Battlestar Galactica, Seasons 1 & 2

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've watched the first two episodes of Season 2 so far.

And the whole second disc showed up today from Netflix, so I still have six episodes sitting here waiting for me. And now the dilemma starts: How the heck do I get any work done for the next day when I have this sudden urge to do what I did with the first season of "Lost" ... just watch 'em all back to back and eat snacks.

One tiny question about this first to-be-continued set of episodes: If the crew of the BSG didn't know a cylon ship had crashed into one of its bays, how did they at some point just magically know how many cylons were left to kill? (At one point Tigh says there are only two left. How does he know this? Did I miss something?)

You people have ruined me.

Thanks. I think.

A system of cells interlinked
I think there were some initial reports from the affected crew right when the cylons were first sighted as to the number that had got on board. I loved that event on the show. In the old 70s series, some colonial warrior in bad polyester would fire a few laser beams in the cylons direction, and they would all topple over easily. These things get on-board in this show, and these people are in TROUBLE. Just a few of the centurians bring all sorts of havoc and mayhem to the ship. I love the scenes where people can hear screams etc. in the distance, it's all dark, and the terror is building. I love how the show consistantly deconstructs the gung-ho, "walk through the enemies" methods of the 70s.

Keep a close eye on 'ol Tigh. He has turned out to be one of my favorite characters.

It's also cool how the repurcussions of the events at the end of season one continue for quite a few episodes into season 2 before the crew find their footing again, and even then, they aren;t quite 100%.

So, this far in, Aus.... show not what you expected when we first recommeded it?

Love it!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yeah, Tigh is easily my favorite character. His overall arch is fantastic and just the few episodes that hint at his past give enough gruff to balance all his motivations out. I want to name my first son Tight in his honor.

No Mercy!

And yes, obviously you like the show, but I think we need an overall addiction rating.

Here's what I love about this show so far, especially when compared to the other sci-fi show I used to watch faithfully (Star Trek: Next Generation):

-- THIS show is gritty, realistic, and NOT antiseptic. No polyester play-suits for the folks. The civilization isn't SO advanced that they don't have GREASE PENCILS any more. (I noticed the red grease pencil on the backlit map and thought, "Good for them. They didn't come up with some sort of fake new-fangled device for this when a common grease pencil would work just fine.") Same with the tape dispenser.

-- ANYONE could die. This is one of the good elements of any show like this (I'd include "Lost" and "24" in this assessment.) That is, it's realistic enough that once in a while even a major character might not make it -- so you never know! Realistic.

-- Enough ambivalence to keep you guessing. Not everyone is against every cylon. (Note Helo in particular, and Gaius, assuming he's not a cylon himself. *cough*) Not everyone likes 'em either.

-- YES, the fact that five centurions can wreak such havoc is realistic and was very well done. There wasn't some seamless plan of attack for this. It was fairly seat-of-the-pants and it had holes in it, and they had to adapt the plan of attack constantly. Nice.

-- Enough subplots to constantly keep the plot moving.

-- Even the characters I thought might end up as stereotypes while watching the miniseries (Starbuck, Tigh, Gaius, etc.) are turning out to be fascinating, multilayered characters.

-- Enough plot to keep it going well into the future. I just don't see HOW you could quickly wrap all this up, even if they bumped into Earth in the very next episode. I LOVE that about any good ensemble-cast show, "Lost" being another one. Some folks get frustrated that "Lost" will answer one question for ya and then ask two more in the same episode. But I LOVE that about it. BSG feels the same way: It feels like it's peeling the layers off an onion plot-wise and character-development-wise.

A seemingly ever-growing onion, to boot.

Addiction level? Feels a lot like how I felt/feel about "Lost." I think about "Lost" (which is on hiatus in midseason until early February) almost every day. Not for long, mind you -- but it crosses my mind, and I wonder fleetingly what will happen to this or that character when the show starts back up.

It's now that way with the characters of BSG: I think about them a lot, each day. And I am at the point where household chores are in serious danger of being thrown by the wayside so I can sit and watch a whole disc of episodes and indulge.

Hubby will be going out of town to visit his mom in Florida, starting Sunday, and will be away for 12 days. I'll miss him terribly (over the holidays too!), although I'm glad he'll get to see his mom over the holiday. Still, a small part of me thought, "Oooh, I can play all the episodes of BSG I can get my hands on while he's gone!! Any time of day or night!"

It will keep me from getting lonely, and yet not inconvenience him too. A perfect time to indulge and catch up, and fight off aloneness.

Suffice it to say I now ADORE this show. I was very skeptical while watching the miniseries -- I LOVED the plot ideas and how realistic they were, but I found the characters shallow. Well, duh -- I guess I just didn't know them yet. Not shallow. Just new.

So, although it has taken me longer to get into this show than it did "Lost" (anyone who's seen that very first episode of "Lost" knows what I mean), I think it feels far more addictive than "Lost."

A hint at my level of interest: We've been watching the SciFi miniseries, "The Lost Room," for the past few nights. Well, SciFi has this annoying habit of replaying the same commercials over and over. One is this apparently detailed commercial about BSG. The second it comes on, I stuff my fingers in my ears and do the "la la la, I'm not listening" thing. I really do -- no matter who's in the room. Hubby thinks I'm nuts and frowns at me from across the room, but I don't want to SPOIL anything from Season 3 by seeing it too early. So I "la la la" over any commercial about BSG.

In a nutshell: It's currently my very favorite show. Nothing else comes close.

THANK YOU, guys, for the prodding to get me to watch it.

Haha, awesome. I'm very, very glad to hear it. And yeah, I've seen that BSG commercial and it is incredibly spoiler heavy as to what is going on, so good on you for skipping. Though, were you to see the whole thing, you'd not have any clue as to how they get from where they are in season 2 to where they are in season 3 - so that's good.

The ultimate question is...has Frak entered your daily vocabulary yet? While I never exactly think to say it out loud, I often times find my inner head replacing the normal with Frak every now and then. Especially when I've watched a bunch in abundance.

After reading all the comments I need to get in this series

OG- ... no, I haven't actually said it yet, although last night I did tell my wholly uninterested husband about how clever I thought it was that they just "evolved" a new swear word for the show, so they can have the characters swear normally but yet not have an FCC problem. I'm yammering on about the word "frak" and how funny I think it is that they do this, blah blah blah, and of course, his eyes glaze over.

It felt like how I get when I start blathering on about Lost or Weird Al, or Myst games, or my AlphaSmart Neo. Gahh, I'm such a NERD, and this just clinches it.

Nebbs, don't forget to start with the miniseries! (Now I sound like Sedai and OG-!)

All I saw from the commercial (I stopping la-la-laing too soon last night during one instance of the commercial) was what I *thought* was Starbuck with a very different hairstyle -- almost girlish. I did a double-take, realized it was still the BSG commercial, and went back to humming and hiding the eyes till it was over.

I think my husband is willing to have me committed sometime soon. As long as the place has a DVD player, though, I won't mind.

Still season 2 discussion -- no mention of season 3 finales, okay?

I watched the first four episodes of season 2. The next disc is waiting for me (4 episodes on it), but because of Netflix, I have to wait till Wednesday for Disc 3, so there is no hurry to watch all four.

But I will. Probably all four tomorrow. Or some tonight.

Where I am: Boomer just got shot a la Lee Harvey Oswald/Jack Ruby. THIS shooting I saw coming and I even knew who was going to do it.

My thinking, though (and again, don't tell me if I'm right -- not yet), is that Callie (or Kelly or whatever her name is) shot Boomer because Boomer talked and admitted there are 8 cylons on the ship. I think Callie/Kelly is another cylon.

From my math, I think we've definitively seen four models of humanoid cylons -- two male and two female. Is that right? (Boomer, Six, the guy they shot out the airlock, and the guy they locked up in the miniseries who protested like crazy.)

That means they still have to reveal eight other models. And each of them has copies. Nice.

I started feeling really sorry for Tigh by the time Adama showed up in his bathrobe. He looked visibly relieved to be relieved of duty. And who knew Gata had that quietly rebellious side to him?

I'm really enjoying the discussions between Gaius and Six (who came right out and said, "I'll be your conscience!" as he got on the rescue transport off Kobol! I shouted "Yes!" at the TV!), especially the ones about God, false gods, murder making you human, etc.

Peeled back a few more layers of that ol' onion today. Hubby left for Florida today so the TV is all mine for twelve days. How fast can Netflix send these things??

This. Show. Has. So. Much. Going. On.

Okay, I was watching the episode Coming Home Part 1 (or was it Going Home? oh well), and I had my first cylon "epiphany." I actually started to "get" what you guys are talking about, about the complexities of cylons and consciousness. Good ol' Sharon did it for me.

And, that whole female farm thing is just more than creepy. Will be interested to see what the good ol' doc did to her with that second incision. Some ideas are obvious....

Oh, and I pretty much guessed he was a cylon when he was doing an OB/GYN exam on her out of the blue. I mean, I thought, either he's a cylon or he's just a perv. Because you don't just think, "Gee, abdominal injury. Yeah, time for the stirrups."

Yikes.

Am really hooked now. I already have that sinking feeling that my rush of watching all the episodes I want is going to end at some point (too soon) and I'll have to wait with the rest of you guys.

So, was that a season 3 finale on Friday? How long a hiatus does this show usually have? Maybe I should be making these older episodes last!

Watched the rest of Disc 2 and now I've run out of episodes till I get the next disc on Wednesday. Ack.

Just finished "Final Cut," where we "meet" another cylon in the fleet. And we know Gaius doesn't have a chip implant. My theory of him being a cylon still works, though. I still think it's possible. So there.

It was an interesting device to have the crew members interviewed for the taped report/story. Got to see a few of them letting their hair down (Gata being a favorite).

I think I'll have to buy this whole series on DVD if I'm not careful. You guys are costing me money.

Not going to comment on observations etc, just saying thanks for sharing them. It's great to read a newcomers reactions to all the happenings on the show.

You should buy it on DVD! You're actually coming up to my favorite trilogy of episodes, which starts with, "Pegasus". I can't watch it without getting goosebumps in the first 5 minutes.

I had this nearly overwhelming urge tonight to go out to Best Buy and just BUY Season 2 and 2.5 (if I could find 'em both), partly because I know I'm going to buy them eventually now, and partly so I wouldn't have to wait till Wednesday.

Now that's just sad. LOL

I suppose I can busy myself with Christmas prep till Wednesday now....

TALK TO ME, PEOPLE! You can't just get me hooked on this show and then not come in here and talk to me about it!! (pout)

Just finished Season 2.0. Disc 1 of Season 2.5 arrives tomorrow. Good thing, too, since the season ended with a TBC and Adama about to attack the Pegasus. Yikes.

Okay, so now we have three human men (assuming Gaius ain't a cylon) in love with cylon women. When are we gonna have some human women falling in love with cylon men, huh?

One question you guys CAN answer: When Gaius made Sharon tell him how many cylons were still in the fleet, she blurted out that there were eight. Question: Did that mean eight individual cylons (of varying models) or was that a statement on how many models were left for the humans to find out about (which could mean any number of total individuals)?

I am really starting to "get" what you guys are talking about, about the cylon consciousness. I'm not overly fond of watching Gaius and his incessant panicky twitching all the time, but the scene in the "Pegasus" episode where he totally opens up to the abused Six cylon is really convincing. And amazingly ironic that he chooses these circumstances under which to become totally honest and open about everything. (Wasn't he afraid someone was listening??)

OH! One comment I keep forgetting to mention: I just ADORE how they change the number of survivors in the opening credits in each episode, based on who was gained or lost in the previous episode. So, as soon as the Pegasus episode started (with a scene before the credits), I got all giddy waiting to see the new, MUCH BIGGER survivor number show up. I think I even made some little girlish gurgly noise when I saw the number had gone up by about 1,500. Way cool thing they do there.

Another minor question: Why do some episodes start with a "Previously on..." and then little snippets of what's coming up in this episodes ... while other episodes skip the snippets entirely and go right into the show? Is there a rhyme or reason to this? I haven't caught a pattern.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Have to wait for the next disc tomorrow (around lunchtime), which is KILLIN' me.

OH! Did the Sci-Fi Channel just have some sort of BSG marathon a few days ago? Was it all Season 3?? (Can I get that lucky that my DVR recorded all these Season 3 episodes for me so I don't have to purchase them on iTunes??) I assume I can find an episode title list for Season 3 online, so I watch them in the right order.....

A system of cells interlinked
Season 3 is actually just halfway through. The finale we were all talking about is just the mid season cliffhanger. Glad you are totally digging the show! I have been just super busy with all this holiday stuff and mega hours at work, so I haven't had much MoFo time. The next few episodes are just incredible, and I am ever so jealous that you are about to plunge into them!

Oh, and, buy the DVDs. So worth it!

Originally Posted by Austruck
One question you guys CAN answer: When Gaius made Sharon tell him how many cylons were still in the fleet, she blurted out that there were eight. Question: Did that mean eight individual cylons (of varying models) or was that a statement on how many models were left for the humans to find out about (which could mean any number of total individuals)?
There are a finite number of cylon models. I'd take a guess as to how many models have been revealed to you at the point you're at, but if I were wrong I may spoil something. So it was probably that there are 8 models they (or possibly just he) don't know about it.

I am really starting to "get" what you guys are talking about, about the cylon consciousness. I'm not overly fond of watching Gaius and his incessant panicky twitching all the time, but the scene in the "Pegasus" episode where he totally opens up to the abused Six cylon is really convincing. And amazingly ironic that he chooses these circumstances under which to become totally honest and open about everything. (Wasn't he afraid someone was listening??)
Really? I absolutely love every aspect of James Callis' performance. It is unbelievably dead on every single episode. He delivers every twinge of blinding self confidence with such a brutal and unending want for nothing but himself. You can see the character flawlessly in every single thing he does. Plus, his archs and reactions are utterly hilarious.

OH! One comment I keep forgetting to mention: I just ADORE how they change the number of survivors in the opening credits in each episode, based on who was gained or lost in the previous episode. So, as soon as the Pegasus episode started (with a scene before the credits), I got all giddy waiting to see the new, MUCH BIGGER survivor number show up. I think I even made some little girlish gurgly noise when I saw the number had gone up by about 1,500. Way cool thing they do there.
Ya know what, I honestly never even noticed that until you pointed it out. Sweetness.

Another minor question: Why do some episodes start with a "Previously on..." and then little snippets of what's coming up in this episodes ... while other episodes skip the snippets entirely and go right into the show? Is there a rhyme or reason to this? I haven't caught a pattern.
My guess is that it probably has to do with airing dates (ie if it had been a while between episodes) or if they re-introduce characters/threads from episodes that didn't seem as important in the past, but are crucial for the events of the upcoming episode.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Have to wait for the next disc tomorrow (around lunchtime), which is KILLIN' me.

OH! Did the Sci-Fi Channel just have some sort of BSG marathon a few days ago? Was it all Season 3?? (Can I get that lucky that my DVR recorded all these Season 3 episodes for me so I don't have to purchase them on iTunes??) I assume I can find an episode title list for Season 3 online, so I watch them in the right order.....
There may have been a marathon leading up to the mid season finale, but I don't think there was. I'm sure there will be one between now and January 21st, when it comes back from its break (and one helluva an episode). At that point it will start airing on Sundays at 10 (I believe, maybe 9)...so there is your HBO time slot. :-P

You have to let me know what you think of the Pegasus/ Resurrection Ship(s) episodes. Damn do I love that trilogy of eps.

Oh, and just saw a commercial. There is a BSG marathon on January 15th. HOWEVER, it is going to contain "viewer comments"...which may be disruptive so I'd actually recommend watching them some other way.

Originally Posted by OG-
There are a finite number of cylon models. I'd take a guess as to how many models have been revealed to you at the point you're at, but if I were wrong I may spoil something. So it was probably that there are 8 models they (or possibly just he) don't know about it..
I know there are 12 total models. I also know there were about 4 revealed already by the time I watched that episode. So the 8, to me, seemed to mean number of model-types yet to be revealed.

Originally Posted by OG-
Really? I absolutely love every aspect of James Callis' performance. It is unbelievably dead on every single episode. He delivers every twinge of blinding self confidence with such a brutal and unending want for nothing but himself. You can see the character flawlessly in every single thing he does. Plus, his archs and reactions are utterly hilarious..
You misread my statement. Sorry about that. What I dislike about watching his flinching, panicky performances is that they ARE so dead-on. I mean, in real life, nervous people like that can get pretty annoying. The fact that he's two-dimensional and on a TV screen and STILL annoying is a testament to his performance. And yes, he's hilarious.

Originally Posted by OG-
Ya know what, I honestly never even noticed that until you pointed it out. Sweetness..
And after I watched the episode where Thorn gets killed, of course the number went down by only one the next time. Again, I had to chuckle. I was *waiting* for that number to show up on the screen.

Originally Posted by OG-
My guess is that it probably has to do with airing dates (ie if it had been a while between episodes) or if they re-introduce characters/threads from episodes that didn't seem as important in the past, but are crucial for the events of the upcoming episode..
Makes sense. Probably I wouldn't notice it if I were watching the show weekly instead of hourly.

Originally Posted by OG-
There may have been a marathon leading up to the mid season finale, but I don't think there was. I'm sure there will be one between now and January 21st, when it comes back from its break (and one helluva an episode). At that point it will start airing on Sundays at 10 (I believe, maybe 9)...so there is your HBO time slot. :-P.
There was some sort of marathon showing on the 19th. My DVR picked up about six different episodes all from that same day, back to back. Yay!

Originally Posted by OG-
You have to let me know what you think of the Pegasus/ Resurrection Ship(s) episodes. Damn do I love that trilogy of eps.
Will do that later. Gotta run some errands!

I AM SO ANGRY!

Not sure if I'm angry at myself or at Sci Fi. I wanted to get a quick tie-in of actors' names to go with characters' names ... so I hopped over to scifi.com and clicked on "Cast." Thought I'd start with Starbuck and clicked on that.

Instead of launching into a few paragraphs on Katee Sackhoff's career, it blurts out this one VERY SPOILERY sentence about Starbuck's character and what she's doing NOW midseason in Season 3!

So now I'm sitting here smacking myself for not realizing they might do this, but also being REALLY MAD that they did this. When you want to read about the CAST, you want to read about the CAST, not the plot! Why do they assume everyone who watches the show at all isn't *new* to it in some way?

Okay, I'm done complaining now. I've watched all of disc 2 from Season 2.5 today (back to back -- I have no will power), up through "The Captain's Hand." (Note to self: Never accept command of the Pegasus.)

I have to wait till Wednesday for the next disc, but then another will show up on Thursday too. So, tomorrow I spend time with the first season of "Lost" (present from my daughters) and "Wonderfalls" (talked into this one by OG-) instead.

And I'll have to be a lot more discreet about how I look up cast members' names. (sigh)

When I finally get caught up, I'd like to find a forum/site where reasonably intelligent people discuss the show in more depth than the handful of us are doing here. You guys recommend any such sites? (I'm still looking for such a site for "Lost" -- too many of those sites have too many wackos who like to guess at solutions to things and are just insane.)