Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Ground Control To Major Thom
praise where it is due... quality result no doubt

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ay, class result . Couldn't believe it watching the highlights. Healey couldn't have taken those goals any better. But their must've been some iron in the team display, like you say Tat. Did you make it to the game?

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Maybe there's just no room left in football for us national team pessimists!!!
Then again, I expect Scotland will get thrashed by Les Blues next month, unless we get McManus to do a job on Henry.......

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Hmm since we (Les Suedoises) play like ducks nowadays we need all the help we can get to get through this time. Then again, it looks like all the teams can beat each other. Congrats to Northern Ireland!

I wonder what the France - Italy game was like last night...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Golgot
Ay, class result . Couldn't believe it watching the highlights. Healey couldn't have taken those goals any better. But their must've been some iron in the team display, like you say Tat. Did you make it to the game?
I've sadly not been to Windsor Park in months (well, not sadly actually as the place is, despite some good effort, still a sectarian sh*thole) but luckily BBC2 NI had the match on live.

never one to miss an opportunity to have a go at the Welsh... and in reply to a previous day's comments about the 'crap' names in the Brazilian team at the moment, I present to you this letter from today's The Fiver.

"Re: Paul Dring's letter about scatological oversights (yesterday's Fiver). In addition to Kaka and Dudu being managed by Dunga, what about the fact that they were playing Wales?"

excellent.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I opened this up hoping to actually see people talking about the NFL.

Not the second worst sport in the history of the universe.
Bobby you are skating on thin ice

Newsflash m8, The NFL ain't football it's a game for those that don't wanna get hurt,(Come on, what's with the padding) I mean how can it even be called football when the ball is carried most of the time, The term football implies that the ball is moved with the foot not the hand hence the greatest game in the known universe.
A proper football

Footballer's (Note, There is no padding or helmet's)
Emmanuel Adebayor (A footballer) in action

Oh yeah, What's the worst sport in the universe?......
If it ain't american football it's gotta be baseball

Originally Posted by diamondgeeza
Newsflash m8, The NFL ain't football it's a game for those that don't wanna get hurt,(Come on, what's with the padding) I mean how can it even be called football when the ball is carried most of the time, The term football implies that the ball is moved with the foot not the hand hence the greatest game in the known universe.
A proper football

Footballer's (Note, There is no padding or helmet's)
Emmanuel Adebayor (A footballer) in action

Oh yeah, What's the worst sport in the universe?......
If it ain't american football it's gotta be baseball
That seems a little dumb. American football is just as great as any other sport. But I suppose it isn't your cup of tea. Football is also a wonderful sport. I don't see why not appreciate ALL sports, not just the one most common to your region. That seems a bit narrow-minded. As to the rest of your insults towards American football, the padding is necessary. Have you actually seen the size of the players in the NFL? They are about three times the size of any footballer. No player would last without pads. I don't see the relevance of trying to discredit American football because of a name, a name is just a name. And actually, I've read in a few places that the term football derives from the simple fact that it is played on foot. But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
I don't see the relevance of trying to discredit American football because of a name, a name is just a name. And actually, I've read in a few places that the term football derives from the simple fact that it is played on foot. But I could be wrong
It's probably a derivation of Rugby Football as the game evolved when rugby-playing Brits landed Stateside.

Anyway, back on topic - did anybody see the Panorama programme on bungs? I sat there for an hour waiting patiently to see the 'world of football rocked'...then it ended.

I pay £130 a year for school magazine journalism.

Panorama has to be one of the biggest let downs in years, ooh football managers and agents take bungs, quelle surprise!
Alardyce, Redknapp and Chelsea might partake in dodgy dealings, totally earth shattering stuff there.
Biggest waste of my time on a football related matter, hell even Scotland games under Berti Vogts were more lively and intresting, and that's saying something!!!
Anyhoo, biggest game in the SPL tomorrow, I never predict Old Firm games as they are a strange beast, but I'm quietly confident ( yep, I know this will come back to haunt me ) I'm away to start the big match build up with my flatmate who supports the Dark Side!!!

Depending on the evidence which was not shown, if it exists, I would be tempted to have a right go in the courts at the BBC. The written press would never have been able to publish what was broadcast as there was no basis for any of it and nothing was actually shown which proves anything.

In other news: offside goals rock

The Beeb would have been far better off concentrating their programme on one or two aspects, then biting the bullet and pulling the bloody thing before air if they didn't come up with anything substantial.

Their whole 'undercover agent' set-up was daft and, frankly, the only manager who would have fallen for it left the England job during the summer.

Fat Sam has banned the BBC from press conferences so maybe they'll show less of his rank long-ball nonsense that masquerades as The Beautiful Game on MOTD.

I bet he wishes he'd had the snip 30 years ago, too.

Still, The Mags have just sacked Bond, Kevin Bond and, though Jabba The Chairman is no stranger to paying up contracts, he obviously felt that something had gone on...

England 0 Macedonia 0, A pretty dull game and the usual lacklustre performance from the England boy's, Added with a questionable yellow card for Stevie G, Let's hope they do better against Croatia.

Now back to the important game.......Arsenal v Watford on Sat 14th, That SHOULD be an easy 3 point's!!!

Still hungover, it's not often that a Scotland fan has cause to celebrate!!!! Not only did we manage to beat Les Blues, but Scotland in top of group shocker!!!!
I haven't even phoned my family in France to gloat yet, and what with England drawing, it was cause for a double celebration Scotland styleeeeee!

Oh well, roll on humiliating defeat on wednesday night, tis the Scottish way you know!

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Oh well, roll on humiliating defeat on wednesday night, tis the Scottish way you know!

I told you, although Shevchenko is a dirty diving sod!
Now watch as Scotland self implode and finish bottom of the group!
To be fair, 9 points from our first 4 games is brilliant, hopefully this won't prove to be a flash in the pan, but I do still expect France, Italy and the Ukraine to be batteling for the top two places.
Anyhoo, it's not all doom & gloom, thanks Gary Neville........

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
I told you, although Shevchenko is a dirty diving sod!
Now watch as Scotland self implode and finish bottom of the group!
To be fair, 9 points from our first 4 games is brilliant, hopefully this won't prove to be a flash in the pan, but I do still expect France, Italy and the Ukraine to be batteling for the top two places.
Anyhoo, it's not all doom & gloom, thanks Gary Neville........
I wonder how Ginger Mac feels in running the 3rd biggest team in these Isles? Behind the Chilly Jocks and little Norn Iron, of course...