Saving Private Ryan Anniversary DVD?

Tools    

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Wow! Time sure flies, doesn't it? Next year will be 10 years since the release of what I consider to be the greatest war film of all time.

My question is if anyone knows if they'll be releasing an anniversary DVD? I have the current one, but it doesn't have very many extras.

You ready? You look ready.
They made a special edition for the 60th anniversary of D-Day. I think that's as close as you'll get.

HERE is a link to the DVD. A fine addition to a WWII collection I might add.

EDIT: If you want your Saving Private Ryan in DTS, go HERE.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Why would they make a special edition of a movie that was neither groundbreaking nor made long enough ago to need substantial refurbishing?
Making-of featurettes and interviews, of course.

Making of money, you mean.
No, both are correct. And as much as you or I may dislike it, it's hardly unusual. Of course, it doesn't take much imagine to discern just why you chose to focus your distaste for special edition DVDs on this particular film.

Next year will be 10 years since the release of what I consider to be the greatest war film of all time.
Okay, I just gotta ask, BobbyB--what exactly did you like about that movie??? I went into the theater ready to like it, wanting to like it, and was extremely disappointed to find out all of its vaunted "realism" was just Hollywood hype.

To be honest, I think Saving Private Ryan is a poor movie as well as grossly overrated. Behind the infamous D-Day scene and the great technical aspects of the film...the script is terrible, the acting is mediocre, and...did I mention the script was terrible?

And BobbyB; the greatest war movie of all time? Far from it.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Well, I'm not going to be able to convince any of you, I just liked the way it was so personal. They were a family going out to save one man.

I dunno...I just liked the whole thing.

Well, I'm not going to be able to convince any of you, I just liked the way it was so personal. They were a family going out to save one man.

BobbyB, I give you alot of respect for what you said. Most people would have gone crazy and tried to convince me and defend the film's greatness. But you on the other hand chose to just show maturity...and that's always cool in my book.

And honestly, I do understand what your saying, even if I kinda disagree, haha...

No, both are correct. And as much as you or I may dislike it, it's hardly unusual. Of course, it doesn't take much imagine to discern just why you chose to focus your distaste for special edition DVDs on this particular film.
My dislike for the film is a matter of record, yes, but I'd feel the same way about any middling film getting a puffed up reissue after a mere decade. It makes sense with films that were groundbreaking, and it certainly makes sense in the case of movies where the original cinematic vision was badly distorted by executive meddling. But for a movie that didn't change anything from a conceptual or technical standpoint and wasn't butchered by the money men, it's just a cash grab.

This movie's amazing. By saying it's a poor script you'd have to be comparing it to some spectacular stuff which overall wouldn't be making a very strong point. And, I thought the acting was good, not to mention the technical challenges that alone make this movie worth watching over and over again.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

You ready? You look ready.
If we are limiting ourselves to just movies, then I totally agree with BobbyB on this being the greatest war film of all time. However, I will always pick Band of Brothers over this film when it comes to a war production. Saving Private Ryan just can NOT touch one of the greatest miniseries ever created. Band of Brothers blows this movie out of the water, ten times over, on everything. Writing, acting, technical aspects. I'm still in sheer awe over the perfection that was orchestrated in the miniseries. But yea, other then that I agree with BobbyB.

Jeez, Bob, I wasn't asking you to convert me or even to "defend" your preference for the movie--if you like it, you like it. I just thought you might share some of the reasons you like it. You know, like in a regular discusssion, which there should be more of in this forum.

For instance, one of the things that bothered me was that there was so much hype about how authentic the film was. Yet in the scene where some of the rangers are sitting at a table looking through dogtags of dead paratroopers, there is a group of what we are told are wounded paratroopers in a field behind them, and sitting there in the midst of those supposedly wounded paratroopers is a black soldier. But the All-American and Screaming Eagle paratroop divisions that jumped into Normandy were not integrated in 1943. There were black paratroopers but they served in segregated units, none of which jumped into Normandy on D-Day. A small thing, yes, but not authentic!

The studio also made a big thing about Hanks and the other stars spending a couple of weeks in a Hollywood "boot camp" where an ex-soldier was supposed to get them in shape and teach them how an Army unit moves. Well, if there was such a camp, those bozos must have slept through it. I haven't been any closer to combat than any of those actors but I did 3 years in the US Army starting with 8 weeks of basic training back in 1961, and I still remember how one moves using cover and concealment in a combat situation. They instead show one guy taking a back step from behind cover while talking to the French family right into the gunsight of a Nazi sniper, like there's no war within 100 miles of where he's standing! Ka-pow, and another "veteran ranger" bites the dust!

One thing they told us--and had us practice--was a frontal assualt on a machinegun bunker, which the Army claimed could be done with a minimum of two rifle teams (I thought they were extremely over-confident even then--I wouldn't want to try it with less than a couple of platoons, and even then you're likely to lose a lot of men). Hanks is down to less than one rifle team when he tries that maneuver early in the film. Miraculously, he knocks out the machinegun but gets his medic killed in the process! Now why is a medic participating in an assault? His job is to stay back until someone is wounded--that's when he goes to work!

That's just some of the reasons I didn't like that movie. And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why they sent that green trilingual company clerk along with the beat up rangers to save Pvt. Ryan. I never could figure out what his contribution was supposed to be--was he going to ask the French and Germans if they had seen Ryan???