Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

These are my picks.

1) Usual Suspects - this film is just not that entertaining. Kevin Spacey is the single most overrated actor I have ever seen. What is so great about this guy? It's like he projects an aura of pretentiousness or smugness that is far greater than what his character demands. He was not convincing in this role. Not as the dupe, anyways. But it had a fun ending.

2) Pulp Fiction - I never thought this film was too exciting. It had slick dialogue, but to me, that just made it seem even more unrealistic. Never understood how this film greatly overshadowed the ultra-intense True Romance , written by Tarantino.

3) The Fugitive - this movie was boring and uninspired. I remember the year it won the Oscar for Tommy Lee Jones for supporting actor. I thought Malkovich should have won for a superior and underrated In the Line of Fire .

4) The Silence of the Lambs - overall, this was a riveting and daring film. But sweeping the top 4? How can Hopkins win an Oscar for a role that demands zero emotion? I'm still wondering about that one.

5) The English Patient - a boring epic which thought itself too clever.

6) As Good as it Gets - someone please tell me why this movie got such rave reviews and attention? Did someone tell Helen hunt she can act?

7) Erin Brockovich - Julia Roberts in an emotionally charged liberal wet-dream. Which means it was very loosely based on its true life accounts.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
The Matrix.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Usual Suspects is hardly overrated...

Very good movie..
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Sorry spudracer, I see you have U.S. as your 3rd fave.

If it makes you feel any better, I think LA Confidential is a sterling film achievement. It's not one of my faves, but it is an all around excellent film. One of the best in history, despite Spacey's presence.

As is Pulp Fiction.
That film is king.

And, isn't there another thread on this somewhere anyway??

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I wouldn't go as far as calling As Good As It Gets overrated.

It's still one of my favourite comedies.

In no way is the Silence of the Lambs overrated. Its just plain good.

My overrated list is bound to piss off a lot of people. OH WELL!

1. Fargo
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Raging Bull
4. Goodfellas
5. The Godfather - This one I like, but the best of them all? I don't get it. "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Is that really one of the best lines of all time? Oooook. I've heard several superior lines in Police Academy movies.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
It doesn't piss me off.......your opinion, I guess.

I disagree with Fargo and Raging Bull.

Perhaps Fargo received a little more acclaim than it deserved.

But regarding Goodfellas, for now I say it is overrated, as I saw it when I was about 12, and don't remember it being that great.
I think I may have to see it again to decide. So for now it remains undecided

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
And, isn't there another thread on this somewhere anyway??
Do you mean Pulp Fiction or Overrated movies? There is an Underrated movies thread.

Karl, I have a feeling your list is going to hit some nerves here. It's alright, not everyone likes the same movies.

Originally posted by Karl Childers
1) Usual Suspects - this film is just not that entertaining. Kevin Spacey is the single most overrated actor I have ever seen. What is so great about this guy? It's like he projects an aura of pretentiousness or smugness that is far greater than what his character demands. He was not convincing in this role. Not as the dupe, anyways. But it had a fun ending.

5) The English Patient - a boring epic which thought itself too clever.

6) As Good as it Gets - someone please tell me why this movie got such rave reviews and attention? Did someone tell Helen hunt she can act?

7) Erin Brockovich - Julia Roberts in an emotionally charged liberal wet-dream. Which means it was very loosely based on its true life accounts.
I agree with these choices, except I don't think Spacey is overrated. He's a terrific actor. Also, I thought Helen Hunt's performance in As Good as it Gets was the best part of the movie, & she deserved her Oscar.

The other movies on your list I enjoyed at varying degrees. You seem to have a problem with movies that aren't "realistic." Why is that?

B&W
Doesn't anyone think Titanic sucked?

crap, that was one boring very movie!

B&W
crap, that was one boring very movie!
I mean, that was one very boring movie!

lol

Rocky

Rocky: I can't beat him. But that don't bother me. The only thing I want to do is to go the distance, that's all. Because if that bell rings and I'm still standing, then I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I wasn't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Your still a bum in my book

Just to help back up my claims.

I typically don't like movies that aim for the gut. I typically don't like movies that are made to be mere eye candy.
I usually enjoy movies that aim for the intellect.

Based on this position, movies like Goodfellas, and especially Raging Bull, cannot be considered overrated. They are both true life accounts, and are both created with the utmost attention to detail. They are brilliant because everything portrayed is real. The interaction between characters is believable but riveting.....and above all else, understated.

Example: There were three key scenes in Goodfellas, scattered evenly throughtout the film, where a secondary character, Carbone, is portrayed as a bumbling, nervous, reluctant witness to three key murders: the "Spider" scene; the "Stacks" scene; and the "Maurey" scene. In each scene, following each murder, he is seen as slightly perturbed about the death. Yet it is never overstated. It is just one single example of an infinite layer of angles, stories, personalities and stark realism throughtout the film, and the films of Scorsese in general.

I would like to see other filmmakers, like Tarantino or Ritchie, pull off this level of subtlety. Heck, I would even like Hitchcock to pull it off.

A beautiful mind
The Jazz Singer

As for The Usual suspects i thought it was underrated, no oscar award nominations for best pic or anything.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

yeah thats basically what it is though, movies that just didnt do it for are a lot of times in your mind overrated.

I also think it is important to add that just because a movie is not nominated for an academy award, does not mean it cannot be considered overrated.

I see many movies that get a noticeable amount of critical acclaim, and/or achieve a "cult" status among moviegoers. The Usual Suspects is a perfect example of the latter primarily, and the former secondarily. And these movies frequently do not receive Oscar consideration.

In fact, I would be willing to look more closely at a film that achieves a huge amount of cult status, and is ignored by the Oscars, as an overrated movie, than one that would be the obverse of this condition. I think the moviegoers quite frequently hold more sway over the critics when it comes to deciding history's lasting films. Films that stand out in our pop culture landscape.

I prefer to think that a film that wins an Oscar but everyone doesn't want to watch is an overrated film.

It depends.
Critically overrated?
Commerically overrated?