Long Live the Zombie Genre!

Tools    

I, myself, along with many people on planet earth that call themselves 'Human' love zombie films. Not sure exactly how many, because I'm sure each hour another person finishes watching Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Return of the living Dead, Shaun of the Dean and 28 days later, amongst many others and henseforth falls in love with Zombies.

I know I'm going to be filming a couple zombie films, one my own and a film school friends, and many film makers small or big plant to make a zombie movie. Now...

Why, ever since the beginning of the zombie genre in books by H. P. Lovecraft and the loveable Edgar Allen Poe, and the George Romero's franchise, why has the need and lust for zombie movies never died down? It has been up and running and going strong for all this time, never a fad or a crazy but so much a part of everday literary culture, slow and steady not unlike our undead counterparts?

One reason i can think of... maybe we all know it to be true, subconsciously, but a zombie film in a way depicts the means in which Judgement Day, the Apocalypse, the End of the World with appear before us? It's in the book of Revelations! And what humanity is doing through these films and publications, really, a creating a library of training films and text in which humanity can learn from, the knowledge we need to defend ourselves and our right to live on earth and stop the zombie hords from overrunning civilisation!

If I were a parent, I would do your kids a facour, buy every single zombie film possible and show them to your offspring. Not only for sheer entertainment value, but in the years to come, it may not be in your life time,or theirs, but we must pass this knowledge down from generation to generation so when the time comes we are ready to fight back and send these f*@kers back to hell!

Or it could just be zombies are really cool, that's why lots of people like them.... I don't know.

Remember: Destroy the Brain, decapitate the head, or just run like *****.

Cheers.

My old man hates -- hates -- zombie films. Not necessarily because he thinks they're bad, but simply because he's terrified of zombies. There's also something, he points out, inherently despondent about them. They're not like other horror films; the zombies, after all, tend to "win" in some fashion. They keep coming, and coming, and coming. One could make the case that a fair number of zombie films are ultimately about the inevitability of death.

Anyway, I think some of them are fun, but most are fairly depressing, too. Frankly, I think we're better off when only the better ideas are seeing the light of day, and that usually means too few films to constitute an actual "genre."

I'm a fan myself, and aye, more plz!

Feed me breadcrumbs
Black Sheep is comin out soon fullahz - enjoy. Mind you its Zombie-ish sheep, not peeps. Supposed to be good, I as yet haven't seen... but I'm hearing good things about it.

My old man hates -- hates -- zombie films. Not necessarily because he thinks they're bad, but simply because he's terrified of zombies. There's also something, he points out, inherently despondent about them. They're not like other horror films; the zombies, after all, tend to "win" in some fashion. They keep coming, and coming, and coming. One could make the case that a fair number of zombie films are ultimately about the inevitability of death.

Anyway, I think some of them are fun, but most are fairly depressing, too. Frankly, I think we're better off when only the better ideas are seeing the light of day, and that usually means too few films to constitute an actual "genre."

Your dads right about that... but that's what makes Zombie films the best for of social commentary. In the inevitability of Death, both the corruption within humainity, and, what really matters boil over to the surface.

Zombie movies have always appealed to me due to my love of violence and gore. The fact that zombies have a human aspect to them but behave and look deformed allows for movie makers to exploit that and include scenes with morally wrong acts (such as slaughter). In my opinion I feel much better watching a zombie's leg cut off as opposed to a helpless innocent (such as those in 'Hostel'). Give these zombies more human characteristics and it becomes a Texas chainsaw massacre style movie which in my opinion are quite distasteful.

Zombie movies have always appealed to me due to my love of violence and gore. The fact that zombies have a human aspect to them but behave and look deformed allows for movie makers to exploit that and include scenes with morally wrong acts (such as slaughter). In my opinion I feel much better watching a zombie's leg cut off as opposed to a helpless innocent (such as those in 'Hostel'). Give these zombies more human characteristics and it becomes a Texas chainsaw massacre style movie which in my opinion are quite distasteful.
But don't you just feel sorry for the poor zombies... all of them are victims (Sure they are coming to eat you, forgive them they're hungry!), infected by a virus or disease unknown to us (except if you were responcible for that rackoon city incident) now condemned to walk the earth til they rot!

Killing them is , in a sense, basically, salvation... for us and their soul.

*BUMP*

Can anyone reccomend some good zombie flicks for me? I've seen a lot of indie/low budget ones, and enjoy them no matter how bad they are.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Dead Alive: Peter Jackson's early work long before LOTR

*BUMP*

Can anyone reccomend some good zombie flicks for me? I've seen a lot of indie/low budget ones, and enjoy them no matter how bad they are.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
City of the Living Dead
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore
Living Dead Girl
Zombie Bloodbath Trilogy
Grapes of Death
The Beyond
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Return of the Evil Dead
Bone Sickness
The Dead Next Door
House by the Cemetery
Zombie

check out all of these if you haven't already!

Horrorphiliac

Lets Have A 'PARTAY'!!!
I love zombie films..... I don't know why.... I just do!!! They're just BRILLIANT!!!

ha i agree with craygo

City of the Living Dead
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Living Dead Girl
Zombie Bloodbath Trilogy
Grapes of Death
The Beyond
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Return of the Evil Dead
Bone Sickness
The Dead Next Door
House by the Cemetery
Zombie

Thanks for the list. Net Flix is down right now, but as soon as it is up I'm going to add the ones I haven't seen.

I just say 'Gangs of the Dead', and it was a pretty good low budget flick with a suprise/funny ending.

I have a clown zombie movie in transit. I'll let you know the title, and what I thought once I get a chance to check it out.

I love zombie films..... I don't know why.... I just do!!! They're just BRILLIANT!!!
brilliant? They are not brilliant. I'd call them pure entertainment, but not brilliant.

Thanks for the list. Net Flix is down right now, but as soon as it is up I'm going to add the ones I haven't seen.

I just say 'Gangs of the Dead', and it was a pretty good low budget flick with a suprise/funny ending.

I have a clown zombie movie in transit. I'll let you know the title, and what I thought once I get a chance to check it out.
Don't forget Shaun of the Dead and The Evil Dead (Ok that movie was low-budget, but it's a classic)

City of the Living Dead
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Living Dead Girl
Zombie Bloodbath Trilogy
Grapes of Death
The Beyond
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Return of the Evil Dead
Bone Sickness
The Dead Next Door
House by the Cemetery
Zombie

Dude you are the man! I've only got a couple of these but I do have a bunch of others. I may have to go and track down a real list and put it here. Trouble is I have so many movies it takes me awhile to sort through them all.