and what's left are a few survivors and a bunch of mutated humaniods, that could in a general way describe both films.

I really liked the film. I was rooting for Neville, that may be because I'm just in the bag for Will Smith or more because he's a good actor. Either way he carried the film, and I hoped he would find the cure. There were some pretty good scares in the film as well, I've seen a lot of these types of films and if a movie can still make me jump just a bit, even when I know it's coming that's a plus in my book. Which it did.

WARNING: "I Am Legend" spoilers below
Even the inevitable death of Samantha the dog was hard to watch. And it should be shouldn't it? We love our pets and I wasn't at all surprised when it happened but that didn't make it easier to swallow.

The Dark Seekers were also pretty good, not great, they were a little blurry at times but they were ok.

I also enjoyed the ending, my wife didn't care for it but I thought it was fitting.

My life isn't written very well.
You know, a little off topic here, no one seems to notice that the last man on Earth is a black man! Now I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I do remember hearing that Duane Jones' character, Ben in Night of the Living Dead (1968) was highly controversial because of his ethnicity and his hero status in that film.
Just wondering does that play into I am Legend at all, or is it never touched upon that a black man is the last man on earth. It doesn't really matter, just thought it politically interesting.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

You know, a little off topic here, no one seems to notice that the last man on Earth is a black man! Now I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I do remember hearing that Duane Jones' character, Ben in Night of the Living Dead (1968) was highly controversial because of his ethnicity and his hero status in the film.
Just wondering does that play into I am Legend at all, or is it never touched upon that a black man is the last man on earth.
I don't remember it being mentioned at all.

You know, a little off topic here, no one seems to notice that the last man on Earth is a black man! Now I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I do remember hearing that Duane Jones' character, Ben in Night of the Living Dead (1968) was highly controversial because of his ethnicity and his hero status in the film.
Just wondering does that play into I am Legend at all, or is it never touched upon that a black man is the last man on earth.
Just curious, what does that have to do with anything?

My life isn't written very well.
Nothing really Powdered. I was just comparing two movies that are 40 years apart and somewhat similiar in theme, and the contrast between how an african American protagonist is looked at differently now as compared to then. See Bamboozled. I guess Chris says it's not even mentioned, therefore the story isn't as deep or political as I'm making it, and therefore moot. However (big strech coming) one could say Will Smith (Black) is being chased by zombies (White).

Yeah it doesn't get touched on most likely because that's not really the case. We are led to believe that Nevile (Smith's character) is the last man on earth. But later on we find out that this is not true.

I saw I Am Legend the day it came out, and again (unfortunately) so my friend could see it. If you read the book like I did, you can tell the only thing that's the same is the guy's name and the title. Putting the book aside, the film is entertaining and worth seeing yet I wouldn't pay to go the theaters again. The ending though was horrible.

I am being gracious and giving I Am Legend

Nothing really Powdered. I was just comparing two movies that are 40 years apart and somewhat similiar in theme, and the contrast between how an african American protagonist is looked at differently now as compared to then. See Bamboozled. I guess Chris says it's not even mentioned, therefore the story isn't as deep or political as I'm making it, and therefore moot. However (big strech coming) one could say Will Smith (Black) is being chased by zombies (White).
Yeah, no, that is never brought up. If anyone involved with the film claims that was intentional, they are being a jackass.

I am being gracious and giving I Am Legend
So, what changed? Originally you posted in the movie tab 4 out of 5 and now you have it 2.5 out of 5. And here you give it a 2. Just curious.

i liked the movie, was not happy with the ending (it just seems the typical way to end any epic scope movie nowadays), loved the acting, loved the fred scene, loved how cool newyork looked abandoned, hated the CG... i thought we were past bad CG but the mist and IAL have proved us all wrong... im still trying to figure out why they didn't use real actors for the dark seekers? 4 out of 5

How did I take things out of context?
I had talked how they were similar through the events that happened throughout the film - you compared their themes and what the movie is actually about (that no-one ever said were the same thing).