Movies people can't like without losing your respect

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Same as Yoda's thread, only reversed.

Following his example - supposing you're with someone, they say they like BLANK, but you hate BLANK with a passion, and can't stand people who like it.

What's BLANK?

So many good movies, so little time.
Gone with the Wind (1939)

Its not that I won't respect them, its just that I think they miss the point of the movie (which I did for many years). The movie is a defense and a tribute to the Plantation System of the Old South.

When Big Sam says

"And he (Scarlett's father) had a fit when they took all us field hands to dig a ditch for the white soldiers to hide in. But your Ma says the Confederacy needs us, so we goin' to dig for the South."
"Goodbye Miss Scarlett. Don't worry. We stop them Yankees."

the movie is really saying that the slaves were happy the way they were until the interfering Yankees stepped in.

It is currently #6 in theAFI list of greatest American movies and I think it should be removed.

I enjoy watching it because I find it interesting, but I also consider it an evil movie. Would the AFI put a movie on its list extolling the virtues of Nazi Germany? I think not.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I expect Pan's Labyrinth to be mentioned though i haven't seen it.

I just let people enjoy what they like, no need to criticise and destroy their happiness by picking apart movies.

Its not that I won't respect them, its just that I think they miss the point of the movie (which I did for many years). The movie is a defense and a tribute to the Plantation System of the Old South.

When Big Sam says

"And he (Scarlett's father) had a fit when they took all us field hands to dig a ditch for the white soldiers to hide in. But your Ma says the Confederacy needs us, so we goin' to dig for the South."
"Goodbye Miss Scarlett. Don't worry. We stop them Yankees."

the movie is really saying that the slaves were happy the way they were until the interfering Yankees stepped in.

It is currently #6 in theAFI list of greatest American movies and I think it should be removed.

I enjoy watching it because I find it interesting, but I also consider it an evil movie. Would the AFI put a movie on its list extolling the virtues of Nazi Germany? I think not.

Thank you.... I hate Gone With the Wind…. it's racist… and as you stated, nothing more than a tribute to the Plantation/Slavery system in the Old South… and has been responsible for perpetrating an erroneous view, a myth if you will, of how the majority of Southerners lived… and as for it being a great romance -- excuse me?

About the only good thing that came out of that movie, IMO, was the line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.".

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I don't think I would lose respect for someone based on their liking a single movie. Many of us have "guilty pleasures," so to judge someone on how they feel about a single film does them a disservice. I mean if all someone knew about me was that I like Tank Girl or Beverly Hills Ninja (two of my guilty pleasures) without also being aware that I love Casablanca and everything I've ever seen by Akira Kurosawa, they might come away with a different impression of me than if they had that additional information.

I will admit that I think a little less of people who prefer dubbed movies to those with subtitles, though.

White Chicks, Little Man and there's another awful movie similar to those that's escaped me. I will literally stop talking to people and walk away if they quote them as anything near to good.

Haha, I have to confess that I actually like the first two Scary Movies and 'Don't be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood'. I even would go so far as to say that I prefer them to both Airplane movies and every Mel Brooks film that I've seen (and that includes Blazing Saddles the 12 Chairs and Young Frankenstein, not that I dislike those movies, they're ok too). Wouldn't watch White Chicks again but I didn't turn it off when it came on tv about a year ago. Laughed once or twice too. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is pretty great. Oh well.

I'm trying to think of a movie that if someone said they liked it I would lose respect for them. I don't know, guess it might depend on how strongly they feel about it. As of a couple years ago my younger bro's favorite movie was Team America, but I didn't hold it against him because I figured he hadn't seen too many movies. Yep , now he's 16 and he still likes that but also likes better stuff: 2001, The Seven Samurai, The Prestige, Blade Runner, Tampopo. I think his current fave might be Sunshine, which I think is not a bad pick at all.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
There is a scene in "The Office" when the office workers are playing Desert Island. Pam names the three movies she would have on a desert island but starts with Legally Blonde. Jim replies, "It's not a three guilty pleasures list!" I think that sums up this thread. If someone told me White Chicks was his or her favorite movie, I would lose respect.

You Got Served

I don't hate Pan's Labyrinth but don't understand the charm of it (maybe cause it was all done better before in for instance Labyrinth and contained too much unecessary violence). Same with some really suppose to be classics like Rear window (staring at a building for 2 hours). Psycho (woo scary), The maltese falcon etc. I was just dissapointed by these i guess.

I don't hate Pan's Labyrinth but don't understand the charm of it (maybe cause it was all done better before in for instance Labyrinth and contained too much unecessary violence). Same with some really suppose to be classics like Rear window (staring at a building for 2 hours). Psycho (woo scary), The maltese falcon etc. I was just dissapointed by these i guess.
Wow....just...wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. I admit that my first thought was to wonder how old you are, and my second thought was that you're being a troll and just trying to get a rise out of me.

I want to write more, but I'm at work. Maybe at lunch time.

Again, I don't care either way.
If someone I knew, seriously had problems with me, just because I loved a certain movie, I would duct-tape them to my couch, toothpick their eyes open, and make them watch it 100 times.
Seriously!

A system of cells interlinked
I'll do it Prospero, I have a few minutes and I am pretty irate today.

They ARE classics. All three movies you listed are fantastic seminal pieces of film. Sorry, but Rear Window is anything but staring at a building for two hours. Maybe you had the sound off. Also, Psycho is a suspense film, and isn't supposed to be scary. Psycho is an absolute masterpiece. This is HITCHCOCK here we are talking about.

Say, this gives me my answer for Yoda's thread. Because anyone that doesn't at least see the incredible vision and craftsmanship of Psycho on a technical level, just doesn't get it.

Labyrinth? While a fun 80s flick, the thing is silly. Come on man, Pan's Labyrinth has absolutely nothing in common with Labyrinth, except they both have the same word in the title. Two completely different films. Also, the violence in PL was absolutely necessary, because it illustrated just how horrible that time, and through the influences of that time, the character was. A brilliant piece of visceral cinema. It made you feel yukky because it was supposed to...

As for liking a film that I would consider rubbish:

White Chicks, Dumb and Dumberer, Ghost Rider, or any flash in the pan SNL skit movie starring any number of D-list comedians like Norm MacDonald et al....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

You can't lose respect for someone who likes something you say you enjoy watching yourself, surely?

What about Birth of a Nation - also an unacceptably racist film, but also considered a technical masterpiece. (Michael Corleone did a good review of it not long ago.)

I also think that it is possible to separate what the characters in the movie say and believe from the movie itself. Racist characters do not necessarily make a racist movie.

Personally I don't like Kill Bill at all. I wouldn't necessarily lose respect for someone who liked it, but I did lose a bit of respect for a friend who during a discussion of it seemed to think that a girl in a short skirt fighting and getting splattered with blood was a plus point in the movie, when this was exactly what irritated me about it.

So many good movies, so little time.
You can't lose respect for someone who likes something you say you enjoy watching yourself, surely?

What about Birth of a Nation - also an unacceptably racist film, but also considered a technical masterpiece. (Michael Corleone did a good review of it not long ago.)

I also think that it is possible to separate what the characters in the movie say and believe from the movie itself. Racist characters do not necessarily make a racist movie.
The topic was "Movies people can't like". I don't like the movie Gone with the Wind because I think it is racist. I enjoy watching it because I think it is interesting that such a racist movie is one of the most beloved movies in America. I like watching the techniques that were used to persuade the audience of its message.
There is no doubt that Birth of a Nation is also a racist movie. If someone admires it from a technical point of view, that is one thing. If someone admires its message than I can't respect them.
The same holds true for GWTW for me. It's not that there are racist characters. It is that the movie is a propaganda piece extolling the virtues and civility of the Old South under the plantation system. If someone admires the love story, the colors, the music, the scenery .. I can understand it. If someone admires the message it is trying to get across, I can't respect them.

Welcome to the human race...
As for liking a film that I would consider rubbish:

White Chicks, Dumb and Dumberer, Ghost Rider, or any flash in the pan SNL skit movie starring any number of D-list comedians like Norm MacDonald et al....
I second that.

The kind of thing that really annoys me is when a movie comes out and just about everyone between the ages of 9 and 29 will jump on it, memorise every line and quote them ad nauseum whenever possible. The worst offender in that case is Anchorman, although Borat runs a close second. While I don't exactly hate either, I can't stand people who think that quoting them repeatedly proves anything. It proves you're a sheep, really.

One honourable mention has to go to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Although I actually like Fear and Loathing, I notice that a lot of other teenagers like it, mainly because it's about Johnny Depp taking lots of drugs and driving fast cars and going crazy. It's a pity, because I'm a fan of Thompson and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is my favourite book, so it disappoints me when teenagers just don't get the movie because they concentrate on the trippiness. Then again, the movie doesn't really explore the themes of the book all that well, so who knows. At least I have the book.