What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Eyes Wide Shut
12 Angry Men
Sunset Boulevard
Deep Space Nine
S3

SERGIO LEONE ANTHOLOGY
  • A Fistful of Dollars SPECIAL EDITION
  • For A Few Dollars More SPECIAL EDITION
  • The Good, the Bad & the Ugly SPECIAL EDITION
  • Duck, You Sucker! SPECIAL EDITION

36 Hours

The Hill

Maxed Out

"Seinfeld" SEASON EIGHT
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

36 Hours (1965 - George Seaton) is a solid psychological thriller with an interesting premise. Jim Garner plays an American Intelligence Officer stationed in London as part of the panning for D-Day. He has intimate knowledge of all the plans, and though they realize it's dangerous he makes a regular trip to Portugal just days ahead of the invasion, to keep up appearances that D-Day possibly isn't imminent. The Nazis of course know it is imminent, but don't know the where or when of the landing. They kidnap Garner's Major Jefferson Pike in Lisbon. But rather than try the usual torture and interrogation techniques, they go through an elaborate ruse: Pike wakes up in a hospital where everybody speaks English, including his therapist, played by Rod Taylor. They convince him that although he's only been out for a few hours that it is in fact 1950, the Allies won the war in 1944, and he now suffers from amnesia and has been hospitalized at this special clinic to try and recapture his memory. They hope if he believes it is 1950 that he will casually reel off the details of the invasion that is still days away from actually happening.

Pretty clever, well constructed and well acted, especially by Garner and Taylor. Eva Marie Saint plays a Concentration Camp survivor being forced to help the Nazis with their elaborate subterfuge by romancing Garner. Good piece from the '60s that has gotten lost in the shuffle over the years. This marks its debut on DVD.

The SE of GB&U was released last year, but the others just finally came out now. Yes. I know they were released everywhere else a while ago. I held off getting them until R1, though.

Well, trust R1s are as nice a package as they are in R2. Guess they've put on more features over the time delay...

Holden, I estimate that you spent about $147 this week on DVDs, unless there's any others you haven't mentioned. Maybe less (I assume you go to places that sell at a good price).

Oh my god... I spent $26 on a DVD that's $10.99 on Amazon.com

Sexy's ------>

I added up what Ive bought this year...over 200 DVD's...
I don't even want to add it up money spent wise...

Horrorphiliac

Aspiring actor/Budding *******
"Army Of Darkness" Because you can never have too much Cambell.

"Dukes of Hazzard the beginning" Eh I liked the orginal Dukes.
"Stargate seasons one and two"
Party of five seasons one and two
Mash seasons ten and eleven

My Choice
Munich

The Mrs Choice
X-Men 3
Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Just My Luck

4 for £20 at WH Smiths
Umm I see why you need to separate the choices

A system of cells interlinked
The Fountain (Arnofsky, 2006)

I am broke, and I told myself I wouldn't buy any more DVDs for a while, but I had to spring for this, as it is a super personal film for me and I just MUST own it. Amazing stuff, and one of my favorite film experiences of the last few years...

The Fountain (Arnofsky, 2006)

I am broke, and I told myself I wouldn't buy any more DVDs for a while, but I had to spring for this, as it is a super personal film for me and I just MUST own it. Amazing stuff, and one of my favorite film experiences of the last few years...
great to hear Sedai, Ive been waiting until I heard opinions from people I know before I went and bought it...loved Pi and Requiem, but I wasn't sure about this new one...cheers