What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The Game starring Michael Douglas. I'm a fan of Fincher's other movies, so I figured I'd check this one out.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by jrs
the widescreen version coverart is nice
I think you mean the Special Edition version with all the extras. Both the Widescreen and Fullscreen versions of the Standard Edition have the cover art I posted.

Yeah, the SE cover art is better, but it still isn't as polished as I'd expect. It just looks manufactured and simple, like they dug up an unused studio image of Routh, Photoshopped a matte painting into the background, and added some speed washes. Anybody who even knows half their way around Photoshop could have handled that gig...

An example of recent cover art I despised is the V for Vendetta Standard version. Way too busy and cluttered, way too much red, and much too generic. In fact, I think one reason why I opted to buy the Special Edition version instead - delicious extras notwithstanding - was that the cover art was so much more stylish and unique.

But hey, the films are still the same ones I saw at the cinema... and when I display them, people can see only the spines anyway.

Originally Posted by jrs
I haven't watched it yet. It is Donner's original cut and I am psyched to watch. I know of most of additions though.
Ok yeah, I was tempted to buy it today but will go for the 2 disc special edition instead. I know someone who's going to get it anyways so will check it out then. But yeah, those additions I mentioned are the ones I've always wanted to see again. The should have been put in the dvd long a looooong time ago anyways.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
But more than that, I think they chose an image which doesn't do justice to the film.
Hmmmmm to me when I first saw it, it just looked a bit to cartoony. But that scene there with the plane was perhapst the best rescue footage in the movie. Honestly I wouldnt mind if they did keep that scene on the cover but get rid of that dopey look on his face. He doesnt look too focused there. Seems like he's thinking of louis in her bra and panties rather than saving them in that plane.

Here I believe is the spanish art cover.

And I believe this is the Austrailian cover.

And yeah, your right, that V for Vendetta cover is very blah looking. Not appealing at all.

Son of a buck! Those are both WAY better than the stateside cover art!
(Wait, WTF? It was rated R in Australia?!)
Yeah but anyone with a printer can go to this site print those suckers off and just slide them right in your own dvd case.

Sh*t your right. It does say rated R. Now i'm wondering if this is offical. STill good to print anyways.

In the Beginning...

If anyone knows or can find out what kind of paper is used for DVD covers, PLEASE let me know!

(And if anyone wants the file of this one with the correct dimensions, just let me know.)

Oh my God.

You are so my hero.
You mean more a hero than even Superman? Say it like you mean it sleezy. Go on. Say it.

Originally Posted by Escape
jrs, is this the one where it shows Zod nail the kid on a horse with that police light?
Also, in the end where it shows the cops bring the 3 villains out of the Fortress of Solitude in handcuffs? I only saw this once on t.v. and never again so I figured this would be the cut that had it.
For complete comparisons to both Donner's and Lester's versions of Superman II click here.

A system of cells interlinked

Originally Posted by jrs
For complete comparisons to both Donner's and Lester's versions of Superman II click here.

Thanks jrs. I still didn't read the parts I mentioned in there though.

Major new footage. Superman turns back time to avoid the devastation of the planet caused by the super-villains and make Lois forget his secret identity. Partially filmed by Donner. Confirmed.

This here could be neat to see but the whole time thing doesn't make sense to be used for that. Everything reverses itself except superman so the 3 villains again would reverse and go right back before the Paris bomb. So would he do it differently and just aim the bomb in a different direction or would that be left unexplained. And why didnt he just do that once he got his powers back. Just too easy for him to use this power and personally think they shouldnt have used this time revesal method in the first Superman either now that I think about it.

And so glad this Donner cut got rid of that ridiculous comedy with that clown yapping away in a phone booth that just got knocked down, or that other goof on the rollar skates. Ice cream in the face was silly too. Mm-hmmm.

Escape - There is no Paris bomb. That scene was added later for the theater cut. The entire Paris thing is gone, at this point. An errant missle from the first film breaks the zone open in this version...

Still, point taken. I have read complaints about discontinuity with the time reversal...

Originally Posted by Sedai
Still, point taken. I have read complaints about discontinuity with the time reversal...
One of the stupidest is the last joke with the invincible-again Clark returning to the bar with the guy who beat him up when he was briefly human. He does this after he reverses time, meaning that first event never happened. But when he gets there the bully recognizes him, the owner pleads for no violence as he has just spent money fixing the place up (from the first fight), and after the a-hole is dispatched Clark tells them he's been working out, thus his increased ability this outing compared to last.

Yeah, I guess that small diner up north was the one area of the world not effected by the time reversal. Maybe it's because they're so close to the Pole and they spin less, so they only got reversed part of the way?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

hmmm...thought this thread was only for recently purchased DVD's

Horrorphiliac

God bless and condemn Wal-Mart for Black Friday, Mr. Show for $15 and Cool Hand Luke for $4? How could I say no?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
One of the stupidest is the last joke with the invincible-again Clark returning to the bar with the guy who beat him up when he was briefly human. He does this after he reverses time, meaning that first event never happened. But when he gets there the bully recognizes him, the owner pleads for no violence as he has just spent money fixing the place up (from the first fight), and after the a-hole is dispatched Clark tells them he's been working out, thus his increased ability this outing compared to last.

Yeah, I guess that small diner up north was the one area of the world not effected by the time reversal. Maybe it's because they're so close to the Pole and they spin less, so they only got reversed part of the way?
Still, as long as I don;t have to see that guy on skates rolling backwards, or the idiot trying to eat an ice cream while four meta-humans destroy a city block around him, I will be OK. I mean, that is what i would do if Superman and three powerhouse destructo villains were battling mere yards from me. I would get me some tutti fruti!!

Regardless, just picked it up:

Originally Posted by Sedai
Escape - There is no Paris bomb. That scene was added later for the theater cut. The entire Paris thing is gone, at this point. An errant missle from the first film breaks the zone open in this version...
Oh ok. A little better I suppose but still the problem with if the devastation of the planet can be changed easily so should everything else such as the Villains being back in the Phantom Zone where they would have no clue what happened since it didnt take place. The first one had it's problems too. He reversed it long enough to get her from dying but still, why didnt the earth continue to crack immediately after he stopped the reversal. It just seemed to never happen. Like a tape recorder. You rewind it, stop then play again and it should continue in the same pattern. Arggggg, time travel annoys me sometimes.