Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
The Big Sleep is my favorite Bogie/Bacall. Check out Key Largo and Dark Passage, see if you like those a bit more. None of the dialogue touches The Big Sleep, IMO.

That said, Ray Chandler himself had trouble following along in The Big Sleep. Not the most watertight narrative.

Gotta love the vibe, tho... great ****!

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Hey, don't forget To Have and Have Not! You know how to whistle, Sedai?

incredible film, i recently bought the 'bogey and bacall' boxset and so far the only one ive seen is this one.

'You ever get stung by a dead bee?'

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
SiCKO (Michael Moore, 2007)

This flick creeps up on you until you have to just say WTF? too many times. Yes, it's a Moore film, so it has an agenda. Does he skew the total picture? I don't know, but I'm sure he probably does. Is what he presents mostly the true state of the way things are, politics aside? I also think that's a yes, especially for the people involved. Is it an entertaining, humorous, yet maddening discussion of a topic well-worth watching? You betcha. The stuff in Cuba is frosting on the cake.

I'm pretty sure I've had a few nightmares like this. A hundred and eight minutes of absolute terror. Haneke toys with your emotions mercilessly and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I loved it when he says in the extra documentary on the Kino DVD version, "If you stayed until the end, you needed to be tortured". I'm not sure if I needed to go through this, but I certainly stayed until the end...spectacular performance from Susanne Lothar. A thought occurred to me during the film that she gives Naomi Watts a run for her money...and then I go on IMDB and to my great shock find out that Haneke has done a remake...with none other than Naomi Watts. That aside, for the life of me I can't understand why. From what I've read about it, it's almost identical to the original (I also thought Frank Giering reminded me a little of Michael Pitt, and lo and behold, he's in the film too). The immediate thought was, Spoorloos, although Haneke's reputation is far greater than his Dutch colleague). I'm not sure what the (artistic) motivation behind doing the same exact thing twice (only in different languages) is...isn't he a bit too serious of an author for something like that?*bemused*

In any case, now I really want to see everything he's made (plus Caché for the second time because it left me with a bitter taste of unresolved issues the first time around).

I'm pretty sure I've had a few nightmares like this. A hundred and eight minutes of absolute terror. Haneke toys with your emotions mercilessly and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I loved it when he says in the extra documentary on the Kino DVD version, "If you stayed until the end, you needed to be tortured". I'm not sure if I needed to go through this, but I certainly stayed until the end...spectacular performance from Susanne Lothar. A thought occurred to me during the film that she gives Naomi Watts a run for her money...and then I go on IMDB and to my great shock find out that Haneke has done a remake...with none other than Naomi Watts. That aside, for the life of me I can't understand why. From what I've read about it, it's almost identical to the original (I also thought Frank Giering reminded me a little of Michael Pitt, and lo and behold, he's in the film too). The immediate thought was, Spoorloos, although Haneke's reputation is far greater than his Dutch colleague). I'm not sure what the (artistic) motivation behind doing the same exact thing twice only in different languages...isn't he a bit too serious of an author for something like that?*bemused*
I watched Funny Games a few weeks back, pretty good if a bit pretentious, and not as good as Hidden imo. Funnily enough had a lecture on him the other day, think part of the remake's motivation is how Haneke in his films critiques the desensitisation of audiences, particularly American- a theme quite obvious in Funny Games with Brechtian devices and questions of audience complicity in the violence so a to allow the film to reach the audience he's criticising guess a remake does that. Very curious as to how it will received, as it is shot for shot from what i've heard as well, imagine a lot of people are going to be disappointed, expecting a gorno flick. Irony is, people who understand the point are the people who'd see the original though.

Oh, and adi- saw you edited, Seventh Continent is HARD work for the viewer, i gave up with it in the end. I have The Piano Teacher but yet to watch- like seeing another Haneke fan, even if i'm not entirely convinced by him.

Why would you say it's pretentious? I thought it was very straight forward...mind you, I saw the extra documentary where he explains the intention of the film word for word (basically what you mentioned). But even without that (and the "obvious" tools which were supposed to make us more aware of the fact that we are accomplices), I thought it was an amazing horror film, one that managed to frighten/disturb me far more than any Asian or subsequent American remake ghost story ever could have.

A system of cells interlinked
Labyrinth (Henson, 1986)

Wow. AM I glad I picked this up in the bargain bin for 4 bucks. The nostalgia! I had always shied away from buying this flick, leaving it to memory of an easier time, a younger time. I thought that, if I watched it now, it would seem silly and childish, ruining some of the fond memories. This thing has held up after all these years, with all the heart and fun I remember.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Labyrinth (Henson, 1986)

Wow. AM I glad I picked this up in the bargain bin for 4 bucks. The nostalgia! I had always shied away from buying this flick, leaving it to memory of an easier time, a younger time. I thought that, if I watched it now, it would seem silly and childish, ruining some of the fond memories. This thing has held up after all these years, with all the heart and fun I remember.
That may be true, but you also love the young Jennifer Connelly, no shame in that.

Kill, Baby...Kill! (Mario Bava, 1966)

This is Bava's stylistic masterpiece, at least of all the ones I've seen. True, it's similar in many ways to the best of Corman's Poe adaptations, but this film is far more single-minded than either Tomb of Ligeia or The Masque of the Red Death. It's not that the flick is original storywise, but it's gripping and holds your interest even though you can predict what will happen. When you can do that and still be entertained, you know you are in the presence of a master. Bava's use of lighting and sets is comparable to anyone you want to call the best in this non-stop atmospheric, low-budget flick.

Thank you to OG for recommending this, I probably never would have heard of it otherwise. A very clever little SF drama with absolutely no special effects, that touches upon everything from biology to morals and religion through a discussion about immortality...clever and at times quite educational. And it didn't do any harm that the main character was uber sexylicious...

Not as entertaining as I thought it would be. I love Cary Elwes, he has immense comedic talent which was underused in this film. Plus, for an 80's fantasy, it's a little lacking in that department. Oh and Robin Wright Penn does a terrible British accent (actually, is there any American actor that does a decent job at that?) and I couldn't understand 90% of what Montoya and Fezzik were saying (no subtitles...), so I'm sure I missed a few clever jokes.