What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Originally Posted by JessG1020
Letters of Iwo Jima... finally
how was it, i am dying to see that and freedom writers!

-The Breakfast Club

Because I Said So- soo funny and cute.

The Departed

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Letters From Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood)

The Departed (Martin Scorsese)

My fourth time watching it.

Blood Diamond

Bridge To Terabithia-It was a great movie

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2006 remake. It was too gory for my liking ...
"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."

Epic Movie - I wish I had paid to get in so I could demand my money back. Scary Movie 2 was better

I've been monstrously busy, so I've got a backlog of films I haven't done reviews for, but once again I'll just have to give a brief impression and grade for each.

Venus (Roger Michell)
O'Toole is great and I'm glad they let his character have some darker, creepier edges than one might have thought going in. He plays a version of himself, had he not been an international success but managed to hang around the margins of the industry but still has similar notorious appetites for drink and women. Sadly apart from O'Toole's wonderful presence, there is nothing to this movie. It's fine, but completely forgettable. I think Peter's Oscar nomination was well deserved and any fan will definitely want to see his work, but it's just too bad the movie around him isn't anywhere near as magnetic and special as the legendary O'Toole.
GRADE: B-

The Good German (Steven Soderbergh)
Big disappointment. On a technical level, the cinematography and set design are pretty frickin' cool. I think Clooney is an underrated actor and Cate Blanchett is always a joy to watch on screen. Unfortunately the script is witless and the meandering narrative never becomes at all interesting, much less compelling. Toby Maguire has a very limited range and he is embarrassingly bad in this, totally miscast. But what a let down. I was hoping for a modern remix of The Third Man and Casablanca, but it doesn't come anywhere close to that standard. A real misstep from a great filmmaker.
GRADE: C-

Breach (Billy Ray)
Really well made combo of The Falcon & the Snowman and Donnie Brasco, based on the true story of FBI traitor Robert Hanson. Ryan Phillippe is turning into a decent actor, but this is Chris Cooper's movie all the way and he's fantastic. It probably underachieves a bit in that it doesn't go as deep into its characterizations and motivations as Falcon & the Snowman, but it's still a good movie. And Cooper rocks.
GRADE: B+

Reno 911!: Miami (Ben Garant)
I'm not a huge fan of the TV show, but it can be fitfully amusing in spurts. For me it's a case of the same joke getting tiring after a while with no variation. The movie version is the same problem. There are laughs, to be sure, though most of the best ones are in the trailers and TV commercials. It's also raunchier than the TV show and definitely earns its R-rating. There are a bunch of celebrity cameos, from The Rock and Danny DeVito on down, and they clearly had a bit of a bigger budget to play with. But compared to the best comedies of recent years, it's not even close to being top notch. This is only for hardcore fans of the TV show.
GRADE: C-

The Portland International Film Festival also just ended this weekend, so I've got a whole long list of films from that one. But I'll be making a separate thread for them.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The last move I saw was Ghost Rider. It's awesome to see an Elvis impersonator riding on a Hell cycle!

Zodiac (David Fincher)

Adapted from Robert Graysmith's non-fiction account of the infamous killer who stalked California in the late '60 and early 1970s and the speculation on his identity, Zodiac is fantastic, an epic procedural that's more All the President's Men than SE7EN or Silence of the Lambs. It's smart, credible and entertaining as Hell. Great cast, led by Jake Gyllenhaal as Graysmith, the San Francisco Chronicle's editorial cartoonist who is also a puzzle nut and becomes obsessed with the case. Mark Ruffalo is just right as Inspector Toschi, the lead investigator when one of the homicides finally comes to Frisco. And Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely brilliant as Paul Avery, the Chronicle crime reporter covering Zodiac, stealing the movie every second he's on screen. I love the way Fincher cast the movie, not just the three ostensible leads, because top to bottom they're not only great actors but mostly people who don't get enough high-profile work. I suppose Brian Cox is the biggest "name" among them, playing attorney and media star Melvin Belli, but the rest include Philip Baker Hall (Secret Honor, Hard Eight), Anthony Edwards (Top Gun, "e.r."), Elias Koteas (The Thin Red Line, The Prophecy), Donal Logue (The Tao of Steve, "Grounded for Life"), Chloë Sevigny (Boys Don't Cry, "Big Love"), Dermot Mulroney (The Safety of Objects, The Family Stone), Charles Fleischer (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, "Welcome Back Kotter"), James LeGros (Living in Oblivion, Safe), Ione Skye (Say Anything..., The Rachel Papers), John Getz (Blood Simple, The Fly), John Carroll Lynch (Fargo, "The Drew Carey Show"), Adam Goldberg (The Salton Sea, Saving Private Ryan), Clea DuVall (Thirteen Conversations About One Thing, Girl Interrupted) and John Terry (Full Metal Jacket, "Lost"). Fincher's style is all over the movie, but it isn't as thick as his previous films, instead pulling back a bit to recreate the Northern California of thirty-five years ago and play the events straight. Even if you know going in who Graysmith's book named as the probable killer, it's totally compelling and tension-filled. It's also damn funny. Very well balanced, expertly constructed and filmed by a master. It runs more than two and a half hours, and frankly I wanted it to keep going for a couple more.

GRADE: A

Originally Posted by BobbyB
In terms of Fight Club, The Game, Alien3, Panic Room and Se7en, where would you rank this?
1. Zodiac, A
2. SE7EN, A
3. Fight Club, A
4. Panic Room, B+
5. The Game, B-
6. Alien³, C-