Saddest movie you have seen

Tools    

the champ
imitatioin

Movie Forums Extra
i'd say the Elephant Man becuase it is based on a true story and its very sad

One that almost got me was City of Angels. The thought of giving up everything to be with someone only to have them taken from you.

Some others that choked me up a bit were...

The Sixth Sense - where the kid tells his mom about her mother coming to see her dance.

Man on Fire - the sacrifice he made.

Boys Don't Cry - for obvious reasons.

For the Love of the Game - This one had a couple spots that got to me.

Gone With the Wind. There are SO many times in that movie I found myself sobbing uncontrollably.

And I know nobody's gonna agree with me on this one, but Closer made me cry like no other.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
The Yearling
Old Yeller
The Last of the Mohicans
Million Dollar Baby
He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not

I'm adding Blood Diamond to my list….

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The notebook and A.I - when she dumped him in the woods with the teddy I was filling up!
Lady, have you read "The Notebook," the novel on which the film was based? The book focuses much more on the elderly couple, while the film seemed (to me, at least) to linger more on the flashbacks to their youth. This is most obvious in the ending of the movie where the old couple get in bed on the night of the anniversary and are found there clothed and dead the next morning.

However, the book ends with her unbuttoning her husband's shirt and saying, "Where have you been? I've missed you so much." Which supports his claim all along that she sometimes recovered memory although the doctors said she couldn't. Guess what bugged me most about the movie is that Hollywood figures today's youthful audiences think the only reason an old man and an old woman get in bet together is to die. At 64, I can testify that ain't so!

If you liked "The Notebook" as a film, you'll really enjoy the book and its sequel, "The Wedding."

Many years ago I took my daughter to see "The Jungle Book." Near the end, there's a scene of the bear, the boy's protector, lying apparently dead after a fight with the tiger. I looked over at my little girl in the seat beside me, and big ol' tears were rolling down her cheeks. That was the saddest moment ever in film for me.

Many years ago I took my daughter to see "The Jungle Book." Near the end, there's a scene of the bear, the boy's protector, lying apparently dead after a fight with the tiger. I looked over at my little girl in the seat beside me, and big ol' tears were rolling down her cheeks. That was the saddest moment ever in film for me.
Awww

The Titanic
http://www.clearvisionstudios.com

The Adventure Starts Here!
mDot, wow! Someone else thinks The Elephant Man was the saddest movie! I do too! I first saw it in the theater when it was new (way back when), ALONE because nobody else could go with me that day. To this day I can't watch that movie without bawling my eyes out:

-- the scene where Treeves' wife meets John for the first time
-- the scene where they give John the dressing case (inspiring and sad at the same time)
-- the scene where John goes to the opera
-- the scene where John has been kidnapped and is far away in the circus with the dwarves

Most inspiring:
-- the scene where John recites the 23rd Psalm
-- the scene where they tell John the rooms are his home

It's a total emotional roller coaster. Love that movie.

p29
requim for a dream

the colour purple

Mississipi Burning

Schindlers list

East is East

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Green Mile

I'll be surprised if no one has already mentioned My Life w/Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. That is the ULTIMATE tear jerker and probably the saddest movie ever made.

Plot: Bob is dying of cancer. His wife, Gail, is expecting their first child. With a prognosis of only a few months of life left, Bob decides to record just about every aspect of his life on video tape.

Reign over me I wouldn't classify as the saddest movie I've seen but I wouldn't laugh at a grown man crying at some of the sadder moments. Adam Sandler plays a great role too.

Kissing Jessica Stein - the scene with Tovah Feldshuh on the porch talking to her daughter!

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - the scene with Amber Tamberlyn watching the little girl's video.
Heartbreaking!

The Color Purple

"I may be retarted just not that stupid." - Me

“Stupid is who stupid does”Forrest Gump.

I have to return some videotapes.
UMWolf....good one. My Life was pretty sad, no way getting around that tragic plot I had forgotten all about that one.

The Color Purple was a sad movie, indeed.

Sorry, I haven't read every post in this thread, so maybe missed a mention of LONELY ARE THE BRAVE (Miller 1962).

Nice work by Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands, George Kennedy and Walter Matthau in a little film that gets gloomy only at its moving, tragic end. An all-time fave.