Reading Tab

Tools    

I am currently reading The Indispensable Chomsky. A very thorough book on Noam Chomsky's ideals.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
I am currently reading The Indispensable Chomsky. A very thorough book on Noam Chomsky's ideals.
Would those be Chomsky's political ideas or his linguistics. A volume aimed at, if not synthesizing, making sense of the two in relation to each other would be very nice.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm reading book three, and final, of The Asteroid Wars by Ben Bova.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

usualy when a book is made to a movie I read the book first and get Dissapointed by the movie later so at the moment I'm reading

and I must say so far it's fascinating

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Would those be Chomsky's political ideas or his linguistics. A volume aimed at, if not synthesizing, making sense of the two in relation to each other would be very nice.
It's a combination of the two. The majority of the book is spent discussing his political ideas and other sections are spent on linguistics. He makes it very clear concerning the relationship of linguistics and politics. I highly recommend it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just finished A Devil's Chaplain, a collection of Richard Dawkins' essays. He's as thought-provoking and confrontational as ever. If a bit of a weirdo.

Might start in on Elspeth Huxley's Red Strangers, which looks very promising. (It's written from an African tribe's point of view during the WW1 era, and manages to give an fresh/'outside' view of the various Europeans who arrive on the scene, amongst other things - so i'm told)

Every breath you take, watching you
I just read a book of collected stories about Los Angeles presented as both pros & cons. Fascinating to see in a way how little has changed in some of the tinseltown attitudes over the years (apologies to LA-ites).

Concurrently, read William S Burroughs - Junky which through media saturation on the topic now seems quaint, yet when first published must have been mind blowingly realistic. An interesting and quick read, although I have some doubts about his conlusions relating to drugs and their effects.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
finshed and absolutely adored

its very political though and while they may appear to be important issues within the story, i found that i couldnt give a flying monkeys butt about them. The friendship between Galinda and elphaba is very sweet and believable with elphaba the dependable but radical outsider and Galinda the rich but insecure socialite. The links to he wizard of oz movie are well explained and maguire doesnt beat you over the head with them.

just started to read:

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oooh! Undercoverlover! I recently finished The Historian and loved it! I'm a big vampire novel fan (Anne Rice, yay!), and this one, while not as lush and sensuous as Rice's works, was so genuine and intriguing that I raced through it. And I never race through books any more.

I also just got Wicked through a book club called Zooba (which I love). Haven't started it yet, though. I'm currently winding through those other books I just posted above. But Wicked is definitely on the short list.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
oooh please wicked asap, then ill have somone to talk about it with, none of my friends have read it!

ive not read anne rices books though i do want to, ive just seen the films

whats that thirteenth tale about?

Okay, I'll move Wicked up right after Thirteenth Tale. That book is hard to categorize. It's about a biographer who's interviewing an aging author (eccentric) ... one who's never been very truthful about her past and her childhood. So as she's supposedly telling her life story to this biographer (which is a very weird story), we're not entirely sure if it's true or not.

The title comes from a title of one of the author's books, which she had to change at the last minute when it was discovered that she really only had 12 stories in the book, not 13. But a few stray copies got out with the wrong cover on them. Anyway, her life story is supposedly the 13th tale....

I'm reserving judgment on this one to see how it ends. But the writing is good -- kinda reminds me of the feel of the writing in The Historian, actually.

A system of cells interlinked
Island of the Sequined Love Nun (Christopher Moore)

Lets put a smile on that block
I am currently reading....

I'm really enjoying this so far. From the other Palahniuk books i have read i've always felt his desire to bang on about consumerism and the fraudliant and pathetic side of mankind to be a little too overwhelming and the story suffers, but this one, i'm finding it interesting so far. I;m reading for my book group at work. I'm part of a book group! YAY!

I loved the film and am a big apocalyptic fiction fan so i needed to give this a go. Loving it so far. James portrayel of a dying world is so so sad. Love it. Its also uncovering some of the ambiguities of the film.

Someone bought me this for my brithday and i am really enjoying it. Working in London now, you do alot of people watching on the tube. I always find it interesting - the tube. I'm only on it briefly (Thank GOD), but i always find it quite sad and interesting at the same time how we all stand together on this metal tube, huddled so close to one another that our faces are more or less in each others armpits and our eyes constantly watching everyone else, wondering who they are and what they do, yet we never talk to eachother or acknowledge eachother unless we fall on top of one another. London is a strange city for that.

Anyway, this book is 253 pages long, with 253 stories told in 253 words about 253 passengers on the Bakerloo line. Each page has a seating plan so you can figure ut who is who, and each story tells us who they are, where they are going, a little back history and waht they are currently thinking or doing. Slowly as the book goes on you realises they are all involved in something quite horrible about to happen. Scary good stuff to read on the tube, although maybe a little too accurate for my liking.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and 30 Days of Night.

Great stuff on both fronts.

I've put Thirteenth Tale aside to forge ahead with Dexter (to try to finish the book before the series season ends). Then it's Wicked....