Pan's Labyrinth

→ in
Tools    

I searched and can find no references at all to this film on here, which is a little surprising because it's damn good. The trailer does an excellent job of making it look like a standard Hollywood fantasy crap-o-rama a la The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (actually, I haven't seen that, but it looks bad) or LOTR, but it's really very very good. Has anyone else seen it?

I'm seeing it on thursday. Rather looking forward to it, even though it means travelling to a cinema that's actually showing it. Have heard nothing but good things about it, potentially film of the year? Despite that, i know very little about it, not even seen the trailer but Tel Dorro's Cronos and Devil's Backbone are two awesome films...

rhymes with Goebbels
Yeah, I've been pretty desperate to see it. At this point it looks like I'll be forced to download, sadly.

I'm blessed with living just across the street from the Picturehouse so it's easy for me to go and see real films.

And I'd say it's definitely the best film I've seen this year, although I can't really think of another particularly good film that's been out so far.

Seeing it tonight, can't wait.

Work of genius ! I advise everyone to see it.

I thought it was excellent. I was a little surprised at first as I hadn't done my research and didn't realise it had Spanish subtitles! But that seemed to melt away as I quickly became fully engrossed in the film, which was good throughout and had a fantastic ending.

Shared Hosting from $1.50 per month!
Also offer Reseller hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers!

Pan's Labyrinth was great. I missed a minute or two of the subtitles because some idiot had them below the screen... but it's a pretty good picture, really kept my attention. It's not a major fantasy film (more bloodshed than fairy dust) but that was A-OK with moi.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Fantastic film, best of last year, imo. I thought it was better than the Devil's Backbone, because the supernatural element was much creepier. Although I was 8 months pregnant when I watched it, and if you've seen it you'll know why that was not such a good idea...

Definitely best film I've seen in a long time.

Pan's Labrynth is absolutely beautiful. A masterpiece. When I first saw it in 2006, the film just blew me away. It's sorta like an adult version of Labrynth if you wish. With the film now having been released in theaters I have seen it again 3 more times (so far). Written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy,Mimic,Cronos), the film is highly recommended.

My grade - A+

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Picturehouse Entertainment presents
A Guillermo Del Toro Film
Pan's Labyrinth

Starring:
Ariadna Gil....Carmen Vidal
Ivana Baquero....Ofelia
Sergi López....Capitán Vidal
Maribel Verdú....Mercedes
Doug Jones....Pan/Pale Man
Álex Angulo....Dr. Ferreiro
Manolo Solo....Garcés
César Vea....Serrano
Roger Casamajor....Pedro
Ivan Massagué....El Tarta
Gonzalo Uriarte....Francés
Eusebio Lázaro....Padre - Father
Francisco Vidal....Cura - Priest (as Paco Vidal)
Juanjo Cucalón....Mayor
Lina Mira....Mayor's Wife

'Innocence Has A Power Evil Cannot Imagine'......

"Pan's Labyrinth" is a fanciful and chilling story set against the backdrop of a fascist regime in 1944 rural Spain. The film centers on Ofelia, a lonely and dreamy child living with her mother and adoptive father; a military officer tasked with ridding the area of rebels. In her loneliness, Ofelia creates a world filled with fantastical creatures and secret destinies. With post-war repression at its height, Ofelia must come to terms with her world through a fable of her own creation.

Links:
PansLabyrinth.com | MySpace.com/PansLabyrinth
Teaser Hi-Def Teaser
Trailer Hi-Def Trailer
Intl Teaser
Intl Trailer #1
Intl Trailer #2 4 Film Clips
TV Spots

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
In the eyes of a child, anything is possible. Having had less time to observe the sometimes predictable ways in which the world works, their minds are not yet constrained by the possible. Adults are not so joyously naive and carefree, but they can still relish movies like Pan's Labyrinth, which suggest that fairy tales exist, but are much more grown-up than the versions they were told growing up.

The film is set in Spain in 1944, and devotes most of its screen time to the struggle between a Franco-fascist compound and the rebels in the surrounding woods. Its more fantastical elements make sporadic appearances, and demand the attention of the viewer all the more as a result. This wonderful scarcity puts the viewer in the same mindest as the film's main character, Ofelia (played by 12-year old Ivana Baquero), a young girl unfortunate enough to be born in such a perilous time and place. The audience, like Ofelia, is constantly looking forward to the next magical repreive from the harsh reality staring them in the face.

Doug Jones and Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth
Make no mistake: this is not a film for children. It more than earns its R-rating with several scenes of extremely brutal, realistic violence. Moviegoers would not be wrong to wonder if they'd accidently stumbled into Saw IV. Viewers in North America will see a subtitled version, further emphasizing the fact that youngsters should steer clear.

Pan's Labyrinth is unceasingly tense, thanks in large part to director Guillermo del Toro's use of sound, particularly when it comes to sharp edges. You can hear the point of every blade, and it's hard not to shudder in anticipation of what they might end up plunging into.

One of the most impressive things about this film, however, is its minimalist use of CGI. del Toro's creations look fantastic in both the light and the dark, but are only used when needed. And, with one slight exception towards the film's end, we're not given any of the generally lifeless, screen-filling CGI vistas that permeate so many of today's movies. A shot inside the womb of Ofelia's mother stands out as a particularly breathtaking, personal use of the technology. del Toro's philosophy on CGI appears to be that it should do only a few things, and it should do them very well.

One of these things is the titular Pan, a faun whose name "only the wind and the trees can pronounce" (how very Narnian). But Mr. Tumnus, he ain't; Pan's deep, rich voice work is phenomenal and conveys an Aslan-esque degree of knowledge and experience that is as likely to inspire fear as it is respect. Suitably, there are twists and turns to both storylines, and more than a few questions when they threaten to converge near the film's conclusion.

Pan's Labyrinth is not an easy film to watch, but it is extremely easy to recommend. It is unique, challenging, and a welcome example of how technology can complement and enhance a story, rather than overwhelm it. It is also a testament to the usefulness and power of the human imagination, and the fact that it remains alive and well, even in grown-ups.

I'm uber siked to see this movie but I've heard its a bit dark and depressing... though it was from someone not as into Sci-fi as I am... would this be a good movie to see on a date with a fellow sci-fi lover?

Originally Posted by AmyLovesYou
I'm uber siked to see this movie but I've heard its a bit dark and depressing... though it was from someone not as into Sci-fi as I am... would this be a good movie to see on a date with a fellow sci-fi lover?
I don't think so, no. It's not a sci-fi film, for starters, and there's really not any romance in it, either. It's just a brutal, grown-up fairy tale, really.

This was the best film i've seen a long time. The visuals were amazing, and cinematography was beautiful. I loved the perfect balance between the fantasy and real-life aspects of the film. Guillermo Del Toro just gave himself a major upgrade be creating this film. A new major player is in town, and his names Guillermo.

Looks like a badass movie.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.