City Lights and a couple of other things.

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
In case you didn't know, only a few of you did, I've started teaching high school English. For my Language Arts II class one of the items in my curriculum map is to study non-verbal communication. For this I had them act in a skit. After that I wanted them to watch a silent film, so I chose Charlie Chaplin's City Lights.

I was very pleased that they enjoyed it. They went into the film thinking it would be horrible because not only was it in black and white, but also it was silent!!

Fortunately they really got into it and I commented on things throughout the film and had them write their essays. Right now I'm taking a break from grading to post on MoFo, but I was pleased with how they turned out. I had them revolved their thesis on how Chaplin non-verbally interacts with characters within the film, while reaching out to his audience.

City Lights is of course a great film and I don't really need to comment on the ending. Any other fans of it here? I know there's at least one because of the "look" thread.

Also www.moviejustice.com is closed down permanently. We simply didn't have the involvement level or activity on the forums like we needed. This is very ironic because traffic was at an all time high. Fortunately the webmaster, 10k, isn't scraping the site, but revamping and revisioning it to be more of a social network type of a deal. More Myspace and less Rottentomatoes. IT will be over at www.justiceave.com for anyone who's interested. It probably won't open until January. Just a heads up. I know several of you on here posted there including mark f, Holden, and rufnek.

SO yes I'll be over here at MoFo more than I have traditionally been and make this my home for movie talk needs. Glad to be here. Of course I have been here for many years. Five or so, but have posted off and on.

But back to City Lights...

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey, viddy, I'm happy to see you around here. I've only been here for about seven weeks, but I feel like I'm surrounded by a nurturing family. I used City Lights at a school I taught at too, and it did elicit some excellent responses, so I hope you can carry on from it. What film is next on tap for what lesson?

I'm guessing you want to change subjects, but this is a good one to use as a follow-up to the previous.

I almost said I would have liked to have had you two as a teacher… but then realized all the rather risqué jokes a certain Devil would probably make out of that statement… so I will just say I love Chaplin and City Lights is #58 in my top 100...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I almost said I would have liked to have had you two as a teacher… but then realized all the rather risqué jokes a certain Devil would probably make out of that statement… so I will just say I love Chaplin and City Lights is #58 in my top 100...
Always remember, I am innocent.

I've never seen City Lights but will do so now that you've piqued my interest, viddy.

Put me in your pocket...
City Lights is of course a great film and I don't really need to comment on the ending. Any other fans of it here?
Welcome back Viddy.

Yes, I'm also a fan of City Lights. There are so many wonderful moments in it it...and of course that lovely ending. City Lights was the first Chaplin movie I introduced my kids to. My son loves the boxing scene...such great fun. Now he's hooked on Chaplin in general.

Are you planning more silent movies for your class?

Originally Posted by Aniko
Now he's hooked on Chaplin in general.

No, no: that was Keaton in The General.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
No we won't watch any other silent film in there. It just fit into the unit. It was the only film we watched and probably will be until March when we watch To Kill a Mockingbird.

My short stories class on the other hand, watches film quite often. SO far we've watched...

Riki-Tikki-Tavi
Stagecoach
Brazil
Rosemary's Baby

We're also about ready to watch Do The Right Thing.

Oh and of course my mass media class watched Citizen Kane.