What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by sicksim
I found Donnie Darko completely wacked it was like he relived his day and he was caught in a loop hole of reliving his life till he died. The movie it self was quite confusing but then was annoying because Donnie could of saved him and his girl. It was a stupid twisted movie like Butterfly effect and if your seen Donnie Darko tell me your opion how you looked at the movie
I loved Donnie Darko. Far from being stupid, it's a thought provoking, interesting picture.

WARNING: "Donnie Darko" spoilers below
Also, Donnie did save the girl. I think you missed the whole Christ-like nature of the Donnie Darko story. He had to sacrifice himself to save everyone else. In the film, a tangent universe is created when the engine enters a temporal anomoly in spacetime. In the tangent universe, Donnie possesses some level of supernatural power, as well as a heightened awareness to the temporal scism. Notice how most of the other characters act strangely, like they can almost pick up on the fact that something is wrong, but not quite. Donnie's mental problems clue us into the fact that perhaps he has a somewhat stronger level of spiritual cognisance that the rest of the poeple involved. The film is his quest to understand himself, and through that, what he must do the realign the space time continuum.

I mean, any time travel story or film is going to run into a paradox at some point, so there are some holes in the time traveling here and there, but this stuff is all secondary to the themes of salvation and redemption this film tries to get across.

Donnie talks this concept over with the science teacher (well played in an understated role by Noah Wiley). The teacher states, and I paraphrase here, that foreknowledge of events constitutes a form of time travel, because really, if you know exactly what will happen for the next thirty or so days, you are, in ssence, existing in the future, on an energetic and mental level, if not actually on a physical level.

I believe the majority of the film happens in a fraction of a second, right as the engine is falling through the roof, and Donnie is faced with death. We have seen this mechanic used before, in Scorsese's wonderful The Last Temptation of Christ (which also happens to be one of the films playing at the double feature Donnie takes Gretchen to). Donnie lives the next thirty days in the tangeant universe, finds out the outcome, and, more importantly, how he can change everything for the better, and then decides to let himself die, collapsing the scism in time, and saving everyone else in the world, through self sacrifice. So, none of the event you witness after the engine crashes into the house the first time actually happen, as Donnie is able to project himself forward, gain insight and direction, and change the apocalyptic outcome (basically the end of the world), and, in essence, travel back in time to save the world.

"Donnie Darko, what are you, sounds like some kind of super hero or something" - Gretchen Ross

A wonderful concept that is executed pretty well for a freshman director. The film has a few flaws, for sure, but I find it interesting and compelling, personally. It's pretty well made and acted for a low budget festival piece, as well.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I loved Donnie Darko. Far from being stupid, it's a thought provoking, interesting picture.

Also, Donnie did save the girl. I think you missed the whole Christ-like nature of the Donnie Darko story. He had to sacrifice himself to save everyone else. In the film, a tangent universe is created when the engine enters a temporal anomoly in spacetime. In the tangent universe, Donnie possesses some level of supernatural power, as well as a heightened awareness to the temporal scism. Notice how most of the other characters act strangely, like they can almost pick up on the fact that something is wrong, but not quite. Donnie's mental problems clue us into the fact that perhaps he has a somewhat stronger level of spiritual cognisance that the rest of the poeple involved. The film is his quest to understand himself, and through that, what he must do the realign the space time continuum.

I mean, any time travel story or film is going to run into a paradox at some point, so there are some holes in the time traveling here and there, but this stuff is all secondary to the themes of salvation and redemption this film tries to get across.

Donnie talks this concept over with the science teacher (well played in an understated role by Noah Wiley). The teacher states, and I paraphrase here, that foreknowledge of events constitutes a form of time travel, because really, if you know exactly what will happen for the next thirty or so days, you are, in ssence, existing in the future, on an energetic and mental level, if not actually on a physical level.

I believe the majority of the film happens in a fraction of a second, right as the engine is falling through the roof, and Donnie is faced with death. We have seen this mechanic used before, in Scorsese's wonderful The Last Temptation of Christ (which also happens to be one of the films playing at the double feature Donnie takes Gretchen to). Donnie lives the next thirty days in the tangeant universe, finds out the outcome, and, more importantly, how he can change everything for the better, and then decides to let himself die, collapsing the scism in time, and saving everyone else in the world, through self sacrifice. So, none of the event you witness after the engine crashes into the house the first time actually happen, as Donnie is able to project himself forward, gain insight and direction, and change the apocalyptic outcome (basically the end of the world), and, in essence, travel back in time to save the world.

"Donnie Darko, what are you, sounds like some kind of super hero or something" - Gretchen Ross

A wonderful concept that is executed pretty well for a freshman director. The film has a few flaws, for sure, but I find it interesting and compelling, personally. It's pretty well made and acted for a low budget festival piece, as well.
Very nice explanation there Sedai. I have a question for you though.

Why did that psycho looking bunny end up being that kid who was in that car that killed her? What was the entire significance of that?

I just bought strangers with Candy....it was 2 dollars and the show was super funny

oh wait I got The Mission Impossible too

Little Miss Sunshine

Sir! No Sir!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bought taxi driver yesterday. I was waiting for it to go on special....finally did. Great movie and I prefer buying older movies on DVD for preservation purposes.

Mission Impossible it was sent to me by mistake.

Leviathan's envy~~
The Devil Wears Prada, for it's new.

got it as an Xmas gift

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver

got it as an Xmas gift
Are red x's the in thing now this Christmas.

Jet Li's Fearless - Christmas present from my brother

Visit my movie forum below made 4U!
The newest DVD I bought was V for Vendetta. Now I know the movie has been out for a while but it's the only one I was missing from my collection of superhero type movies.