MoFo Lists

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Lord no! Not bloody 'There were no films before Star Wars' Empire!
It is common knowledge that there were no films before Star Wars, and if you think there were, it is because you are a snob. Also, if a film is adapted from a comic book, it automatically merits at least 3 times the coverage of any other film, usually months if not years before it comes out (followed by a slightly disappointed 3 star review when it does, before never being heard of again). It is also obvious that Quentin Tarantino and Ridley Scott are masters of cinema (Stanley who?), and that arthouse movies are only worth watching for the nudity. Sex and violence always improve a movie. Sequels are more interesting than original films, and oh yeah, don't forget that comic book adaptations are more interesting than anything else.*

*according to Empire magazine...

Thanks for the links, guys. Those are great selections and I'll look into getting them added shortly. Interesting about, about combining the two Sight & Sound lists. I'll have to think that over a bit. Anyone feel strongly either way about the idea?

Anyway, thought you all might want to know that there's a new list for ya'll to fill out:More coming over the next week.

Hey, quick update guys: there've been a few scattered movies which were inserted into the database twice, so if you saw a film unchecked that you know you'd checked before, don't worry about it, it's temporary.

Anyone who updated the Film4 list shortly after I posted it might want to do so again, as well, in case you checked off one of the movies in question. If any of you want to hold off until the issue is fully resolved, though, I'll be sure to post an update here when I've sorted it out.

But do as you wish
That's OK. I will mark them as seen. Then I will simply post here, and complain, when movies like Titanic and Braveheart make the list.

Nope, I haven't. I think I saw a scene or two of the new Psycho flipping around, but that's about it.
One scene is all it takes. He was really excited, in that scene . . .

Okay, the duplicates should be weeded out, and all references to them should be updated, so everyone's list should be accurate. The only lingering effects is that the updates themselves (under the "Recent Updates" heading) will be incomplete. So, if you see that so-and-so "added 8 movies," and you only see 4 on the list, that's why.

I've written a script to check for subtle duplicates that I'll be running after each list and improving over time.

Sorry about the temporary buginess, MoFos.

I have a very strict definition of what constitues "seen." If I've seen most of a film, or saw it a very long time ago and have forgotten some of it, I usually won't check it off. That accounts for part of it; under a looser standard, I can spot maybe another dozen that I could conceivably check off, but it would bug me if I did.

That said, I simply haven't been exposed to a lot of British cinema to begin with. I wouldn't think it would be too shocking, though. We see the same sort of thing with lots of British MoFos, most of whom seem to have rather low percentages for the "100 Laughs" series. I generally just chalk these sorts of things up to availability and ease of access, as the majority of movies I've seen are a) on television, or b) rentals.

I have a very strict definition of what constitues "seen." If I've seen most of a film, or saw it a very long time ago and have forgotten some of it, I usually won't check it off. That accounts for part of it; under a looser standard, I can spot maybe another dozen that I could conceivably check off, but it would bug me if I did.

That said, I simply haven't been exposed to a lot of British cinema to begin with. I wouldn't think it would be too shocking, though. We see the same sort of thing with lots of British MoFos, most of whom seem to have rather low percentages for the "100 Laughs" series. I generally just chalk these sorts of things up to availability and ease of access, as the majority of movies I've seen are a) on television, or b) rentals.

I'm the same, there's quite a few films i know i've seen but can't remember enough to warrant ticking them and even own like 10% of each list on DVD but some of the BFI ones i thought were quite accessible and films most people have seen, regardless of nationality- Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, Life of Brian, Dr No, Brazil, Goldfinger, A Clockwork Orange; i was shocked you hadn't seen them. Not meant to be a personal attack, just as site owner you're on the pedestool and i demand you fix this by the end of the week.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It is common knowledge that there were no films before Star Wars, and if you think there were, it is because you are a snob. Also, if a film is adapted from a comic book, it automatically merits at least 3 times the coverage of any other film, usually months if not years before it comes out (followed by a slightly disappointed 3 star review when it does, before never being heard of again). It is also obvious that Quentin Tarantino and Ridley Scott are masters of cinema (Stanley who?), and that arthouse movies are only worth watching for the nudity. Sex and violence always improve a movie. Sequels are more interesting than original films, and oh yeah, don't forget that comic book adaptations are more interesting than anything else.*

*according to Empire magazine...
Love it!

Edit: I have that one but have yet to see it. I'm kinda apprehensive about older comedies, even if they come from Kubrick.
I just watched it a little while ago. It was great.

Just curious, don't know if it's been brought up, but would it be possible to put members individual 100's? Or at least the MoFo 100?
You ruined my surprise. Yes, at some point I want to allow people to add their own Top 100s. I'll keep these somewhat separate from the other lists, of course, but this is definitely something I want to do before long.

You ruined my surprise. Yes, at some point I want to allow people to add their own Top 100s. I'll keep these somewhat separate from the other lists, of course, but this is definitely something I want to do before long.
But.....

I'm gonna have seen all of my 100 favourite movies, haven't I?

Seriously though, I'm not even gonna fill out this latest list. I think the AFI and BFI 100s would have been sufficient.

I'm not trying to have a go Chris but one of the reasons I hate Empire magazine (and I was a subscriber too, who was there from issue #1) are the endless flipping lists. Is it better to glibly gloss over 100 films or write with passion at length about 10?

The MoFo personal 100 lists are a different matter, though. I'm all for including a link to them.

Welcome to the human race...
Try adding in the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list if possible. Now that would be truly interesting.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not trying to have a go Chris but one of the reasons I hate Empire magazine (and I was a subscriber too, who was there from issue #1) are the endless flipping lists. Is it better to glibly gloss over 100 films or write with passion at length about 10?
I love lists. I agree that endless lists are a lazy way to fill a magazine, but I don't necessarily think that having top 100 lists and writing with passion at length are mutually exclusive.

I like lists, if they are meaningful, and not just some random person's opinion (no disrespect to mofo's personal 100 lists which I also find interesting), because they help me to choose what to watch.

I know some people think you should just watch what appeals to you, but there are just so many films out there, some great, some awful, that it helps to have some guidance.

In the last couple of weeks I have watched about nine films directly as a result of these lists, some of which I wouldn't perhaps have got around to otherwise. And you know what, all have been good films.

As long as lists don't replace reviews and in depth discussion, the more the better!

If this gets me called a snob then I guess I'll just have to stick my nose in the air and sneer but the only 'poll' lists I'll even give the time of day are those contributed to by critics.

Any of these 'the public decides' efforts degenerate into Star Wars, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, Shaving Ryan's Privates, Pulp Fiction etc etc lowest common denominator boredom. The lone voice in the wilderness is ignored in favour of the baying mob.

Consequently, this is why I love the personal MoFo 100 lists. Lists generated through passion, not ill-informed consensus (and, before anyone asks - I'd much rather have ill-informed passion, than consensus).

In my benevolent dictatorship I'd have an AFI 100, a BFI 100 and whatever 100 Non-English language films list that can be found to convince me to trust the author(s). I've clicked on a few MoFo lists and the drop-down has bruised me knee...

Comrade Tat, signing off.